No announcement yet.

Hair Rendering Simulation test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There will be a bit of a delay on any more features, as I am porting the code to v4.3 which has required some substantial changes to the rendering portion of the hair simulation. So I have put a hold on the editor integration until this is done.
    FluidSurface Plugin: https://github.com/Ehamloptiran/UnrealEngine/releases
    TextureMovie Plugin: https://github.com/Ehamloptiran/TextureMoviePlugin

Comment

Awesome Thread...

Streams: www.Twitch.tv/BlinkTheory
      Patreon: www.Patreon.com/BlinkTheory

Comment

Nice! Was thinking to use GameWorks for our game project... but then read it doesn't work great with AMD, so kinda stuck what to do with hair and fur for our game project :/
        STONE RAGE
        StoneRage Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/640860/Stone_Rage/
        https://stoneragegame.com/

Comment

@Ehamloptiran

Did you try asking someone from Staff of UE4 to make a request for the HairWorks SDK in your place and send it to you? Reason for the long reply period may be becouse generic/corporation contact email.

Comment

Originally posted by Johny View Post
            @Ehamloptiran

Did you try asking someone from Staff of UE4 to make a request for the HairWorks SDK in your place and send it to you? Reason for the long reply period may be becouse generic/corporation contact email.
            NVidia did respond, apparently HairWorks SDK is still in closed beta, I have asked them if I could be a part of the closed beta and I am still waiting for a response on that. If anyone from Epic would like to contact NVidia on my behalf, then that would be great, and I would be greatly appreciative, otherwise I will continue to wait and work on TressFX.

Comment

Hello Ehamloptiran,
              i love your work very much!!! The hair looks fantastic!
              Is it possible that you can upload the Furball-Scene-Content somewhere, so that we can try it out in UE4 too?
              Many Greetings,
              Andreas

Comment

Originally posted by halobungie View Post
                Hello Ehamloptiran,
                i love your work very much!!! The hair looks fantastic!
                Is it possible that you can upload the Furball-Scene-Content somewhere, so that we can try it out in UE4 too?
                Many Greetings,
                Andreas
                Thanks, I would love to be able to provide the content and the plugin now, but there is still a lot of work to do on it before its in a stable state. I am working on porting it to 4.3 and adding editor additions, and also just improving general speed, as well as implementing the improvements from TressFX v2.2 (Namely simulation improvements).

Comment

Originally posted by Ehamloptiran View Post
                  Thanks, I would love to be able to provide the content and the plugin now, but there is still a lot of work to do on it before its in a stable state. I am working on porting it to 4.3 and adding editor additions, and also just improving general speed, as well as implementing the improvements from TressFX v2.2 (Namely simulation improvements).
                  Kepp the good work my friend! Uqing TressFX 2.2 is very clever, try also to make it usbale for PS4 and Xbone, because both use TressFX. Thanks!

Comment

@Ehamloptiran, thanks for all your work This will improve the quality of characters a ton for UE4. I can't wait to use it for beards.
                    Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

any update?
                      Ehamloptiran, you are very good.

Comment

Hello Ehamloptiran,
                        have you any news for us?
                        Kind regards,
                        Andreas

Comment

A bit off-topic, but did you ever happen to finish and post your tutorial on writing custom shaders, Ehamloptiran? You made a comment on Answerhub a about a month ago that you were planning on writing one.

Comment

Wow! I am impressed that you have not only the lighting and shadows working but simulation too. We are looking to add isoline tessellation soon but not planning to hit hair shading/shadowing for a while.

We don't have fixed plans regarding forward shading. Clearly some amount of forward shading support is required for translucent surfaces like glass. I don't foresee us switching to completely forward shading due to the cost of quad overdraw, complete depth prepass, small batches, etc. So long as the GBuffer can be relatively small in size, a deferred shading set up can be extremely fast. Having a feature complete hybrid, meaning all features work in both deferred and forward paths is the worse of both because we can't take advantage of specific optimizations available to only one of the paths. The code complexity is also bad. The most likely solution is full featured deferred and limited featured hybrid. This means a light sources are approximated past a certain limit, single cubemap, things like that. For hair for example some games have shaded hair with one light source approximating all incoming light. The most difficult part of most rendering features in UE4 is making them play well with everything else, shading models, light types, indirect diffuse and specular, shadow methods, translucency, etc. These decisions will come as we work through the problems.

There is a possibility hair can be treated as opaque for the purposes of shading, using stochastic transparency + temporal AA + directional filtering will solve the aliasing. 4xMSAA and alpha test was used for the hair in Samaritan and Agnis philosophy to great effect. If this does work it would be a huge win because overdraw on hair is quite large. This is likely the direction we will try first, partly because it is much easier to implement.

Comment

Whoops, I logged in with the wrong account. The last post was me.

Comment

Originally posted by SomParRaa View Post
                                any update?
                                Ehamloptiran, you are very good.
                                Originally posted by halobungie View Post
                                Hello Ehamloptiran,
                                have you any news for us?
                                Kind regards,
                                Andreas
                                Long time no response from me. Currently there is no update to show. I am discussing a few things with AMD about organization of the source and task allocation. So hopefully we will be able to get cracking on some good updates soon. Editor and Material Editor integration and rendering optimizations being top priority in my list.

Originally posted by CaptainScience View Post
                                A bit off-topic, but did you ever happen to finish and post your tutorial on writing custom shaders, Ehamloptiran? You made a comment on Answerhub a about a month ago that you were planning on writing one.
                                Hi CaptainScience, I am working on some code to upload to my github account with some accompanying doco, I do apologise that this is taking a while, but unfortunately at the moment I have very little spare time. If you have any particular pressing questions that can't wait, I can be found on the IRC chat room (#unrealengine on freenode).

Originally posted by zeroprey View Post
                                Wow! I am impressed that you have not only the lighting and shadows working but simulation too.
                                Thanks, it was actually pretty easy to get the initial integration going in the UE4 source code, dealing with Vertex Factories, Drawing policies and RHI are so nice, makes things easy to work with. As for the lighting and shadows, it actually only takes the main directional light into consideration for now. I would like to extend that

We are looking to add isoline tessellation soon but not planning to hit hair shading/shadowing for a while.
                                I probably still have some code sitting somewhere with isoline tessellation added. When I was originally using NVidia's hair rendering code. I could probably clean that up and submit a PR if you think it would help.

We don't have fixed plans regarding forward shading. Clearly some amount of forward shading support is required for translucent surfaces like glass. I don't foresee us switching to completely forward shading due to the cost of quad overdraw, complete depth prepass, small batches, etc. So long as the GBuffer can be relatively small in size, a deferred shading set up can be extremely fast. Having a feature complete hybrid, meaning all features work in both deferred and forward paths is the worse of both because we can't take advantage of specific optimizations available to only one of the paths. The code complexity is also bad. The most likely solution is full featured deferred and limited featured hybrid. This means a light sources are approximated past a certain limit, single cubemap, things like that. For hair for example some games have shaded hair with one light source approximating all incoming light. The most difficult part of most rendering features in UE4 is making them play well with everything else, shading models, light types, indirect diffuse and specular, shadow methods, translucency, etc. These decisions will come as we work through the problems.

There is a possibility hair can be treated as opaque for the purposes of shading, using stochastic transparency + temporal AA + directional filtering will solve the aliasing. 4xMSAA and alpha test was used for the hair in Samaritan and Agnis philosophy to great effect. If this does work it would be a huge win because overdraw on hair is quite large. This is likely the direction we will try first, partly because it is much easier to implement.
                                Thanks for this information it has given me some things to think about.

Comment

Working...
                                X