Abandoned Tunnel Scene [WIP]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abandoned Tunnel Scene [WIP]

I started working with displacement maps and tessellation and ended up creating a small scene of an old abandoned tunnel, it's still a WIP but it's off to a good start.

I still plan to add a lot of detail like an electrical box for the sparks to come out of, trash, etc.

All of the textures are 2048x with 1024x maps, the walls and ground use a 3 material blend using vertex paint with a 1000px lod and alpha to control overall height so you can edit it like terrain.

The water uses depth bias alpha, fog and distortion - The only assets did not create are the particle effects.

**Watch in HD**

Last edited by CharlestonS; 06-26-2014, 06:37 AM.

Twitter - @TheCSilverman

Ancient Cistern | Advanced Material Pack Ed. 1 | Advanced Material Pack Ed. 2 | Advanced Material Pack Ed. 3 | Texture Pack Ed. 1 | Container Pack Ed. 1 | Road Sign Pack Ed. 1

Thats very neat! The scene reminded me Dark Souls 2 immediately.Waiting for updates!

Comment

Looks great, Just wondering how well does it run with fps?
      Add my Skype
      Developers and Newbies Chat Group
      I build games for a living, But most of all I build them for my passion

Comment

It runs great, UE4 supports tessellation very well, it runs better than any of the sample content assets that were released and compared to those i'm not pushing that many polys and my materials aren't that complex.

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
        Looks great, Just wondering how well does it run with fps?

Twitter - @TheCSilverman

Ancient Cistern | Advanced Material Pack Ed. 1 | Advanced Material Pack Ed. 2 | Advanced Material Pack Ed. 3 | Texture Pack Ed. 1 | Container Pack Ed. 1 | Road Sign Pack Ed. 1

Comment

Your use of materials is nothing short of breathtaking, thank you very much for posting

Comment

What is your frame rate may I ask and the setup of your materials? Thanks
            Add my Skype
            Developers and Newbies Chat Group
            I build games for a living, But most of all I build them for my passion

Comment

Originally posted by CharlestonS
              My frame rates are between 45 and 55 in this scene, for comparison i get around 15-22 fps in the effects cave, but i also haven't updated my drivers in almost a year which may improve performance...

Right now all of the maps are 2048x but i am going to go through and resize the ao, gloss and displacement maps down to 1024x since it shouldn't make too much of a difference when rendered.

I have everything maxed out and my system specs are below

Windows 7 Pro 64bit
              Core i7 980 Quad Core 3.33ghz
              24GB Ram
              Dual MSI Nvidia 560 ti 2gb (4gb total) in SLI mode

As for my materials i'm using instances which are all based on a single master material, below is a screen grab of the entire branch, i will post a more in depth set of screen grabs once the scene is done and possibly a tutorial from start to finish

Basically what's going on in this material is that it has 3 different node sets which contain an entire material setup each (diffuse, normal, ao, displacement, gloss, fresnel, bump offset, etc.) and are being masked by the vertex color (R, G, B) and then the world position offset is being masked by the vertex alpha which allows you to paint the heightmap like terrain without effecting the displacement of the material sets - The un-linked 'Tiling' nodes you see are for when you want to keep the texture maps the same size regardless of the size of the tessellated mesh but i didn't need to use them for the scene so i un-linked them.

Thanks and keep going on the tutorial some ue4 starters will love it

Comment

Congratulations!!! Really amazing!
                Maico G.
                http://ttkstudios.x10.mx
                @maicogirardi
                youtube.com/maicogir
                maicogirardi.wix.com/portfolio
                https://game-development.zeef.com/maico.girardi

Comment

Originally posted by CharlestonS
                  Dual MSI Nvidia 560 ti 2gb (4gb total) in SLI mode
                  I know it's pretty off topic but I just wanted to mention that when you SLI/Crossfire graphics cards the graphics memory doesn't add up. So you have 2gb, not 4gb
                  Artist and Amateur-Blueprintist at SpiritShock

Comment

I actually knew that VRam isn't multiplied in SLI, not sure why i typed that though... haha

Originally posted by leonn3k View Post
                    I know it's pretty off topic but I just wanted to mention that when you SLI/Crossfire graphics cards the graphics memory doesn't add up. So you have 2gb, not 4gb

Twitter - @TheCSilverman

Comment

Flipping awesome! I did a similar scene about 15 years ago in some 3D software that shall remain nameless and it took about 10 minutes to render each frame. Didn't look nearly as good either - amazing how far things have come!
                      Trevor Lee

Comment

Awesome and clever, well done!

Comment

I know, it's crazy how far real-time graphics have come, the UE4 engine is absolutely awesome and makes creating content so **** easy. I just hope they finish the real-time lighting system soon because it would make life much easier...

Originally posted by Hyperloop View Post
                          Flipping awesome! I did a similar scene about 15 years ago in some 3D software that shall remain nameless and it took about 10 minutes to render each frame. Didn't look nearly as good either - amazing how far things have come!

Twitter - @TheCSilverman

Comment

I want to live in there!

Comment

Nice work there!

Comment

Working...
                              X