No announcement yet.

I've created an Infinite Voxel World, similar to Minecraft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow this is awesome.. I did it with C++ and [MENTION=10983]andrews[/MENTION]cheidecker's BrickGame.. Are your blocks Instanced Static Meshes? The last time I tried this, it lagged as hell with 16x16x16 blocks
    Hobby game developer from Germany Follow me on Twitter!
    Stuff I made:
    Steam Workshop Tutorial/Wiki
    Making a full working translation for your game and change it at runtime

Comment

That's fantastic work! Is the Blueprint -> C++ conversion tool already available?

Comment

Phenomenal work! That looks super fun. I'd love to explore it and what's powering it under the hood. Send that thing to the marketplace!
        Twitch | Twitter | Frosted Citadel Entertainment

Comment

please release this! either free here or <10 USD on the marketplace. this would be wonderful as a learning tool!

Comment

Thanks very much everyone!

I've uploaded the packaged project, so you can play it yourself and see how it feels like

https://goo.gl/KKpEia

And [MENTION=284405]unrealeng[/MENTION]ine even retweetet my tweet about it! https://twitter.com/alcatraz_john/st...83361497702400 Thanks very much for the Support Epic!

I've also added the download link to the video description on YouTube now.
            Last edited by John Alcatraz; 03-05-2016, 10:01 PM.
            Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
            Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

Originally posted by OneShotGG View Post
              Has the bp to c++ converter by epic been released?
              Originally posted by lordscottish View Post
              That's fantastic work! Is the Blueprint -> C++ conversion tool already available?
              Yes, it is in the 4.11 Preview! You can get it from the Launcher or directly from Github.

Originally posted by jonimake View Post
              Are the 1x1x1 cubes individual meshes or is the visible surface mesh procedurally generated from the voxel information?
              Originally posted by iUltimateLP View Post
              Are your blocks Instanced Static Meshes? The last time I tried this, it lagged as hell with 16x16x16 blocks

Every cube is an instance. You probably did not check for which blocks are visible, most of the time only less than 1% of the existing blocks are actually visible for the player. I do fancy math and only add these blocks to the world, so it's running very smooth
              Last edited by John Alcatraz; 03-10-2016, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Really nice stuff! I wonder how it runs with bigger worlds and added npcs? Of course you probably don't plan to go much further than what you've done but I'm interested in how it would perform versus a Java base.

Comment

What fun, thank you so much for sharing that and well done on putting it together, perhaps one day it could be a learning resource for UE4, it would be an awesome one.

Comment

Originally posted by Leviathan's_Deep View Post
                    Really nice stuff! I wonder how it runs with bigger worlds and added npcs? Of course you probably don't plan to go much further than what you've done but I'm interested in how it would perform versus a Java base.
                    The size of the world won't affect performance, only view distance does. So no matter how big the world is, it will always run great. I also see no reason why NPCs should have a significant impact on the performance, apart from that the character movement component is quite expensive once you have hundreds of (visible) characters running around. But that's the same for every kind of game. But you're not forced to use the character movement component, so if you actually do it the same way you would do a NPC in Java (do it yourself and not use any components from UE4) then there's no reason why it should run slower in UE4

Comment

So, I bet there's gonna be a lot of modders and content addons here for this project
                      Last edited by DavAguirre; 03-06-2016, 04:01 AM.

Comment

I already make a game with this kind of terrain with Modding and Multiplayer, but maybe I switch the Voxel engine, depending on the performance of this one.
                        Stuff I made:

Comment

Very nicely done. You have accomplished a lot here.

Comment

Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
                            The size of the world won't affect performance, only view distance does. So no matter how big the world is, it will always run great. I also see no reason why NPCs should have a significant impact on the performance, apart from that the character movement component is quite expensive once you have hundreds of (visible) characters running around. But that's the same for every kind of game. But you're not forced to use the character movement component, so if you actually do it the same way you would do a NPC in Java (do it yourself and not use any components from UE4) then there's no reason why it should run slower in UE4
                            Well my initial thoughts were it would definately run better on Unreal Engine 4. My mind was just wondering off into what performance gains you would see plus the possibilities of expansion with the idea. No Man's Sky + Space Engineers + Minecraft anyone? Somebody get on that game now!

Comment

Originally posted by Leviathan's_Deep View Post
                              Well my initial thoughts were it would definately run better on Unreal Engine 4. My mind was just wondering off into what performance gains you would see plus the possibilities of expansion with the idea. No Man's Sky + Space Engineers + Minecraft anyone? Somebody get on that game now!
                              Heh, I'm currently doing a cross-over between Minecraft + Starbound (you know, this planet system thingy) + Factorio
                              Stuff I made:

Comment

It's all BP! No C++
                                Weird, so blocks are static meshes components? As you can't create custom components in Blueprints which voxels should be if you want to have nice performance.
                                How to create first person shooter game from scratch. Lots of tutorials: http://www.shootertutorial.com - celebrating 50th Tutorial!

My Marketplace Assets

Comment

Working...
                                X