The Sims like building system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zedrophobe View Post
    Hi I've been experimenting with instance static meshes and this makes it far more efficient. I'll see what I can do for the tutorial.
    would like an update on this project if possible. looks promising.

Comment

Something like this for level designers, great tool !

Comment

Looks like a useful tool! You should definitely use static mesh components instead of actors, though it doesn't necessarily need to be instance static meshes (really depends on how many of the same mesh you need to render at once). Keep up the great work

Comment

Hello All,

I've gone back to the project, but I've started if from scratch. I learned a lot from my survival building project.

The actors used in the original video were used because I was hoping to allow more manipulation on each actor, (think adding a light, door, window frame). However when considering how large this "building" could become the performance would suffer, think 200 wall segments.

Currently I'm looking at instance static meshes for all building assets, these will be stored in a actor (think building library). Currently have plans written for colouring walls and how that is replicated in the instances (I had written code (blueprint) which creates a new instance static mesh component based on a colour change). Ideally I'd like to work on a whole section of code which would create a dynamic mesh of each wall, would allow huge flexibility for creativity, however that's for the future.

The build-able area is now contained within a actor (possibly the one mentioned above), this will change the height of the building "zone" to accommodate different floors, again these floors will follow the supporting structures beneath. Having it designed this way allows me to place an actor anywhere on a 3d terrain, set the length and width of the "zone" and this restricts building outside this area.

Will hopefully get my head down and get messing around with Unreal again, wish me luck.

Comment

[MENTION=21646]Zedrophobe[/MENTION] this is brilliant work. I am probably much more of a beginner than you are at this point and am looking to create a similar builder project. Can you provide tutorials or any helpful links to help me start off? Thanks

Comment

Just installed 4.15 and going to be upgrading to the new version, so I'll see what I can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Zedrophobe View Post
                If people want screenshots of the blueprints I'll happily put them up, I'm planning on just releasing it all for free if I can get done what I'm planning.
                HI))))
                You planned to share building systems. I really need it ))))
                I just started to build a system for my work. I want to move group of objects remotely, online with ue4.
                We can work on a common project)

Comment

I'm currently working on the system from scratch, using the knowledge I've learnt from my other projects. I will share it I would imagine, you mentioned you want to move object remotely, would that require some form of multi-user support?

Comment

Update Is A Gooooooooo

So I've finally managed to get some free time to get to work on the rebuild of my sims builder.

Currently the "B" key toggles the grid and building mode on and off, I had issues with the tile orientation but have now got my head around it. It's not pretty but for now it works, just need some TLC to neaten it up, no collision on the foundation spawning yet, so you can overlap them, logic is the next step, then time to add walls (better than last time).

Hopefully will have more updates soon.

Comment

The rebuild looks awesome

Comment

Working...
                      X