Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wasabi Horizon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [GAME] Wasabi Horizon

    Wasabi Horizon





    Wasabi Horizon is a 2D, action adventure game that allows the player to explore distinct environments, battle hordes of enemies, and traverse through otherworldly dungeons, in order to save the land from the armies that plague it.

    Wasabi Horizon is currently being developed using Paper2D

    Features:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Wasabi WIP Unreal 3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1171773

    Tumich Wasabi, an octopus learned in the ways of the warrior who becomes unwittingly involved in a battle between two forces the likes of which may not ever be fully comprehend. When Wasabi’s once familiar island home becomes the warped staging ground for the forces of the Four Seasons, Wasabi will embark on a quest rich with discovery and filled with the true spirit of adventure. On this quest Wasabi will come face to face with overwhelming enemies both brutal and cunning, marshalled by forces hellbent on the spread of chaos, all the while, an ominous figure weaves a mysterious path through the land. Throughout this adventure, Wasabi will discover who is truly behind this invasion and bring balance back to the island.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Wasabi WIP Unreal 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1171770

    There are four main environments for Wasabi to explore and each will depict a different element and season. They will also feature a rich and expansive history interwoven throughout it, told through exploration, breathtaking landmarks, and humorous island folk.

    The game is focused on combat, offering many types of enemies to battle as well as different weapons to chose from. Wasabi must traverse through each of the warlords’ fortresses in order to free the lands. Each warlord bested in combat will provide Wasabi with their weapon along with different abilities. Throughout this adventure, enemies will drop erratic crystal power ups which may temporarily bestow powers or curses onto Wasabi in a “Roulette system”.



    Gameplay
    Explore stylish environments of a land on the edge of eradication

    Things To Come:
    Fight through time warped fortresses
    Fast paced combat against the hordes of the Four Seasons
    Wield the forces of artifact weapons
    Harness unstable power crystal to unleash unimaginable powers
    Rich and humorous storytelling

    Style
    Surreal characters depictions and outlandish environments.
    Traditional Hand Drawn Animations

    Current Build:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Wasabi WIP Unreal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1171771

    Wasabi’s Movement and attacking have been implemented as well as a primitive dodge.

    An enemy has been created to be the base for future enemy types.

    3 Powerups<Power Crystals> have been created to feature the roulette system and the base for the roulette system has been finalized and tested

    An Environment has been drawn and implemented by the designer and artist that will be a base for future experimentation and land building with more textures and sprites.

    We’ll keep you posted on future updates here with more implementations and concept art!

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Wasabi WIP Unreal 5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1171772

    Concept Art Update 02-10-2016

    Click image for larger version

Name:	wasabi banner_WIP2.png
Views:	1
Size:	358.8 KB
ID:	1171901



    Credits
    Created and Developed by Good War Games.
    Twitter: @goodwargames
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/goodwargames
    Instagram: goodwargames
    Last edited by Pedwar2; 07-15-2016, 08:28 PM. Reason: Added new Wasabi Demo Video
    Good War Games.
    Twitter: @goodwargames
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/goodwargames
    Unreal Engine WIP: Hyper:BAE
    Unreal Engine WIP: Wasabi Horizon

  • #2
    Wow! I LOVE the character art and visuals of everything!

    Is this paper 2D?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Macroh View Post
      Wow! I LOVE the character art and visuals of everything!

      Is this paper 2D?
      Thanks for the kind words!

      Yes, this is being put together with paper 2D. We have been hitting some obstacles with z rendering. The only solution we've come up with to getting the desired effect of the character moving behind items, but over that same item when in front of them was the biggest hurdle. We are looking for a better way to do it.
      Good War Games.
      Twitter: @goodwargames
      Facebook: www.facebook.com/goodwargames
      Unreal Engine WIP: Hyper:BAE
      Unreal Engine WIP: Wasabi Horizon

      Comment


      • #4
        DUDE THIS IS AWESOME!!!! I love the color scheme you went with for the game and the music!

        Comment


        • #5
          Concept Art Update 02-10-2016

          Originally posted by JWright68 View Post
          DUDE THIS IS AWESOME!!!! I love the color scheme you went with for the game and the music!
          Thanks for the feedback. Here is a new concept poster our artist just finished up. Enjoy!


          Click image for larger version

Name:	wasabi banner_WIP.png
Views:	1
Size:	774.3 KB
ID:	1100286
          Good War Games.
          Twitter: @goodwargames
          Facebook: www.facebook.com/goodwargames
          Unreal Engine WIP: Hyper:BAE
          Unreal Engine WIP: Wasabi Horizon

          Comment


          • #6
            This game looks great, surprised no one else is commenting on it! I love the art style

            I would be vary curious as to how you got the z depth working - you said it was troublesome but still, how? I've been wanting to merge my gamemaker project into UE4 for a long time now, which acts as a Diablo top down game similar to the view used in this. Gamemaker makes it super easy and almost automatic, but so far I've seen no real easy way to do it UE4 either.
            lucasgovatos.net | Twitter | Epitasis - A Colorful Exploration Puzzle Game

            Comment


            • #7
              Z render solution on objects (WIP)

              Originally posted by Higuy8000 View Post
              This game looks great, surprised no one else is commenting on it! I love the art style

              I would be vary curious as to how you got the z depth working - you said it was troublesome but still, how? I've been wanting to merge my gamemaker project into UE4 for a long time now, which acts as a Diablo top down game similar to the view used in this. Gamemaker makes it super easy and almost automatic, but so far I've seen no real easy way to do it UE4 either.
              Thank you for the support! The projects on your site look terrific as well.

              With the paper 2D system, for the z depth, we had to find a temporary workaround until we find a better system for this particular style of game, . Our solution for now is that for every object we have in the world that Wasabi interacts with (rocks, walls, trees, etc) is made up of two copies of that same object that have different render geometries showing: top part and bottom part. We then layer both copies of that object on top of each other and give each piece a different render translucency sort priority. The top part will have a higher priority than Wasabi (creates illusion that character is behind) and a lower priority for the bottom part (creates illusion of the character is in front). Then we place a collision box where needed (usually on the copy of the item that is on the bottom) in order to finish creating the illusion. In the video, there are a few examples of this effect. The first is at 0:15 where Wasabi walks behind a tree. The the next ones are at 0:28-0:30 where the character walks behind a rock and the gate.

              I know that the explanation can get confusing so if you have any further questions, feel free to ask away.
              Last edited by Pedwar2; 02-11-2016, 11:00 AM.
              Good War Games.
              Twitter: @goodwargames
              Facebook: www.facebook.com/goodwargames
              Unreal Engine WIP: Hyper:BAE
              Unreal Engine WIP: Wasabi Horizon

              Comment


              • #8
                Awesome art direction, and awesome gameplay! Have played this game, Good War Games sure know how to make them as good looking as fun! Would totally love to see it go 2.5D if not full 3D tbh

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DonMorti View Post
                  Awesome art direction, and awesome gameplay! Have played this game, Good War Games sure know how to make them as good looking as fun! Would totally love to see it go 2.5D if not full 3D tbh
                  Nah, keep it 2D. we need more love for Paper2D ! :P

                  I like the art style aswell. Good luck on getting this done!
                  Fighting Game Template: PROJECT: Unreal Fighter 2D

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Achilleon View Post
                    Nah, keep it 2D. we need more love for Paper2D ! :P

                    I like the art style aswell. Good luck on getting this done!
                    Haha I agree, and I will try my best to make sure that we stay paper2d

                    I've been following your work with the Unreal Fighter2d stuff for a bit now and your approval means a lot, so thank you
                    WIP Wasabi Horizon: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...wasabi+horizon

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DonMorti View Post
                      Awesome art direction, and awesome gameplay! Have played this game, Good War Games sure know how to make them as good looking as fun! Would totally love to see it go 2.5D if not full 3D tbh
                      Originally posted by Achilleon View Post
                      Nah, keep it 2D. we need more love for Paper2D ! :P

                      I like the art style aswell. Good luck on getting this done!
                      Thank you both for the support! It truly means the world to us.
                      Good War Games.
                      Twitter: @goodwargames
                      Facebook: www.facebook.com/goodwargames
                      Unreal Engine WIP: Hyper:BAE
                      Unreal Engine WIP: Wasabi Horizon

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Pedwar2 View Post
                        Thank you for the support! The projects on your site look terrific as well.

                        With the paper 2D system, for the z depth, we had to find a temporary workaround until we find a better system for this particular style of game, . Our solution for now is that for every object we have in the world that Wasabi interacts with (rocks, walls, trees, etc) is made up of two copies of that same object that have different render geometries showing: top part and bottom part. We then layer both copies of that object on top of each other and give each piece a different render translucency sort priority. The top part will have a higher priority than Wasabi (creates illusion that character is behind) and a lower priority for the bottom part (creates illusion of the character is in front). Then we place a collision box where needed (usually on the copy of the item that is on the bottom) in order to finish creating the illusion. In the video, there are a few examples of this effect. The first is at 0:15 where Wasabi walks behind a tree. The the next ones are at 0:28-0:30 where the character walks behind a rock and the gate.

                        I know that the explanation can get confusing so if you have any further questions, feel free to ask away.
                        Thanks for the detailed explanation, I appreciate it very much. I'll have to start toying around with it and see if I can get it working myself. If there is one thing that should be made a clear example and/or integrated into Paper 2d, its a feature like this. So many games use this view/style, no idea why it wasn't supported or a content example made available . If I have anymore questions, I'll be sure to ask you! Good luck on your project!
                        lucasgovatos.net | Twitter | Epitasis - A Colorful Exploration Puzzle Game

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Update 02-19-2016

                          Update: Sprint has been implemented. GIFs for reference.

                          Sprint:



                          Sprint Stopping



                          Turning



                          Attack Stop



                          Camera Change





                          New Wasabi Animations WIP
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	DeathAnimation.gif
Views:	1
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	1100820
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontRun1.gif
Views:	1
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	1100821
                          Attached Files
                          Good War Games.
                          Twitter: @goodwargames
                          Facebook: www.facebook.com/goodwargames
                          Unreal Engine WIP: Hyper:BAE
                          Unreal Engine WIP: Wasabi Horizon

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Yaaaay Update! Gogogo! Looking nice. ^_^
                            Fighting Game Template: PROJECT: Unreal Fighter 2D

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Achilleon View Post
                              Yaaaay Update! Gogogo! Looking nice. ^_^
                              Thank you, trying to put in that paper2d work naw mean
                              WIP Wasabi Horizon: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...wasabi+horizon

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X