No announcement yet.

Toon shading model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I am curious about is the versatility of this shading model. I mean, sure, you called it a toon shading model, so I reckon it is pretty clear what it does at its base, but what if you try to get creative with it? Is it possible to expose various variables you are using to create your own derivatives? Like for instance, in the stepped lighting, would I be able to influence the individual steps, like turning it into a rainbow or something? One of the things I miss in the UE4 engine (and yes, I know why it is missing) is the custom lighting model thing. While possibly not a perfect copy of the possibilities, I reckon that this toon shader could be a step in the very right direction to get to a "custom lighting model" for UE4.

Comment

This is excellent Arnage!

Tommy.

Comment

Aw man, so awesome. I'd love to see this integrated into the engine! What are your plans with it?
        Broad Strokes | Jan Kaluza | Marketplace Release: 'Over 9000 Swords' Modular Melee Weapon System
        Currently not available for freelance work
        Dev Blog & Tutorials | Twitter

Comment

The second you release this, I will buy it.

Comment

This is great! I'd love to get my hands on it!
            I know that Epic's main focus is towards realism and PBR but I hope they're flexible enough to allow you to have your toon shader in their code, should you decide to donate it to Epic.

Comment

When we see this integrated into EU4?

Comment

Really awesome!
                Website [ LINK ]
                Twitter [ LINK ]
                Support ! [ LINK ]

Comment

Would it be possible for someone to provide an example of this type of shading done with the "Remapped Shading Model" that DanielW talked about?

Comment

I want this. (<- This was in all caps, But the auto-uncapper calmed me down)
                    KITATUS
                    "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Comment

As you may have noticed from my lack of updates recently I've been really busy lately. Since a lot of you seem to be interested I've decided I'll simply release the source and send a pull request to Epic in case they want to integrate it. It needs a little work to get it cleaned up and working with the latest version of UE4 though. (turns out the shading model stuff has had a refactor recently)

I hope to have the time to finish that this weekend.

Originally posted by Headstub View Post
                      Would it be possible for someone to provide an example of this type of shading done with the "Remapped Shading Model" that DanielW talked about?
                      This would be quite easy if it existed, the problem is that he was talking about a hypothetical shading model that does not yet exist in the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnage View Post
                        Since a lot of you seem to be interested I've decided I'll simply release the source and send a pull request to Epic in case they want to integrate it.

Wow, thank you so much for this. I think I speak for everyone when I say that this will be very appreciated!

This would be quite easy if it existed, the problem is that he was talking about a hypothetical shading model that does not yet exist in the engine.
                        Alright, would that be easier to intigrate into the engine than the current shading method you're using?

Comment

Yeah, thank you so much Arnage! Giving this out for free... just awesome!

Comment

As you may have noticed from my lack of updates recently I've been really busy lately. Since a lot of you seem to be interested I've decided I'll simply release the source and send a pull request to Epic in case they want to integrate it. It needs a little work to get it cleaned up and working with the latest version of UE4 though. (turns out the shading model stuff has had a refactor recently)

Anxiously waiting! Thanks!

Comment

Just thought I would give this a bump and say this looks awesome.

Has the PR been sent in yet?

Comment

Also waiting!

Looks great and would pay money for!

Comment

Working...
                                X