Augmented Reality for UE4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve_T View Post
    Finally got a chance to mess around with this for our project. It works great so far!
    Good news so far! What are you guys working on ?
    Last edited by AdamHorvath; 12-21-2015, 09:41 AM.
    AR plugin for UE4
    AR Virtual Mirror plugin for UE4
    Red Alert 2 VR remake
    Armed Island VR RTS

Comment

Hi Adam, I'm looking at doing something similar at the moment, porting some of our Aruco code. I was wondering how you took control of the projection matrix so that it matches your calibrated instrinsic camera parameters? Last time I did something similar, I had to modify the engine itself (which is not an option now). Did you extend UGameViewportClient instead? UE4 really needs to expose some of these controls
      Last edited by num3ric; 12-21-2015, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamHorvath View Post
        I am glad it's working fine on your end!

These 2 are looking promissing:

http://www.osterhoutgroup.com/products-r7-glasses
        http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/j...n_moverio_2014
        Great. Thanks for the info.

Looks like those won't be out for a while perhaps. Wondering if something will be available in the next month? I suppose a VR head set might work that we can't see through as long as it has a live video feed that lets us see the real world in real time, similar to the windowless airplanes and cars of the future. Not sure if VR head sets with real time cameras exist either though? Seems like even Google Cardboard should be able to do that since the I-phones have a camera that lets you see its results in real time on its screen?

///Edit
        Opps. Looks like the Epson glasses are available. That's great.
        Your motorcycle and matinee demo look awesome. Thanks for this Christmas gift!
        Last edited by MaderMax; 12-25-2015, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by num3ric View Post
          Hi Adam, I'm looking at doing something similar at the moment, porting some of our Aruco code. I was wondering how you took control of the projection matrix so that it matches your calibrated instrinsic camera parameters? Last time I did something similar, I had to modify the engine itself (which is not an option now). Did you extend UGameViewportClient instead? UE4 really needs to expose some of these controls
          There is no way to do that, you have to modify the engine. The plugin is set up for an "average" webcam, and don't do any camera specific distortion / lens correction. I am also waiting for this to be exposed in the engine.
          AR plugin for UE4
          Red Alert 2 VR remake
          Armed Island VR RTS

Comment

Agree, your prices are insane as most part is open source software.
            Show some respect to the ones taking the effort giving the source for free, the thing you did is just embed it into UE4 which probably is less then 5% of it.
            You can ask money for that but $250 is just way too greedy.

Comment

Originally posted by DiGiCT View Post
              Agree, your prices are insane as most part is open source software.
              Show some respect to the ones taking the effort giving the source for free, the thing you did is just embed it into UE4 which probably is less then 5% of it.
              You can ask money for that but $250 is just way too greedy.
              You can download the binary version and use all of it's features for FREE. If you want to create commercial apps and sell them, you need to buy the full version of the plugin with source code , I think it's normal.
              As you don't have it, you have no clue how much work, and time I put into it's development. Before posting such comments do some research! Similar solutions could cost $500-1000 /app /platform or /year or even more and you won't get the source code. If you don't like the price, don't buy it, you can always create your own integration of AR SDKs yourself.
              AR plugin for UE4
              Red Alert 2 VR remake
              Armed Island VR RTS

Comment

Originally posted by mrmmarc View Post
                Totally agree with everything you just said. :-)

I actually think the price is an absolute bargain!
                If you have not looked at the costs involved with similar AR systems, you really should.
                Massive one off fee's or ongoing subscriptions (even on slightly crippled versions), pay per tracker impressions, mandatory watermarks....

Adams one off price of $249 is crazy good!

Yes, he uses a free opensource framework but he has worked hard to put it in an easy to use package for us shmoes. I always think of how many man hours this would have taken me to do if I attempted to create a usable, cross-platform plugin and I charge $56 per hour for my time.

Adam is being a gift horse here. Be grateful or he may stick the price up. ;-)
                Thank your for your support! :-)
                AR plugin for UE4
                Red Alert 2 VR remake
                Armed Island VR RTS

Comment

Originally posted by AdamHorvath View Post
                  You can download the binary version and use all of it's features for FREE. If you want to create commercial apps and sell them, you need to buy the full version of the plugin with source code , I think it's normal...
                  Very normal and worth more than the price you set. This was my first time trying AR and it worked perfect out the box with my Logitech C300 webcam. It works great with Unreal Blueprint and Matinee so far just like you said it would. Awesome!

Comment

Camera failing to initialize on Android.
                    I tried running the sample project after compiling the engine from source with adding what is provided in the purchased plugin zip into the engine and my project while following the documents but when i run it on my phone i can only see the UI with a white background. The camera fails to initialize. Error is as follows: "ARToolkit is not initialized properly. Possible webcam init error. Webcam init error!" I've used both 4.9, and 4.10 on a galaxy note5. Any tips on how to debug this?

I'll try it on a different phones tomorrow.
                    Last edited by Kyndred; 12-29-2015, 12:45 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

I tried to run the free demo, but I have a problem when I open it in my laptop, it says webcam error (same when I tried on Desktop PC without Webcam), how can I fix this to make the program recognice the laptop webcam?
                      HeXentic Games
                      Creative Director
                      http://hexentic.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Kyndred View Post
                        Camera failing to initialize on Android.
                        I tried running the sample project after compiling the engine from source with adding what is provided in the purchased plugin zip into the engine and my project while following the documents but when i run it on my phone i can only see the UI with a white background. The camera fails to initialize. Error is as follows: "ARToolkit is not initialized properly. Possible webcam init error. Webcam init error!" I've used both 4.9, and 4.10 on a galaxy note5. Any tips on how to debug this?

I'll try it on a different phones tomorrow.
                        Hi,

To debug on android:

1. Open a windows command prompt
                        2. type adb logcat -s UE4
                        3. run the app on the phone while connected to the computer
                        4. you will see some debug messages from unreal
                        5. the ones starting with artoolkit are related to the plugin

Also can you please check your phone's file system ? There should be /storage/emulated/0/UE4game/YOUR_APP_NAME/YOUR_APP_NAME/Content/ARToolkit/Data and DataNFT
                        If those directories are missing add them in your project's package settings -> additional non asset directories to copy
                        AR plugin for UE4
                        Red Alert 2 VR remake
                        Armed Island VR RTS

Comment

Originally posted by Taurustar View Post
                          I tried to run the free demo, but I have a problem when I open it in my laptop, it says webcam error (same when I tried on Desktop PC without Webcam), how can I fix this to make the program recognice the laptop webcam?
                          Open the demo project, and edit the ARToolkitBase blueprint. You will find a node Init. Try to change the dev num property from the default 1 to some other id.
                          AR plugin for UE4
                          Red Alert 2 VR remake
                          Armed Island VR RTS

Comment

logcat says
                            ARToolkit: Init starter
                            ARToolkit: Param load start
                            ARToolkit:Error: Camera parameter load error !!

ARtoolkit directory is already added in project's package settings -> additional non asset directories to copy.

I only see a saved folder in /storage/emulated/0/UE4game/YOUR_APP_NAME/YOUR_APP_NAME/

no content folder at all and if i manually copy it onto the phone, the logs shows that it got through all of the plugin loading but the game also never opens appearing to crash on some widget.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyndred View Post
                              logcat says
                              ARToolkit: Init starter
                              ARToolkit: Param load start
                              ARToolkit:Error: Camera parameter load error !!

ARtoolkit directory is already added in project's package settings -> additional non asset directories to copy.

I only see a saved folder in /storage/emulated/0/UE4game/YOUR_APP_NAME/YOUR_APP_NAME/

no content folder at all and if i manually copy it onto the phone, the logs shows that it got through all of the plugin loading but the game also never opens appearing to crash on some widget.
                              I successfully reproduced the problem on a borrowed LG phone. Now working on fixing the issue. I'll get back to you ASAP.
                              AR plugin for UE4
                              Red Alert 2 VR remake
                              Armed Island VR RTS

Comment

You sir are a 5 star dev, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X