X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are still working on this, right?

Comment

Yep

Bit slow because I'm juggling between a few different things, but I just migrated everything into 4.24 the other weekend.

Fwiw, the bit I'm up to is integrating virtual texturing via antigrain geometry so that we're not stuck with that bare moon look.

Looking forward to 4.25 with all the rumours about volumetric clouds for spherical worlds, but I guess we'll see if that happens...

Comment

Aight.

Well, first of all, hello there

So I been indulging in a bit of necromancy to see if I get this stuff up and going again.

Actually had a monster day yesterday, got a mountain of work done (pardon the pun).

Implemented a Truche(ish) pattern, looks like this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Annotation-20200505-213630.jpg Views:	0 Size:	168.0 KB ID:	1755427
        Then a bit of noise to displace the position of the vertices before I feed em into the thingy that uses their position to generate the pattern:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Annotation-20200505-213638.jpg Views:	0 Size:	178.2 KB ID:	1755428
        Then same thing again but a bunch smaller:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Annotation-20200505-213645.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.8 KB ID:	1755429

Comment

But then there's the problem that all the mountain peaks are at the same height:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation-20200505-213655.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	1755431

So then I add a bit of vertical noise to break that up:

Name:	Annotation-20200505-213702.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	1755432

Doesn't look amazing from up here because the lod is overly aggressive, but down on ground with a bit of tweaking and fiddling you get nice views like this:

Name:	Annotation-20200505-211705.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	1755433

Comment

Anyways, I'm a bit stuck, thought I might post some stuff in case someone can help me.

When I play in editor, the procedural mesh doesn't render. The collision is there (I can run on it), it casts shadows, you just can't see it :\

To make it weirder, if I eject, it shows up... any tips/clues?

Name:	Annotation-20200505-215455.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1755436

Comment

Ah... got it.

Got some black magic off Phryonnaz for doing in editor updates of the planet LOD focal point... seems to be causing it.

Bit of googling should bring it right.

Comment

Lots of popping between LOD octaves, that's tomorrow nights problem

Comment

Was about to show up at your pad and smash up some guitars.
                  Seriously, its nice to see you back working this on this Simon!!!
                  But just to say you've got some new competition examples here.
                  Last edited by EntrpriseCustomr; 05-06-2020, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Yah, I think Xenthorx is the front runner atm

Haven't heard anything from Dexy in a while...

Phyronnaz's voxel plugin is pretty amazing too.

As for me, Imma gonna play around see if I can code some better LODing, those basic geometry clip maps just lose detail too quickly.

Comment

Yay, new data structure for new lod code:

Name:	newLodDataStructure.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	1756099Trying to prevent sampling noise from the same spot, so when a quad splits it inherits existing samples from its parent (P) or siblings (S), what it can't get from them it has to create (C).

Comment

Working...
                      X