Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic [ASSETS] Distance Field Touch Bend

Distance Field Touch Bend

So for a project I'm working on for myself I wanted to try and get the vegetation touch bending effect that the CryENGINE has. Started working on it the other night after seeing this thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...Field-Flow-Map After putting a few hours into the material, this is the result:

And the material itself:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DFMat.png
Views:	1
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	1155625

• replied
    Just a note for anyone finding this right now, this hasn't worked in a while since Epic gave the landscape distance field information after I made this. That's why the grass repulses, and I don't know that there's a way to fix it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by hippowombat View Post

I've been trying to work out how to add the deformation w/o taking it away again, real head-scratcher. Thank you very much for sharing this, seriously!
    Hey,

I'm really interested in that.

Can you please explain how you added the deformation permanently?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Okay, I resolved it. I was thinking, I only want the offset to be in the X and the Y, not the Z. I added a compMask after the clamp and was able to fix it! <3

**EDIT** Thought I had it fixed, only sorta. I added a sphere like hippowombat said he did, but it makes my player have odd shadowing on it (cause it has to cast the shadows to the AO stuff to make this effect work) Any thoughts around this?
    Last edited by riuthamus; 12-09-2017, 04:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I figured out that if I got rid of the offset thing the grass now touches the ground again. However still cant get it to show any grass being moved. I did what hippowombat did and got nothing from that. Any help would be appreciated.

**EDIT** I added the offset back and it works. HOWEVER, now I have hovering grass....
    Last edited by riuthamus; 12-09-2017, 03:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I did everything you guys did, applied it to my grass model, and all i get is my character zipping through the world....like doing some seriously odd ****. And now my grass hovers over the ground as well.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Wrekk View Post
    How would I make it not move it's z? Right now, if I place the grass on a static mesh (that has distance field), the foliage just gets pushed upwards.
    Use a make float3, but only plug in to the x and y inputs.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    How would I make it not move it's z? Right now, if I place the grass on a static mesh (that has distance field), the foliage just gets pushed upwards.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    can u make the bend permanently ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by hippowombat View Post
    Make sure you have distance field AO enabled, following the instructions below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67778[/ATTACH]
    Thank you hippowombat!!! Now i have the Effect!!
    Kind regards,
    halobungie

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Daniel.Wenograd View Post
    If I remember right, it was something along the lines of adding the deformation to the mesh without actually subtracting it again when the object left its range. The final effect was, effectively, the distance field vertex painting the mesh. Really wishing I made a backup of that manually, couldn't find it in any of the autosaves/backups for the project.
    I've been trying to work out how to add the deformation w/o taking it away again, real head-scratcher. Thank you very much for sharing this, seriously!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TK-Master View Post
    Very interesting

How would the staying down part work in theory? I mean when the object moves then the distance field approximation is not there anymore .
    If I remember right, it was something along the lines of adding the deformation to the mesh without actually subtracting it again when the object left its range. The final effect was, effectively, the distance field vertex painting the mesh. Really wishing I made a backup of that manually, couldn't find it in any of the autosaves/backups for the project.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is outstanding. I really love to see all these small details get involved in games, really adds to the immersion.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by halobungie View Post
    Hello n00854180t,
    i get no such Effect - I have change the Strenght to 6000 but there is no such Effect. Have i to do something else to get this Effect?
    Kind regards,
    halobungie
    Make sure you have distance field AO enabled, following the instructions below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	1
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	1094042

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Works fantastically! I had to place a transparent mesh attached to my character mesh since it isn't large enough to make a noticeable movement, but everything else has worked out perfectly! Thank you so much for sharing!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X