The Eden Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ioFlow Studios View Post

That last bit is definitely the fiddliest bit which has held me up for most of this year, but it needs doing because I was getting a small but persistent jitter walking along the planet surface.
    Did you ever figure out the solution to the jitter? I was able to find a solution with 6dof walking on planets and no jitter. Character alignment and the origin rebasing process were sticking points for me.
    Last edited by MikeRPG; 09-03-2018, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Yah, just working on it at the moment... it turned into one of those threads that you pull on and more and more thread just keeps coming out.

Origin rebasing is the simple answer of course, but it's more complicated for me because I want to have full solar systems with orbital mechanics.

Which I've almost got done too, and once I have I'll be able to implement my rebasing and hopefully lose the jitter

Comment

I have full solar systems, which is why I'm not so subtly trying to see where you're at with Eden. The origin rebasing was only part of the issue; the main cause of jitter, in my case, was the character alignment methodology.

I would pay decent money for a planet generator right now, just spent the last few months building a haggard workflow with World Machine that's just not worth continuing with, especially if Eden is scheduled sometime in the next 6 months. Any insight on a release date?
        Last edited by MikeRPG; 09-04-2018, 12:03 PM.

Comment

MikeRPG

6 months??? - You're going to have to go over to Simon's house and steal his guitar collection... ... Seriously, there were such high hopes for planetary tech just 2/3 years ago. Now? Procedural Terrain / Planetary / Galaxy projects are looking more like vaporware than reality. That said, check out this mind blowing work in progress if you haven't already. Its not for sale though (I asked already) - dexyfex ...
          Last edited by ClavosTech; 09-04-2018, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Yeah I've been following those other projects too, Eden looks the closest to being viable. Have to decide to use placeholder planets and work on everything else or just dive in and write it myself.
            Last edited by MikeRPG; 09-04-2018, 09:28 PM.

Comment

MikeRPG, World Machine wouldn't come to mind right away when considering planetary generation. I did notice though in the most recent release (Mt Daniel Build version 3022) that Stephen included a star field example in the Example Files. Not sure which WM version you are using, but that seems really interesting. Of course it doesn't actually produce any spheres, rather an image of a star field and a few nebulas. Still, I wonder if anything could be done with that as a template in the meantime (until you find your more permanent solution). In any case I thought it was impressive considering WM is mainly for terrain generation.
              Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build
              bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce
              bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. (Rich Cook)

Comment

Originally posted by junfanbl View Post
                MikeRPG, World Machine wouldn't come to mind right away when considering planetary generation. I did notice though in the most recent release (Mt Daniel Build version 3022) that Stephen included a star field example in the Example Files. Not sure which WM version you are using, but that seems really interesting. Of course it doesn't actually produce any spheres, rather an image of a star field and a few nebulas. Still, I wonder if anything could be done with that as a template in the meantime (until you find your more permanent solution). In any case I thought it was impressive considering WM is mainly for terrain generation.
                I have a solution with 3ds Max to turn them into spheres. Not using WM for anything but the terrain right now. Volumetric galaxies are definitely a future feature.
                Last edited by MikeRPG; 09-05-2018, 04:08 PM.

Comment

I feel your pain everyone, believe me

MikeRPG, in the meantime maybe check out this dude for planet tesselation: https://github.com/sp4cerat/Planet-LOD

Comment

This project looks Crazy! hope to see some more of it

Comment

How do you handle the landscape texturing?

Comment

Looking forwards to seeing where this project will go!

Comment

Someone Knows a solution like this in the form of a tutorial or an asset at the marketplace, this is awesome and unreal need this kind of thing, ive been searching and I cant find one, just at unity.

Comment

Hi, where can we get the spherical landscape system?

Comment

Working...
                            X