WaveWorks Infinite Ocean Planes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiTecK3D View Post
    N8128 As always thank you for the invaluable information!

Tx_Loser - 4.13 does not have any of the waveworks tech in it, at the moment it looks to be only in the 4.12.5 branch. But if you extract out only the waveworks integration you should be able to move it up to the 4.13 branch.
    Thanks! But I want to know how use waveworks in the 4.12.5. I did found any project about waveworks,I download waveworks branch and open the project, found the plane and the material is black!

Comment

Tx_Loser, I see what your saying now, it took me a sec to understand how to set it all up since there really is no documentation how on to use it or set it up. Also it is very basic and not a fully setup system, all those aspects have to be on you and what you want to do with it. I.E.. the material shader is there for the ocean rendering etc... But here is a basic setup on how to work with waveworks.

For the waveworks to work you will need three assets at bare minimum, which includes making the waveworks
      asset that houses all the settings for the ocean settings and the waveworks material with a waveworks node
      referencing the waveworks asset and also a new blueprint with the waveworks infinite ocean system.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterOceanMaterialAssets.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	1120613

You need to make a new material for your ocean that will have a waveworks node in it and this node will reference
      the waveworks asset and must have a texture coord in the uv's to work.

Name:	WaterOceanMaterial_00.JPG
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1120614

Along with the waveworks node and asset, the shader must have the flat tessellation enabled so the material will
      activate the waveworks rendering. If not the material will not work.

Name:	WaterOceanMaterial_01.JPG
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	1120615

You need to make a new blueprint actor and when you have it created add a new waveworks component. This is
      what is the quadtree system for the infinite ocean plane.

Name:	WaterOceanBlueprint.JPG
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	1120611

Once you have the blueprint with the new waveworks component then you need to assign the waveworks material
      to the waveworks component so the infinite ocean plane can render the mesh.

Name:	WaterOceanMaterial.JPG
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1120612
      Last edited by DigiTecK3D; 12-27-2016, 11:27 AM.
      DigiTecK3D - LinkedIn - Facebook - Twitter

Comment

Thanks so much

Comment

Tx_Loser, I see what your saying now, it took me a sec to understand how to set it all up since there really is no documentation how on to use it or set it up. Also it is very basic and not a fully setup system, all those aspects have to be on you and what you want to do with it. I.E.. the material shader is there for the ocean rendering etc... But here is a basic setup on how to work with waveworks.

For the waveworks to work you will need three assets at bare minimum, which includes making the waveworks
          asset that houses all the settings for the ocean settings and the waveworks material with a waveworks node
          referencing the waveworks asset and also a new blueprint with the waveworks infinite ocean system.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]122988[/ATTACH]

You need to make a new material for your ocean that will have a waveworks node in it and this node will reference
          the waveworks asset and must have a texture coord in the uv's to work.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]122989[/ATTACH]

Along with the waveworks node and asset, the shader must have the flat tessellation enabled so the material will
          activate the waveworks rendering. If not the material will not work.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]122990[/ATTACH]

You need to make a new blueprint actor and when you have it created add a new waveworks component. This is
          what is the quadtree system for the infinite ocean plane.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]122986[/ATTACH]

Once you have the blueprint with the new waveworks component then you need to assign the waveworks material
          to the waveworks component so the infinite ocean plane can render the mesh.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]122987[/ATTACH]
          Thanks so much!

Comment

Is this wave geenerator run just by a blueprint ?
            i need waves in my game for some of the planets.

Comment

If you are using a UE4 Build that has the Nvidia waveworks integrated into it, then yes you setup the wave generator in this fashion by using a blueprint setup.

Comment

Could anyone please post minimal working project using WaveWorks.

Comment

Are you using the 4.12 Galaxyman waveworks build?

Comment

Originally posted by TX_LOSER View Post
                    Thanks! But I want to know how use waveworks in the 4.12.5. I did found any project about waveworks,I download waveworks branch and open the project, found the plane and the material is black!
                    Excuse me, can you tell me how to extract out only the waveworks?

Comment

Originally posted by TX_LOSER View Post
                      Excuse me, can you tell me how to extract out only the waveworks?
                      Tx_Loser, This isn't exactly a very quick and simple thing to do exactly. I had to go back to the Galaxyman engine drop with waveworks,hairworks and the various nvidia tech in it for the 4.12 version and get a blank engine 4.12 and difference the two engines to pull out the difference and then extract out all the waveworks code. Which involved also cleaning out the various other nvidia tech I didn't need since I was only concerned with waveworks code. Then integrating the isolated waveworks code into our blank work engine 4.12 version for the project we needed to have water in.

Recently one of our lead tech artist took that isolated code and had to integrate it up to 4.14 for us and from talking to him that also had some issue do to with some rendering and file location changes so he had to find those differences and put them in the proper location and adjust for rendering changes. Wasn't a lot of changes, but enough that it was still more work on top to maintain waveworks.

Comment

Thanks a lot !
                        Last edited by TX_LOSER; 03-20-2017, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Tx_Loser, This isn't exactly a very quick and simple thing to do exactly. I had to go back to the Galaxyman engine drop with waveworks,hairworks and the various nvidia tech in it for the 4.12 version and get a blank engine 4.12 and difference the two engines to pull out the difference and then extract out all the waveworks code. Which involved also cleaning out the various other nvidia tech I didn't need since I was only concerned with waveworks code. Then integrating the isolated waveworks code into our blank work engine 4.12 version for the project we needed to have water in.

Recently one of our lead tech artist took that isolated code and had to integrate it up to 4.14 for us and from talking to him that also had some issue do to with some rendering and file location changes so he had to find those differences and put them in the proper location and adjust for rendering changes. Wasn't a lot of changes, but enough that it was still more work on top to maintain waveworks.
                          I have saw an update in waveworks, and I compare waveworks branch with UE4.15 , the github display able to merge . So, does it support ue4.15? If i want merge several nvidia branch, can only click creat pull request?

Comment

Update for Unreal 4.15 is pretty sweet.. has interaction and wave action with the coast line.. This was their update for GDC this year

Co-Chair of the IGDA Virtual, Augmented, and Mixed Realities Special Interest Group
                            www.jamietelford.com

Comment

Working...
                            X