Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Antidamage View Post
    No worries! That's what the thread is here for.

On mobile there are -no- custom post-processing blendables. You get a handful of default effects and that's it! The cel shader works using a post-processing blendable so unfortunately going mobile disables it completely.

I asked the Epic devs about this during Thursday's Twitch stream and they said it's something they'd like to address in a later Twitch session so I'm guessing that it's a while off. It can't be that far though as modern mobile devices are powerful enough to handle another rendering pass.

In the meantime I'm looking into adding some assets to the paid version to allow for a form of mobile cel shading. I'll update the thread with more info on this once I've made some progress.
    Excellent, thank you for replying. Hopefully they we may get post-processing blendables on mobile eventually then I can start using your cel shader in anger, I can still play about with it on windows for now though,

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No worries! That's what the thread is here for.

On mobile there are -no- custom post-processing blendables. You get a handful of default effects and that's it! The cel shader works using a post-processing blendable so unfortunately going mobile disables it completely.

I asked the Epic devs about this during Thursday's Twitch stream and they said it's something they'd like to address in a later Twitch session so I'm guessing that it's a while off. It can't be that far though as modern mobile devices are powerful enough to handle another rendering pass.

In the meantime I'm looking into adding some assets to the paid version to allow for a form of mobile cel shading. I'll update the thread with more info on this once I've made some progress.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sorry for bumping this thread. I am currently working on some concepts in UE4.61. I have added your cel shading project from GitHub and it works great. However, when I try to run this on an Android mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) I see no kind of shading effect...
    Now, I am very new to UE4 and am still learning, but I was wondering if there was something simple I was missing? Hopefully, it's just a setting I need to alter, then I can buy the full version of the shader for use in my games,

Thank you for any help given,

John

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Great work Antidamage

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Interesting Tutorial, not much new for me, but still useful. ^^

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've posted a new tutorial discussing how to texture for cel-shading here: http://skull.co.nz/how-to-texture-for-cel-shading/

It's worth reading as it covers some things that aren't immediately obvious when you start using the shader.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've started a blog and added some documentation there so you'll have no choice but to read it: http://skull.co.nz/cel-shader-introduction/

I'll continue fleshing it out as people ask questions and as I get time.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So since I have two threads for this running, I'll devote this thread solely to help and updates and the other thread to screenshots and PR.

Anyway, I've just branched the git project into two new branches: 4_5 and 4_4. These are the engine versions that each branch is compatible with. The branches are currently identical but I'll rebuild the project for UE 4.4 in about 8 hours.

The reason for this is you can't migrate 4.5 material assets into 4.4 projects, or at least you can't migrate the master celshader material. This means that UE 4.4 projects have been left behind for the last week and we can't be having that.

If you're using UE 4.5, 4_5 will be a clone of master. I'm going to have a go at building the latest pre-release version of UE from source as well and if this is successful I'll create a new branch for that release. Master will always match the current stable release of Unreal Engine.

More updates soon.
    Last edited by Antidamage; 10-27-2014, 06:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MrCheese View Post
    I started learning how to do this kind of thing myself last night, but I give up now, I'm just using this. Thanks! This is a really nice shader.

I *think* this will work for my game and should have some time to work on it soon. I'll show you if if it fits my idea.
    Hehe good to hear Let me know if you need any help!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I started learning how to do this kind of thing myself last night, but I give up now, I'm just using this. Thanks! This is a really nice shader.

I *think* this will work for my game and should have some time to work on it soon. I'll show you if if it fits my idea.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Interesting

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The good news is the cel shader is now under review for the marketplace!

I shared this one on twitter already (@Antidamage) but here it is again. This is the pirate from the sample content. You can play as him and run around the island.

And because I love doing this, here's the non-shaded version for comparison:

Last edited by Antidamage; 10-22-2014, 04:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wow, just wow. These shaders are the bomb. Keep it up!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Many thanks again Antidamage Exclusions option works perfectly!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    After a request from Daren I've added the ability to use the custom depth buffer flag to exclude objects from shading. You can also reverse this behaviour and only cel-shade certain objects with the custom depth buffer flag. Unfortunately landscapes can't participate in custom depth buffers, but you can work around this. The end result is that you can mix PBR style rendering with cel shaded content, ala Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

The options:

Normal:

Skull excluded from shading:

Behaviour reversed so that only the skull is shaded:
    Last edited by Antidamage; 10-19-2014, 06:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X