Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLUGIN] City Architect

Discontinued
    There is already an amazing open source plugin by MikeFricker called StreetMap. Check it out here

City Architect

City Architect is an plugin that extends the UE4 editor and lets you interactively design huge procedural cities.

Use the new City Editor Mode to interactively influence the layout of your city

Features
    [More info will be added here as the product matures]

Video
    Early prototype

Last edited by Ali Akbar; 01-01-2017, 02:36 PM.
    Dungeon Architect | Prefabricator

Discord Support

Hey guys, Last night I started working on a city generator. It is based on this awesome paper.

Here are the results so far:

Right now its built in C#/WinForms for quick prototyping. The data maps (land / water boundary, population density etc) come from photoshop. Once I have this finalized, I'll move this over to C++ and build tooling around the landscape editor so you can provide this data maps by painting on the landscape, to influence the city layout.

Video:

Discord Support

Comment

Can we use this to lay down our own streets any easier?

Comment

That should be possible

Discord Support

Comment

I can already see it: Ali Akbar does it again. Can't wait to see the final result!

Comment

@KoldKam Thanks!

Improved the road connections to join with nearby nodes if possible. Added Streets and Blocks

Discord Support

Comment

woo this is awesome!! reading the paper right now. Looking foward for this! thanks Ali Akbar
              pd: Excuse my English.

Comment

Next month Ali releases a "Procedural GTA Game Plugin" with procedural cities, quests, cars and characters

Your work is simply awesome, Ali!
                VR Shooter Guns - Arcade Shooter for Vive
                Unreal Meetup Franken - Unreal Engine 4 Meetup
                Hands for VR: Basic - For Vive and Oculus [Marketplace]
                Hands for VR: SciFi - For HTC Vive and Oculus Touch [Marketplace]

Comment

@btengelh, @Alexarg, Thanks!

Discord Support

Comment

Hey Ali - Looks good so far.

Cannot wait to see this in engine. I am thoroughly hyped.

- HeadClot

Comment

Is this mainly for generating the street grids?
                      Does it do anything to sculpting terrain, placing meshes, making street textures intersect, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by jwatte View Post
                        Is this mainly for generating the street grids?
                        Does it do anything to sculpting terrain, placing meshes, making street textures intersect, etc?
                        It will generate roads, intersection and buildings. I'll use a graph based theming engine (like the one in dungeon architect) to let the user decorate the roads (lamp posts, pavements road blocks etc) and building surroundings. It will also generate simple buildings using a basic Building Generator. This building generator can be swapped with another generated (e.g. created by another developer in the market place)

The layout is built on the terrain, so terrain heights are taken into consideration

Bridges, metros and subways is also planned later. The road layout is a huge network in memory. So traffic can also be simulated

Discord Support

Comment

Wow, First Dungeon then this! Youre too good Ali Akbar

Comment

So question Ali - Will we be able to use Open Street map data with this tool?

Comment

You absolutely made my day by announcing this, you have at least my guaranteed purchase the instant it comes out.

One question, do you have plans to implement any kind of level streaming or other memory optimization into the final product? That's the big hurdle I've had trouble with building cities by hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X