Dynamic physical ocean

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamic physical ocean

I wanted my objects to float. This water is updating object using a heightmap lookup.

Added tutorial in the wiki
    https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Render_Target_Lookup

Updates: You can still follow the wiki but I've updated my project to used a mathematical approach.

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.png
Views:	1
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	1137363

Buoyancy tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkxJeyG2whw
    Gerstner Waves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBWLfpm0K0o
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Handkor; 08-13-2014, 01:25 AM.

Looks pretty good, I'd be interested to see the code/blueprints (whatever you used) on how you did this, I've been looking for something slightly similar but without the ocean e.g: imagine a floating object say a flying car that when flying over uneven terrain will wobble / move with the terrains height map due to the way the air pressure underneath it is working.

Comment

I will be putting up a tutorial soon.

Comment

This is really cool. I liked watching the boxes float up from resting on the floor when the wave come.

Looking forward to seeing your tutorial for this!

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Really cool!
            | Finite State Machine | Object-Pool Plugin | Auto-Save Plugin | Anti-Cheat Plugin |

Comment

Really nice. Well done!
              Work in Progress: King of Kalimpong
              piinecone.com | youtube | @p11necone

Comment

Tutorial link added to the OP.

Comment

Looks cool, I like your ocean and physics!

I'm using the same approach for ships physics, but with reading from Texture2D, not RenderTarget2D.

Btw, how do you simulate buoyancy? Are you using crossed tension dots, or splitting mesh into volumes?
                  Last edited by ufna; 05-30-2014, 12:09 AM.
                  Developer. Bass player. Cats owner. Unreal Engine addicted. Check my.alyamkin.com
                  [Plugin] VaRest - REST API with blueprintable JSON plugin
                  [Plugin] VaTexAltas - simple way to use texture atlases for UMG

Comment

Nothing sophisticated, I use a very inaccurate approximation by placing points around the hull of the ship. I then apply buoyancy at each point by dividing the mass/displacement evenly across all points. Right now it give decent non-realistic results. I plan on improving the calculation in the future.

I have not heard of crossed tension dots, what is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Handkor View Post
                      Nothing sophisticated, I use a very inaccurate approximation by placing points around the hull of the ship. I then apply buoyancy at each point by dividing the mass/displacement evenly across all points. Right now it give decent non-realistic results. I plan on improving the calculation in the future.

I have not heard of crossed tension dots, what is it?
                      I mean the same approach - dots around the object. It's common way, but not the best results, because it doesn't count real archimedes force influence. I've used volumetric approach on Unity, and I think I should find time to move the trick to UE4
                      Developer. Bass player. Cats owner. Unreal Engine addicted. Check my.alyamkin.com
                      [Plugin] VaRest - REST API with blueprintable JSON plugin
                      [Plugin] VaTexAltas - simple way to use texture atlases for UMG

Comment

THIS IS SO COOL!!!!!!!!!! This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for! you did some really great work on this, I would really love to use this in my game since I am planning to make a island with a ocean that looks realistic, I tried to do in Cryengine 3 SDK but the engine was a bit too complicated for me. I will do my best to follow the wiki.

Comment

This is awesome!

Comment

Looks great!!!!

Comment

Amazing work Handkor!! Can't wait to give the tutorial a shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X