No announcement yet.

PROJECT: Unreal Fighter 2D

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem that I have with UFE is that everything is pretty much basic stuff. so if you want to add advance features you do need the source version as well knowing C#, so its going to require alot of coding if you want to add extra stuff even a simple color or mesh swap when selection a character.

by basic I mean is that you can add a simple fireball projectile easy but if you want to do something like rugals shield reflector or hulks gamma wave or tornado you have to dive a bit into the code or set up your particles in a certain way for it to work correctly that it made it a ***** and annoying process.

Comment

Looks fantastic!

I'm curious to know how you are handling collisions: particularly in terms of:
      • Authoring: How are you defining collision volumes for characters?
      • Resolving Collision: In game, how do you determine who hit what, and when?

Comment

Originally posted by DjGrave View Post
        The problem that I have with UFE is that everything is pretty much basic stuff. so if you want to add advance features you do need the source version as well knowing C#, so its going to require alot of coding if you want to add extra stuff even a simple color or mesh swap when selection a character.

by basic I mean is that you can add a simple fireball projectile easy but if you want to do something like rugals shield reflector or hulks gamma wave or tornado you have to dive a bit into the code or set up your particles in a certain way for it to work correctly that it made it a ***** and annoying process.
        That's the main problem with Unity. You still need to know C# if you want to do something unique. Which is a big Nope for me.

I would rather people who does not how know to code, do stuff too, just like I do. ^_^

Originally posted by AlanNoon View Post
        Looks fantastic!

I'm curious to know how you are handling collisions: particularly in terms of:
        • Authoring: How are you defining collision volumes for characters?
        • Resolving Collision: In game, how do you determine who hit what, and when?
        Thank you Mr Alan! Here are the answers!

Collision:Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1099207

You see, it's the simple collision setup of paper2D.

Hitting: Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	1099208

I use Boxtracing to hit stuff.

That's all really. I got a Box Trace event where every attack changes it's values. I am keeping things simple as much as possible. ^_^
        Fighting Game Template: PROJECT: Unreal Fighter 2D

Comment

This is incredible man. I look forward to seeing that anim notify system .
          WIP Wasabi Horizon: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...wasabi+horizon

Comment

Originally posted by Demoneyejin View Post
            This is incredible man. I look forward to seeing that anim notify system .
            I am working with an engineer to make a system that got a connection to C++.

If it all works well, it will be an amazing step for any paper2d project! We will see ^^

Comment

this is so cool!!.. really good job there..
              i want to learn more about the materials... how it was setup with paper2d..

Comment

Originally posted by Achilleon View Post
                That's the main problem with Unity. You still need to know C# if you want to do something unique. Which is a big Nope for me.

I would rather people who does not how know to code, do stuff too, just like I do. ^_^

Thank you Mr Alan! Here are the answers!

Collision:[ATTACH=CONFIG]75483[/ATTACH]

You see, it's the simple collision setup of paper2D.

Hitting: [ATTACH=CONFIG]75484[/ATTACH]

I use Boxtracing to hit stuff.

That's all really. I got a Box Trace event where every attack changes it's values. I am keeping things simple as much as possible. ^_^
                Are you changing the shapes of the box trace and the sprite collision per frame?
                If so, where do you store and edit that data? Data Table?

Comment

this is so cool!!.. really good job there..
                  i want to learn more about the materials... how it was setup with paper2d..
                  Thanks, I will show once I tidy things up

Originally posted by AlanNoon View Post
                  Are you changing the shapes of the box trace and the sprite collision per frame?
                  If so, where do you store and edit that data? Data Table?
                  I understand what you ask now. Let me show abit of it;

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	1099738

At left, you will see one struct with information regarding to hit, and below it the macro that calculates the location and shape of the box trace. Inside that macro there is a calculation of player position aswell, so box trace always triggers where it supposed to be. =)

Bottom right you will see the struct that contains the information regarding which attack can be done, if the current attack connects. It is Light Punch so we got alot of options if we success. :P

Lastly at Top right, is the macro that triggers the Attack Event which triggers the box trace. Every 0.0166667 seconds the attack is triggered. First Frame and Last Frame variables are used to how many times to trigger the box trace event and at which frames. =)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	1099739,

Here at Top Left is the Commence Assault. Event that is triggered every frame and you will see the information flooding to the box trace etc. I don't want to show the rest because beginners will cover in fear if they see the mess! xP

That's all. ^_^

Comment

Doesn't really look like a mess but thats just me lol. Pretty sure anyone with a bit of blueprint experience and fighting game editors like Mugen/Fighter maker ect... can understand most of whats going on in those 2 pics

Comment

I know it's wishful thinking, but the ability to read Mugen characters and stages like Ikemen does would be absolutely amazing. But it's amazing already! Good work.
                      DO contact me with questions about Blueprint or other Unreal features! I don't bite! Or charge money! Just press that blue Skype button and fire away.

Project Culverin - Open Ended First Person Shooter

Comment

Originally posted by DjGrave View Post
                        Doesn't really look like a mess but thats just me lol. Pretty sure anyone with a bit of blueprint experience and fighting game editors like Mugen/Fighter maker ect... can understand most of whats going on in those 2 pics
                        Cheers! Well, it could all surely be better. Maybe all of them being one single big node to cover up all you need. We will eventually get to that part. =)

Originally posted by Ray Jones 312 View Post
                        I know it's wishful thinking, but the ability to read Mugen characters and stages like Ikemen does would be absolutely amazing. But it's amazing already! Good work.
                        That would be abit over the top for me to do unfortunately. Though what I aim for is having the exact structure that mugen does. Also implementing a non-painful character transfer so its easy to get someone's fighter to your own game.

Second option is already working though what I fear is, people will eventually edit my template and change stuff fitting to their character, so things won't work for someone else etc. But we will see all about that later

Comment

I had one of my Admins over and FMHQ saying it would be awesome if we could import Fighter Maker 2nd characters to unreal..Samething here wishful thinking lol

I have in fact been messing around in Unreal for a few days only issues I'm having right now is figuring out how to get my punch to cause a hit reaction..Seen you was using traces so I decided to see what I could come up. The only problem is these doesn't really snap to the character only thing I can get to snap is a sphere collision to a socket I have on the left hand.

Glad I have a full 3D model with fighter animations to try and play around with it. I'd be happy to share this model with you Achilleon if you want it so you can advance with 3d more.

But I guess I'm impatient and what something so my future project will have a base to go with.

Anyway keep up the good work you have a friend of yours over on FMHQ that mention you named sandymorrison hehe

Comment

This really awesome!!! Keep up the AMAZING work!!!!

Comment

Jeeeeez this project has come a long way.

Comment

Originally posted by BradSaMa View Post
                                I had one of my Admins over and FMHQ saying it would be awesome if we could import Fighter Maker 2nd characters to unreal..Samething here wishful thinking lol

I have in fact been messing around in Unreal for a few days only issues I'm having right now is figuring out how to get my punch to cause a hit reaction..Seen you was using traces so I decided to see what I could come up. The only problem is these doesn't really snap to the character only thing I can get to snap is a sphere collision to a socket I have on the left hand.

Glad I have a full 3D model with fighter animations to try and play around with it. I'd be happy to share this model with you Achilleon if you want it so you can advance with 3d more.

But I guess I'm impatient and what something so my future project will have a base to go with.

Anyway keep up the good work you have a friend of yours over on FMHQ that mention you named sandymorrison hehe
                                Yay I am famous! :P

As I mentioned though, converting another engine character to Unreal is like praying to God to turn your apple to banana because you would rather have a banana. It would take years for me to code something like that. I mean, I would like to do that for mugen but it's just.. Unreal is too flexable. What I mean is this; you can have your own file structure. For example I have two system modules named "Effect System" and "Sound System". I plan to combine them together at a later date. You can't just convert another file of another engine to Unreal because of this flexibility. Or it would just not worth the time.

My current aim is making things very easy so you won't have to worry about the steps you need to take to come back to Unreal. ^_^

Oh and if you check my youtube channel, you will see my first videos are actually 3D. So it's not impossible to convert this to 3D. I will do it myself anyway. Though I realised that making animations takes alot of my time so I stopped. And I kinda like 2D :P

This really awesome!!! Keep up the AMAZING work!!!!
                                Jeeeeez this project has come a long way.
                                Thanks people. I am not showing much videos lately but I can assure that the progress goes on as fast as it can. It's just that there isn't much visual stuff going on yet. Expect a video next week though!

Comment

Working...
                                X