Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by ioFlow Studios View Post
    I figured out how to remake my nebula materials using 3d textures instead of shader based noise:

As you can see in the video, I'm using Salmonick Ateliers work as a goal.

I think I got the same look and feel but I'm not Ryan Bruck clever enough to emulate that fine detail...
    Really glad to see this still going! And man, Salmonick had some nice visuals. Yours is really awesome as a work around. Definitely something I'd look into as an alternative to Ryan's raymarching.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I figured out how to remake my nebula materials using 3d textures instead of shader based noise:

As you can see in the video, I'm using Salmonick Ateliers work as a goal.

I think I got the same look and feel but I'm not Ryan Bruck clever enough to emulate that fine detail...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Fire Truck.

There's a bug in the shader compilation that won't let me compile my cool nebula volume based materials in 4.26

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-12-29 150459.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	1847295

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Aaand here's a version that's all boxed up to run as an in game view of a star cluster...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oops.

Think I accidentally did something clever.

I just maxed out the route thickness and turned down their opacity and emission...
    Last edited by ioFlow Studios; 12-28-2020, 04:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That feeling when you just about pop an eyeball getting something going, but then once you get it going it's not as good as you thought it would be.

I mean, it looks pretty as a pic, but in 3d moving around it's way too noisy with all the routes turned on :\

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2020-12-28 180614.jpg Views:	0 Size:	523.9 KB ID:	1847062

Leave a comment:

• replied
    lol, "schedule"... heh heh heh.

I just keep chipping away cos it's interesting to work on.

When I need a break I just do something else for a month or two.

Re SC, atm it's not being able to retrieve vehicles or ships, specially if you done RENTED them.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MikeRPG View Post
    I would pay decent money for a planet generator right now, just spent the last few months building a haggard workflow with World Machine that's just not worth continuing with, especially if Eden is scheduled sometime in the next 6 months. Any insight on a release date?
    ^ This ^ - Wondering if Bitcoin will be past 'one million' when Eden finally gets released? ‚Äč

Originally posted by ioFlow Studios View Post
    Ho ho ho everyone, merry christmas thank you star citizen for annoying me so badly with all your bugs that I got off my bum and got back into this.
    Seriously, how do you keep going with inter-year projects, when its easy to just give up.
    Overall good to see the planetary conquest continues. What SC bugs annoy you most?
    Last edited by UnrealEnterprise; 12-24-2020, 12:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ho ho ho everyone, merry christmas

Also, I done made this quick video of some tests I'm doing with procedural (mesh) star fields.

My existing galaxy is missing several zeroes in it's star count, so now each star in it will instead be one of these star cluster cells:

P.S. thank you star citizen for annoying me so badly with all your bugs that I got off my bum and got back into this.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Looks good io

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thumbs up on progress! And persistence!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Aight, this is not very glamorous yet, but I've literally spent years trying to get to this point so gosh darn it I'm posting screenshots.

Name:	Screenshot 2020-09-26 231137.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1815750

So here we got a dynamic texture... using the antigrain plugin that I've cobbled together, I can draw bsplines in it.

And now I can also draw patterns along them, so I've coded a uv square pattern generator.

The whole point is that I can feed this into a material and use the pattern above to generate uv coordinates for another texture, like this:

Name:	Screenshot 2020-09-26 231155.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1815751

yah yah, I know it's rough, but hey it's a functional test not an artwork, the cosmetic side can easily be tarted up from here.

Anyways, you might have noticed in the last video that the "roads" were overly sqiggly little green lines, now they can be proper looking roads

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Aight, long time no post

I am, believe it or not, still working on this... if anything the situation this year has put it ahead of traditional distractions (i.e. playing live music). Anyways, I try to hold off posting here unless I've got something decent to show, but after half killing myself this weekend I've got some fairly critical tests going:

Still pretty rough, but basically the idea is this:
    Fitting rivers and roads to procedurally generated terrain is way hard, instead of doing it at the end, why not do it at the start?

Problem with doing it in a material though is that you have to then try and translate that displacement into world positions so that you can do things like travel down the river or drive along roads. This was unpleasantly difficult to figure out (made much worse by the fact that I forgot to turn sRGB off in my noise texture) but I seem to be getting it under control now

The test map is only 1k, but the idea is that I can just regenerate it on the fly in the lods of my planet mesh as they move around the surface making it basically infinite. As you can see at the start the base texture is just simple tetris shapes and lines and primitives (easy to generate), it's the displacement that makes them look more natural.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yay, new data structure for new lod code:

Name:	newLodDataStructure.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	1756099Trying to prevent sampling noise from the same spot, so when a quad splits it inherits existing samples from its parent (P) or siblings (S), what it can't get from them it has to create (C).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yah, I think Xenthorx is the front runner atm

Haven't heard anything from Dexy in a while...

Phyronnaz's voxel plugin is pretty amazing too.

As for me, Imma gonna play around see if I can code some better LODing, those basic geometry clip maps just lose detail too quickly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X