The Eden Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ioFlow Studios View Post
    At its base it would still be a sphere, but part of what I'd like to do is be able to place height maps manually to override the noise based heightmaps.

So in your case you could place a simple radial gradient height map at the northpole and just make it _really_ big.
    Looking back on that - aren't you using some sort of quadsphere though? Would you map a cylindrical projection height-map without too much trouble?

Comment

You could, but cylindrical mapping on a sphere always creates pinching at the poles...

Comment

Little proof of life video... still battling with character movement:

Don't mind too much though, getting this stuff right will let people do all sorts of characters and vehicles on eden.

Comment

Comment

Good progress Simon!

Ever wonder what you could achieve if you had 4 years, 400 staff, and 100 million funding... ???

Comment

PROGRESS!

Hey I cannot wait to buy this! That said Money SOON!

Comment

Heh heh, I know I know... this current stuff (custom pawns / gravity) is a bit harder for me than the proc mesh stuff so it's going a bit slower sorry

On the up side, my brother has just chickened out of the satch gig in december, so there's not much point piling lots of hours practice into that anymore

More time for Eden I guess... (sigh)

Comment

Heh heh, I know I know... this current stuff (custom pawns / gravity) is a bit harder for me than the proc mesh stuff so it's going a bit slower sorry

On the up side, my brother has just chickened out of the satch gig in december, so there's not much point piling lots of hours practice into that anymore

More time for Eden I guess... (sigh)
                  Take your time. I would rather to see something done right than done in a rushed manner

Comment

Very nice project, many applications. Can't wait to see that one finished.

Comment

This is awesome work. Well done.
                      How are you finding movement across the dice boundaries ?
                      Are there any navigation issues ?
                      I am considering something like this for an MMO I had planned out.

Instead of using quads..and as you're using your own mapping anyway.
                      Why didnt you go triangulation and icosahedral instead of quads on a dice ?
                      I know its a whole order of magnitude more complex, but would it not help with distortion issues....or are they arbitrary with the way you have rigged it ?

Pure Class.
                      /thumbsup

Comment

Hi Mick,

No dramas moving between the different panels in the cube, as the players position is based on latitude and longitude.

I did try icosahedral stuff at the start but didn't have much luck getting my head around understanding or implementing it.

Comment

I posted on something else asking if it was like this.

Would you be able to have a satellite obit, or a moon, other planets with their own orbit, based on an angle so they are only in the 'world' when they orbit in the right position (so they save memory and outrageous world limits)???
                          'Admonished' by Breakdown Studios; EARLY PREVIEW
                          https://www.facebook.com/AdmonishedBreakdownStudios/ & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=famQjmWY6ZE

Comment

Hey there nolea94,

Sure, although with the lod system in Eden, at that distance they would only be a couple of hundred polys and use hardly any memory.

Comment

What a nice Project! This will be an incredible tool, congrats and thanks for sharing!

Comment

Yeesh, two and a half months since I posted last...

I'll just leave these here then eh?

Click image for larger version

Name:	170217_225400_galaxy03.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	1123178Click image for larger version

Name:	170217_225400_galaxy01.jpg
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1123179Click image for larger version

Name:	170217_225400_galaxy02.jpg