Toon shading model

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HeadClot View Post
    Just thought I would give this a bump and say this looks awesome.

Has the PR been sent in yet?
    I guess I shouldn't make promises as I haven't had the chance to finish it yet. Sorry about that, I'll try to get around to it soon and will post here when I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnage View Post
      I guess I shouldn't make promises as I haven't had the chance to finish it yet. Sorry about that, I'll try to get around to it soon and will post here when I do.
      Hey No problem,

Get around to it when you can

- HeadClot

Comment

What version are you currently updating it for? 4.8 or 4.9?

Just curious as to whether I should stick with 4.8 atm.

Comment

Originally posted by Piers909 View Post
          What version are you currently updating it for? 4.8 or 4.9?

Just curious as to whether I should stick with 4.8 atm.
          I'm currently working of the master branch, so 4.10. That way it should be easy for epic to integrate it if they choose to.

I'm slowly getting there though, it currently works fine again, it just needs some final adjustments.

Comment

I'm currently working of the master branch, so 4.10. That way it should be easy for epic to integrate it if they choose to.

I'm slowly getting there though, it currently works fine again, it just needs some final adjustments.
            Let us know when you make the Pull request

Comment

This is amazing I hope it's added sooner or later. I've tried for days to get clipped hard shadows in a cel shaded look with no luck. Not having a lighitng buffer to read from is really hard... lol.
              MERCURIAL FORGE
              Artist and Programmer
              Wiki Articles - Twitter - Youtube

Comment

Hello there! Super excited about your shader work! Is there any progress on getting it integrated? Are you selling the code or giving it away? I would love to get my hands on it
                Check out our game Arcus!

Comment

Originally posted by cridia View Post
                  What I am curious about is the versatility of this shading model. I mean, sure, you called it a toon shading model, so I reckon it is pretty clear what it does at its base, but what if you try to get creative with it? Is it possible to expose various variables you are using to create your own derivatives? Like for instance, in the stepped lighting, would I be able to influence the individual steps, like turning it into a rainbow or something? One of the things I miss in the UE4 engine (and yes, I know why it is missing) is the custom lighting model thing. While possibly not a perfect copy of the possibilities, I reckon that this toon shader could be a step in the very right direction to get to a "custom lighting model" for UE4.
                  I would like to know this, too. different colors for the steps would be really cool. also, could i use a normal map with the toon shading? or would i have to blend it with the regular shading?

Comment

Any updates Arnage?

Even an early release would be great!

Comment

Finally got around to finishing this up. Did a final update from Epic's master and boom: they also added a new shading model (for hair) which resulted in a whole lot of conflicts in the code, great

Anyway, I think I fixed all of them and am recompiling now. If all is well I'll make the pull request and post the link here soon. Just promise that that you guys make awesome things with it!

Comment

Finally got around to finishing this up. Did a final update from Epic's master and boom: they also added a new shading model (for hair) which resulted in a whole lot of conflicts in the code, great

Anyway, I think I fixed all of them and am recompiling now. If all is well I'll make the pull request and post the link here soon. Just promise that that you guys make awesome things with it!
                        That sounds great! I love you Arnage

Comment

This is great news arnage! Thank you

I've been keeping an eye on your thread since your shading model would solve many issues I've been having making this type of effect through post-process in the last month.. like being stuck with affecting the scene globally and not being able to have control over specific objects much(I'm already using too much custom depth).

I can't wait to play around with it.

[EDIT]

Really glad you made this(would've bought if you were able to sell it, will gladly give attribution if ever release anything). I'll finally be able to focus more on modeling and particles. These last months have been an arduous journey of just trying to get a specific visual style that is actually usable..
                          Last edited by SememeS; 09-13-2015, 05:53 PM. Reason: extra
                          Steve S.

Comment

It's submitted, please try it out and post pretty pictures and/or feedback. You can find the Pull Request here:

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/pull/1552
                            Make sure you are logged into github with the account linked to your unreal engine account or you will get a 404 error!

Note: to allow for various half toony styles, materials with this shading model will default to having regular indirect lighting and reflections. To create a completely flat material, make the material AO black and add your flat shadow color to the emissive channel.

Note number two: For some reason material AO does not block screen space reflections. As a result you might get inappropriate reflections when using the previous technique. Simply raise the base roughness to get rid of them or turn off SSR altogether if you don't need it anyway. I did not change this behaviour as all shading models handle SSR this way. If anyone from Epic reads this: I'd like to know why you chose this over blocking SSR with material AO, which seems more logical to me.
                            Last edited by Arnage; 09-19-2015, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Awesome! Will do.

Hehe doubt I'll sleep much tonight ;P
                              Steve S.

Comment

This shader is amazing. Thank you so much.

Comment

Working...
                                X