I've created an Infinite Voxel World, similar to Minecraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Would there be a way to polygonize the voxel grid? And maybe add addiitonal displacement using a procedural texture and dynamic layer painting based on material (grass,dirt,rock,sand,gravevl,abc,etc,...) after that to create a realistic precedural terrain?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah... Looks great. Is it open-source?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey anyone know the scale of the cubes used in this project?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    you have turned this into c++ ??

can you share the bp version of it or break it down (Tutorial ??) or make an documontation on how you managed the chunks/worldgeneration and dealing with the noise etc ....

plz will be happy to see how you've donne this

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You have done a good job. I would say that there are enough 'clones' of minecraft for it to be considered a genre. I am also making such a thing. I don't want to post links here since I'm new, but you can check my game out by searching "simcube game" on google. Its focus is primarily realistic and complex simulation. There is an in game computer that can be programed to display png graphics on an in-game external screen (a cube separate from the computer itself. I am now currently working on these things called surveyors that will allow structures to be encoded onto an in-game virtual disc, which can also be used to build the same structure within the surveyor GUI. I am going to add villages next, that will have traders and builders. The builders will be able to be given a disc with a structure encoded onto it, and will automatically build it upon the village population reaching a certain amount. It is really fun to play, and I am enjoying the process of making it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Koderz this is very interesting! If there is a way I want to improve my prototype even more.
    Please check my procedurall World creation here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...world-download

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Se7eNHea7eN View Post
    Great job John! Could you do me a favour to answer a few questions:
    1、By handle the polygons manually, how do you render the same texture faces in one drawcall?
    2、Does a chunkobject handles it's own blocks, and a chunk manager spawns chunks?
    3、Is a block an actor or a meshcomponent attached to a chunk?
    4、How do you controls the polygons's visibilities?
    Obviously I'm not John, but I can probably answer most of that since I've talked to him a ton over the past months and also implemented my own block engine in UE4. (John feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of this :P )

1. He means instead of ISMCs he's creating an optimized single mesh per chunk (or maybe 2 to support foliage) and rendering whole chunks as single meshes. That can be accomplished using the ProceduralMeshComponent in the engine or my upgraded version that's linked in my footer, the RuntimeMeshComponent. To handle texturing, one way is to use an atlas like Minecraft does/did, the other way is to use texture arrays which are not currently in the engine but I have an open PR for.
    2. In his case, and he can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I believe he's got a component per chunk (inherited from the RuntimeMeshComponent or RMC) and an actor that owns them all and manages them.
    3. A block is definitely not an actor or component as that would be prohibitively expensive and very slow to update those all individually and would have hundreds of thousands to millions of draw calls which would be impossible.
    4. If I understand your question correctly, the thing to do is only add vertices for a face of a block when that block has air next to it on that face. You can go further using something like greedy meshing, or optimal meshing, but those get a bit more complicated to do.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
    In the video, I always used whole cubes. In the current version I no longer use ISMCs and handle the polygons/vertices manually.
    Great job John! Could you do me a favour to answer a few questions:
    1、By handle the polygons manually, how do you render the same texture faces in one drawcall?
    2、Does a chunkobject handles it's own blocks, and a chunk manager spawns chunks?
    3、Is a block an actor or a meshcomponent attached to a chunk?
    4、How do you controls the polygons's visibilities?
    Last edited by Se7eNHea7eN; 06-23-2016, 02:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I was wondering if you will be releasing the blueprints for us to use or selling it on the marketplace or anything for us to be able to use and learn from this?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Can i get the download for this and i want to make changes to this and make my own game with this? pls answer

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by zz View Post
    Dang I missed this. Is there any recording of this?
    All twitch broadcasts are saved for a certain length of time. Here is the first part of his stream.

https://www.twitch.tv/tefel/v/66990627

I'm following it and it's really good, thanks Tefel!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've been looking all over the internet for information on how I could possibly start working on the game I've had in mind for a while now.
    This answered my question of which game engine to use perfectly! I can't thank you enough!

I'm not sure what to say past that, sorry.
    Maybe it's because it's quarter past midnight, maybe i'm born with it.

Anyway, have a nice morning/day/evening/night!
    And thanks for giving me hope.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is looking really good!
    Keep it up

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Tefel View Post
    Today on my stream I will create very similar prototype. My generation part will be made in C++ because many people ask me about C++ so performance will be better. I hope to get the same visual effect because it's briliant John added a lot of small details like making cracks during destroing voxel, spawning little meshes, moving materials etc and ofc all post process effects are great! Well done John.

So I start in 3 hours. Here is my stream:
    https://www.twitch.tv/tefel

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93336[/ATTACH]
    Dang I missed this. Is there any recording of this?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Tefel View Post
    Today on my stream I will create very similar prototype. My generation part will be made in C++ because many people ask me about C++ so performance will be better. I hope to get the same visual effect because it's briliant John added a lot of small details like making cracks during destroing voxel, spawning little meshes, moving materials etc and ofc all post process effects are great! Well done John.

So I start in 3 hours. Here is my stream:
    https://www.twitch.tv/tefel

Cool, I'll watch that!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X