Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Normal Edge Detection ( and Speedpaint Art Style)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Bored Engineer,

the effect is done before anti-aliasing, so i was wrong in the first place. The cut out into another objects happens if the blur kernel to strong in edge areas, so the blurred pixels are reaching to far into another surface/object.
    I did manage to clean up edges vertical (at some point) but cant´t fix it on the left and right. The question is, how much is possible ? I don´t know how much can be done over postprocessing. This effect here is
    on the object which looks like a much better solution : https://vimeo.com/124624738

But i wanted to find a way to use it with post processing and at some point, it worked good. I wouldn´t even mind if some edges are cut out, i really enjoy this effect. But on the other hand, i want to archieve paint style in realtime in motion.
    One thing that would be really exiting is to use flow map on postprocess. Think about it, that would blur Pixels in directions and even follow the surface. But all my tests about that failed. If there would be one extra masking channel , where you could define pixel flow maps on the objects material and then blurring it on screen. That would look nice i guess.

Anyway, here is the screenshot explaining what i want to avoid :

Attached Files

Comment

Hey guys, i found this on the internet : http://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/vi...=2930&start=20

How is that even possible and how do we get this effect in Unreal. This is crazy.

Comment

Aaaaand its final ( if you ignore the reflection burn outs)

See you tomorrow
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Glutamatkrieger; 09-19-2015, 08:35 PM.

Comment

nice ! but way to much blurred for my taste.
          i liked the original more sharp ones better.
          will we have the ability to play with the settings when you release the effect ?
          www.ofpawnsandkings.de

Comment

Yes you can play with the settings as you want. The Material Instance takes normalmaps and flowmaps for calculating the offset. Basically, you can stack and mix every line and paint effect. I have used 4 Material instances on this scene. This effect is not for people watching at every frame drop. It is surprisingly fast and the framerates are ok ( on my computer). So i have no reference on that.

My Computer
            Íntel Core 2 Quad CPU 2.40GHz
            7Gigabyte Ram
            Nvidia 560gtx ti

Ah i need to "smart blur sharpen" the postprocess effect i forgot about that. I have done several attemps to sharpen the effect. It works over emboss edge filter.

So what i can offer for now :

World Normal Edge Detection
            World Normal Fresnel Edge Detection
            World Normal Hatch Effect
            Sobel Edge Detection
            Custom Depth Edge Detection
            Depth Edge Detection

Flowmap/Normalmap offset blur (paint effect)

Full control over every material post process.

Iam currently working on a game and i need to invest in hardware. This effect will be used on that game, and it cost me more than a week to develop it. So this postprocess package will cost a bit, but not much. Iam more interested in sharing ideas, but at the moment every penny counts.
            But it will take another week to finish it up i guess. Its not about making the material better, i will take a lot of time on the documentation part. As i said, i am not a professional techartist so all i managed to build here was on research like crazy. Perhaps my thoughts and my setups will give you alot of inspiration to reach more into this whole pixel manipulation thing.

Thanks for your interest in my work that really pushed me forward.

Comment

hi maternal.
              really glad to hear we can play with the values ;-)
              i really want to try this on some of my scenes, so keep up the good work and submit it to the marketplace.

would it be possible to add these effects to smoe object only, too ?
              i guess this is a whole screen only effect ?

but as it is your first screenshots were love at first sight for me !
              Last edited by stucki; 09-21-2015, 05:24 AM.
              www.ofpawnsandkings.de

Comment

I am working on refining the edge/blur detection. So this is my Kuwahara filter approach. (Testmodel is Juliet from Lollipop Chainsaw)
                As far as i know, Zelda Skyward Sword uses a simliar effect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kuwahara.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1088034

Name:	NoEffect.JPG
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	1088035

Comment

Hello again,

i was wrong about the Kuwahara Math, but now its working! Tested on the bumping pub. This is a modified Kuwahara method, it uses a normalmap or flow map for randomizing the pixel kernel.

Name:	ZaniaPost.JPG
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	1088211

Comment

So i got alot of requests recently and i first have to apologize for not being around that much. I had a lot to do and since i need much interested people to believe into something, i lost attention to this.
                    For now, i would have to renew the project to the newer engine version. I also want to release a very clean, optimized version so this is a step that needs a bit extra work.

Since i am not so happy with the Marketplace system, i would release it on gumroad if thats okay. The problem with the Unreal Marketplace is that it kind of slows down artist like me that need a lot of patience and support to actually sell or create something. And most of the time, another person was faster and released something simliar. So its like a race to get the place in the Marketplace to dominate certain products. I don´t want to be part of that.

Anyway, you will hear from me soon after Christmas - i guess i can´t produce a good version in less than a week to make it perfect. And that is what really matters to me. And it will be very cheap, since i am more interested in sharing knowledge.

See you, and have nice holidays.

Comment

This looks really awesome!

As for the marketplace, yea.. its fairly slow, but without awesome content like this, or creators who care.. it would be a boring place

Comment

It's amazing! I really didn't know that this can be achieved with shaders

TacticalLegends.com - Twitter - YouTube channel
                        PLAY FREE NOW!

Comment

soooo,nice

Comment

Any chance on an update for this? Or can anyone tell me how I can achieve a similar effect if Maternal is no longer working on it? This is beautiful

Visit my portfolio: jhgrace.com

Comment

I am sort of Working on it. I have to migrate it to newer Unreal Versions Tough. Also i have learned alot since then. This is what i have now :
                              https://youtu.be/-Di0DVqJ9HA

Name:	13268599_1083326945074566_60258056460399281_o.jpg
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	1106961
                              Last edited by Glutamatkrieger; 05-25-2016, 12:44 PM.

Comment

This is amazing. Are you planing to share/sell this? I would love to get my hands on it

Comment

Working...
                                X