I've created an Infinite Voxel World, similar to Minecraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Today on my stream I will create very similar prototype. My generation part will be made in C++ because many people ask me about C++ so performance will be better. I hope to get the same visual effect because it's briliant John added a lot of small details like making cracks during destroing voxel, spawning little meshes, moving materials etc and ofc all post process effects are great! Well done John.

So I start in 3 hours. Here is my stream:
    https://www.twitch.tv/tefel

Click image for larger version

Name:	st50.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	1106443

Leave a comment:

• replied
    this is probably a dumb question, but i have downloaded from the link you posted and can not figure out how to run it. It looks great from the screenshots but i would love to experience it first hand. im new to this......

Leave a comment:

• replied
    At first look I honestly thought you just put shaders in Minecraft and was making this up. Nice work!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is really nice, i am trying to learn procedural level generation in blueprints myself and am running into those same problems you described with the missing noise functions/access to texture values in blueprint. I assume you implemented your simplex noise function to save the values to an array a supposed to a texture? i don't see another way at the moment and would love to hear your insight.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    wow thats amazing i wonder how u got that working :O guessing this is a closed source project?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Unbelievable~ Are you gonna make tutorials on this?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Awesome sauce!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Removing message; sent you a message on YouTube instead as I derped and thought the forums ate my response when in reality it was 4 pages later.

Good luck with VR! Glad you got your Vive c:
    Last edited by Travistyse; 04-26-2016, 02:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Nice! Watching this thread.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
    What I was alluding to was my second statement which you didn't quote in the response.:

Since you have the BP Voxel, apply for the Vive grant, win it, get it sooner than if you pre-ordered

Simple
    I didn't quote it because I already had applied for a Vive

And yes, I got a HTC Vive from Epic! Way faster than I expected, Epic is awesome! Thanks so much

Still a bit of work to do before the new version is ready to be shown, especially performance with VR is quite a lot of work, mostly just because I want it to look super awesome while still having smooth 90 fps. Not easy to achieve both, but it will work

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Will the C++ version still be easy to work with in terms of blueprints?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post

It's not that much about the money, it's mostly about getting one soon, and if you preorder one now you have to wait many months. But I can't release the game before I got a Vive And it's also quite hard to work on a VR game without being able to play it in VR.

I have a couple of Vive's if you are looking for somebody to help out with some testing on it I am happy to help out.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Can you post a project with editor (without packaged) please i want to lean how to make a game like this
    my email :
    loh0123@hotmail.com

Leave a comment:

• replied

It's not that much about the money, it's mostly about getting one soon, and if you preorder one now you have to wait many months. But I can't release the game before I got a Vive And it's also quite hard to work on a VR game without being able to play it in VR.
    Yeah I get that hard to work on VR without having a VR device. I must had misread somewhere in the thread, but I thought you already had a device and had already started, but was wanting a Vive.

What I was alluding to was my second statement which you didn't quote in the response.:

Originally posted by richardboegli View Post

[MENTION=8]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]; on Twitter Retweeted [MENTION=14973]Chance Ivey[/MENTION]; tweet: https://twitter.com/UnrealAlexander/...61055158013952
    Also, we've partnered with Valve to offer 500 Vives via Unreal Dev Grants. Developing for VR? Apply here! https://www.unrealengine.com/unrealdevgrants

So how about applying for the grant and say you want to make a voxel based open source VR solution in Blueprint which will be released in the Epic marketplace for download like Generic Shooter, but it will also become its own game (like Generic Shooter on Steam) or just a learning resource game etc... I bet you'd win

Its still open source even if you have to pay for access to the source. Just like UE4 till GDC15.

If you do win, then I want something for the idea :P hehe
    Since you have the BP Voxel, apply for the Vive grant, win it, get it sooner than if you pre-ordered

Simple
    Last edited by richardboegli; 04-03-2016, 07:02 AM. Reason: wordcraft

Leave a comment:

• replied
    it's all C++ now
    In the current version I no longer use ISMCs and handle the polygons/vertices manually.
    I saw you switch bp to c++ now, can you release a bp version too? Not need to be as good perform as the c++ one, but it will help a lot on bp learning

Leave a comment:

Working...
X