Toon shading model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vapes View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the info. Just spent a while with it tonight and got some pretty cool effects going. Combined the shader w/ some toon style outlines/strokes. I used wind waker Link as a starting point, but then started to apply some of the styles we're looking at using. Overall it worked very well.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]57691[/ATTACH]
    The outlines are are darker versions of the colors of the actual model. There's a little bit of funkiness we'll aim to work out, but it's looking pretty nice. One thing I came across is that the shading tends to look better if the model is set to not cast shadows. Or at least to 'Cast self shadows only'. The self shadows only is what I have on in this shot, but you can see where the head makes a shadow on the arm, and the hair on the face that it's diffused. If I turn off shadows it looks more like your shots, but then I have no shadow on the ground. Any ideas there?

(Also I toss a +1 at your PR, if there's anything else that can be done to promote the branch let me know, I'd love to see it merged.)
    Lights have a shadow filter sharpen option. Raising this should give you shadows that look a lot better when used with toon shading.

I plan to make a content examples style scene to explain these kinds of tricks, but I got a big new rush assignment at work today, so I'm not making the mistake again of making promises when that will be done...

Comment

Pure gold Arnage, thanks. Sharpened the directional light and bam.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	windwaker-sharp.png
Views:	1
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	1087839

Comment

The github link isn't working for me, but im very interested in trying it out.

Comment

Is this still available? Working on a project that could really use this, gotta keep tight lips for now but could explain in PM.

Comment

The github link still works. If you're getting a 404 page it's because that's what Github shows when you don't have access to the private repository you're trying to view. (EpicGames/UnrealEngine). That results from either a) not being logged in, or b) not associating your github account with your unreal account yet.

Also the link, links to a PR, which you can look at if you want to modify your code to match, but I just went to Arnage's repo and cloned it @ https://github.com/ArneBezuijen/Unre...ne/tree/master (you'll still hit 404 on this for all the same reasons as Unreal, but resolve it in the same manner).

Comment

Ok, thanks

Comment

-Removed
                I found the problem. I was using the release branch instead of the master branch.
                Instead of doing it all again manually I'll just download Arnage's Repo like Vapes did:P
                Last edited by Headstub; 09-20-2015, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Nice work mate! looking good.
                  Game Developer @ LODZERO - My Twitter | tomlooman.com UE4 samples & tutorials | C++ Survival Game (Open-Source)

Comment

I don't know what's wrong, but I have problems achieving the same hard shadows on the model as Vapos. The Toon Roughness seems to controll the steps and Toon Steps seems to do nothing. I have the newest version of the forked repo with the "Minor fixes" commit. I've also set the Shadow Filter Sharpen to 5.0.

Here's some screenshots with different parameters:

Here's my material setup:

Is the problem caused by my material or is it something else causing this?

Comment

Originally posted by Headstub View Post
                      Is the problem caused by my material or is it something else causing this?
                      It was caused by me, I'm sorry about that. If you get the latest version from github it's fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnage View Post
                        It was caused by me, I'm sorry about that. If you get the latest version from github it's fixed.
                        Alright, no problem

Comment

I was about to ask about the same issue. Thanks for getting a fix out so quick!

Comment

It works great now Arnage. Thank you so much!! This is awesome

Comment

All is working like a dream with the shader model itself now, however I'm now getting a "swarm failed to kick off" error whenever I try rebuilding the lighting. So far none of the typical fixes (antivirus check, deleting appdata swarm cache etc) have worked.

With the previous version of the shader model, I was having a similar issue that simply read "Error, failed to connect to swarm" I managed to get around it by running a third person template on a different version of the engine in the background, and then rebuilding the lighting on my actual project. This doesn't seem to work now though.

I'm going to keep trying to figure out where I've gone wrong, any suggestions?
                              Last edited by Kealani; 09-21-2015, 01:56 PM.

Comment

I'll have to play with it tonight with the fixes. I noticed the same issues but was able to get what I needed, maybe it'll be even better now

Comment

Working...
                                X