[WIP] Sandbeach Ocean / Terrain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DevilsD View Post
    Only thing i would pick on is that the waves seem to retreat somewhat to fast. If your going for realism, waves on a beach are a little slower to pull back.
    Yea, ive noticed, especially that effect increacing when i use tesselation, dunno why. Anyway im going to change wave motion a bit, when wave getting closer to the groundline it will break and flatten (thats what im working on atm but not happy with the result yet), i think it will also fix retreating speed automaticly.

Comment

Hi again. Still finding this hypnotic and exciting. The only negative is the abrupt reversing of the foams direction when it has climbed the beach.

What does the bulk of your ocean look like, further out to sea? Do you have waves etc? Maybe a quick video if you time?

Still deeply impressed. Paid or free I don't mind. Please just don't let this stagnate!

Slinky

Comment

Hmm, i think i just fixed wave reverse speed and smoothed the moment when wave stops moving forward and begins to move backwards. A bit late here and im too tired to record video right now. Still need to update opacity, normals and especially foam to match the new wave movement (atm foam just controlled by the depth mask and i dont like the result).

p.s. - and im really need to do something about video quality, it seems ok before i upload it to youtube. Any advice?

Comment

Originally posted by fewks View Post
          p.s. - and im really need to do something about video quality, it seems ok before i upload it to youtube. Any advice?
          I record with Nvidia Shadowplay at max recordable settings. Most of my videos come out pretty decent. What are you using to capture footage?

You could even try using the Engine to capture footage.
          Im an Moderator on UnrealSlackers Discord! Which is a Community driven group of likeminded people here to discuss UE4! Join UnrealSlackers on Discord!

Comment

Do you plan to put this on Marketplace? Also just wondering how performance intensive it is?

Comment

Originally posted by DevilsD View Post
              I record with Nvidia Shadowplay at max recordable settings. Most of my videos come out pretty decent. What are you using to capture footage?
              Sad, but looks like i need newer graphics card to use NVShadowplay or AMD GVR (Radeon 5870 here). I used fraps for those captures.

Originally posted by janpec View Post
              Do you plan to put this on Marketplace? Also just wondering how performance intensive it is?
              Like i said i will release it anyway, even if it unfinished. It runs smooth on my old pc, tbh there are not many things to overload it, just a couple of textures mixed up together

Comment

Great looking forward to buy it. What do you think about using it for rivers aswell? Technically rivers generate same effect as ocean, but its less exagurated, so maybe alpha masking foam texture of should make it look right.

Comment

Originally posted by janpec View Post
                  Great looking forward to buy it. What do you think about using it for rivers aswell? Technically rivers generate same effect as ocean, but its less exagurated, so maybe alpha masking foam texture of should make it look right.
                  Thanks. I think its possible, just need to change some of the settings like color, roughness, weave scale and height etc., i have all thos parameters avalible in material instance.

Update. Tried to make it better quality this time.

Fixing wave movement: changed overall wave shape and water reverse speed is slowed down (still need to work on that), but from what ive learned, the key - is the wave shape, need to smooth it even more for better transition between forward and backward movement. Lack of polygons on the water mesh makes it wiggle a bit at the edge(you can see it on video), so dont pay too much attention to that There are some changes in foam map aswell (added thin foam line at the water edge, changed the directions and some other things).

Comment

Really nice work. I love that wetness each wave leaves on the sand
                    Any plans on releasing it anywhere?
                    Artstation
                    Join the support channel
                    Gumroad Store

Comment

Most realistic waves I've seen so far. Great work!

Comment

wow! very amazing waves! great job!

Comment

looking amazing.. id be very interested in trying this out.

Comment

definitely intersting ! keep it up. ther surely is a market for this !
                            www.ofpawnsandkings.de

Comment

Very nice! Great to see yet another project with a lot of attention to little details in a push for more realism.
                              flickr | twitter

Comment

Get in talks with DotCam (moderator) and TK-Master (Victory Plugin contributor) regarding the community ocean project. We could definitly use this.
                                Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

Working...
                                X