Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Normal Edge Detection ( and Speedpaint Art Style)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Normal Edge Detection ( and Speedpaint Art Style)

Hello together,

this is my approach on NPR shading in Unreal Engine 4. It is based on calculating world normal scene texture into a kind of blur pixel math. Its not finished though and since iam not a professional shader artist, it has its flaws and is unoptimized.
    I need to work more on the filtering methods so it does not cut so strong, even if that has its own style. To finish this up, i may have to ask some questions to you later.

See you,

Maternal

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	666.0 KB
ID:	1161342

• replied
    That is so amazing! Is it possibly to show us a clearer breakdown image of you material? I would like to know what you are doing to make this effect.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    What happened to this?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm curious if any more progress or updates have been made with this. What I find to be the most interesting about this technique is how the specular/gloss is broken up in a nonlinear way.

Name:	thing.jpg
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	1118327

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I would welcome any more information about this approach. I like the look and would want to try it out. Any ideas about access and time frames??

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Bariudol View Post
    This is amazing. Are you planing to share/sell this? I would love to get my hands on it
    I am curious about this as well

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is amazing. Are you planing to share/sell this? I would love to get my hands on it

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am sort of Working on it. I have to migrate it to newer Unreal Versions Tough. Also i have learned alot since then. This is what i have now :
    https://youtu.be/-Di0DVqJ9HA

Name:	13268599_1083326945074566_60258056460399281_o.jpg
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	1106961
    Last edited by Glutamatkrieger; 05-25-2016, 12:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Any chance on an update for this? Or can anyone tell me how I can achieve a similar effect if Maternal is no longer working on it? This is beautiful

Leave a comment:

• replied
    soooo,nice

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's amazing! I really didn't know that this can be achieved with shaders

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This looks really awesome!

As for the marketplace, yea.. its fairly slow, but without awesome content like this, or creators who care.. it would be a boring place

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So i got alot of requests recently and i first have to apologize for not being around that much. I had a lot to do and since i need much interested people to believe into something, i lost attention to this.
    For now, i would have to renew the project to the newer engine version. I also want to release a very clean, optimized version so this is a step that needs a bit extra work.

Since i am not so happy with the Marketplace system, i would release it on gumroad if thats okay. The problem with the Unreal Marketplace is that it kind of slows down artist like me that need a lot of patience and support to actually sell or create something. And most of the time, another person was faster and released something simliar. So its like a race to get the place in the Marketplace to dominate certain products. I don´t want to be part of that.

Anyway, you will hear from me soon after Christmas - i guess i can´t produce a good version in less than a week to make it perfect. And that is what really matters to me. And it will be very cheap, since i am more interested in sharing knowledge.

See you, and have nice holidays.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello again,

i was wrong about the Kuwahara Math, but now its working! Tested on the bumping pub. This is a modified Kuwahara method, it uses a normalmap or flow map for randomizing the pixel kernel.

Name:	ZaniaPost.JPG
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	1088211

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am working on refining the edge/blur detection. So this is my Kuwahara filter approach. (Testmodel is Juliet from Lollipop Chainsaw)
    As far as i know, Zelda Skyward Sword uses a simliar effect.

Name:	Kuwahara.JPG
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1088034

Name:	NoEffect.JPG
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	1088035

Leave a comment:

Working...