No announcement yet.

Toon shading model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi sir total noob here. I tried building the 4.16-release-toon in vs 2017 but it has problems with the Oculus Plugin. What should I do
    Last edited by Baloo07; 08-02-2017, 11:20 PM. Reason: Mistakes

Comment

Now that 4.17 is already available, are there plans to make a port of this in a plugin?

Comment

Hey Nate, Since UE4 now has plugin support for shaders, is there any chance that you could possibly convert the toon shader to be a UE4 plugin, considering as it will probably work with Binary builds from the Epic Games Launcher, and shouldn't require an entire fork of UE4 on Github to use?

Comment

For those hoping for a 4.17 plugin: don't hold your breath. I looked into it, but it seems impossible for a plugin-based shader to interact with the material editor. This is fine for a post process shader such as the one they use as an example of the feature, but makes implementing new shading models as a plugin still impossible.

At least that is what I gathered from my investigation into 4.17, so maybe someone can prove me wrong.

Comment

Guess we're gonna have to keep building from source, then.

Comment

That's a bit disappointing, but not the end of the world i guess. There's still people who know what they are doing making new versions of the shading model for the latest engine versions, and hell: there's still a small chance of Epic incorporating it in to the official build! (maybe?)

But I'm having an issue at the moment on the 4.16 version. The direct lighting looks fine, the highlights look fine, but you can clearly see that the indirect lighting is still shaded smoothly:

I've tried setting the ambient occlusion to 0 as Arnage suggested here, but that just makes everything look like this:

So is the toon shading model just not doing enough to make all the lighting 'toon'?
              Last edited by Construc_; 08-13-2017, 07:12 AM.

Visit my portfolio: jhgrace.com

Comment

Originally posted by Construc_ View Post
                But I'm having an issue at the moment on the 4.16 version. The direct lighting looks fine, the highlights look fine, but you can clearly see that the indirect lighting is still shaded smoothly:

I've tried setting the ambient occlusion to 0 as Arnage suggested here, but that just makes everything look like this:

So is the toon shading model just not doing enough to make all the lighting 'toon'?
                As stated in that reply you quoted you have to add your own indirect lighting if you want something flat. Setting the AO to 0 simply removes Unreal's smooth indirect lighting. There is no concept of a classic flat ambient light in Unreal so the easiest way to add flat lighting is to add it to your emissive slot.

Comment

Thanks for this awesome shader, was trying forever to build my own but kept running into problems.

One question; is there any way to flatten the outer, soft part of a point light? This can be seen best on a material with a Toon Step Size of 1:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SoftLighting.png
Views:	1
Size:	909.2 KB
ID:	1132638

Comment

This is exactly what I need. Thanks for providing the PR to compare changes!

Comment

Originally posted by Jakus21 View Post
                      One question; is there any way to flatten the outer, soft part of a point light? This can be seen best on a material with a Toon Step Size of 1:
                      To achieve that you would have to edit the falloff of the lights themselves, that is not defined by the material on the surface or its shading model.

Comment

I'm not a programmer, so a totally noob in these parts. But I'm using blueprint for my game and I need these. Can anyone please tell me step-by-step how to achieve this in latest Unreal Engine 4.17

Comment

After a ton of trial and error I finally managed to get the source built and everything running but now every time I try to edit a material Unreal Engine is crashing and giving me this error:

Assertion failed: IsInGameThread()
                          File: [C:\ UnrealEngine-4.16-toon\Engine\Source\Runtime\ShaderCore\Private\Shader.cpp][Line: 551]

Has anyone run into this before and any suggestions on how I would go about fixing this?

Comment

Any chance getting an update for 4.17.1 ?

Cheers <3

Comment

I took a look at this last night and merged the changes into 4.17.1 release. Hopefully all good here.

https://github.com/JSEM100/UnrealEng...1-release-toon

Oh hey look at that I didn't notice Nate had added an updated branch here for 4.17: https://github.com/marynate/UnrealEn...7-release-toon

Oops.
                              Last edited by MountainCow; 09-04-2017, 02:10 PM.

Comment

MountainCow, I was finally able to get your 4.17.1 to build (Artist brain here so this was a big deal! Much googling was involved). After getting it up and running, the "Shading Model" drop down in the material editor isn't showing the toon option. I have an earlier 4.14 version that a friend built for me before, so I'm pretty sure I'm looking in the right spot, any thoughts? Should I just go with the 4.17 version?

Thanks for putting it up regardless! Gotta keep this thing alive, it's such an awesome option to have... wish there was more I could do to help. Too bad Epic won't just support it.
                                https://www.artstation.com/kevindalziel

Comment

Working...
                                X