Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SterlingY View Post
    I can't wait to see with WIP videos.

Is the outline post-process something else that has to be compiled and was it hard to use/setup?
    Its not hard at all . Its just a post process material which you just drag drop . But you have to correct the errors in the material by choosing "AnimeShaderSettings" for multiple nodes . Here is the direct link

https://forums.unrealengine.com/atta...8&d=1445222643

The link to the original thread regarding the outline postprocess

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post402494

Comment

Originally posted by codehawk64 View Post
      Its not hard at all . Its just a post process material which you just drag drop . But you have to correct the errors in the material by choosing "AnimeShaderSettings" for multiple nodes
      Thanks. I'll try it out.
      Run with the flock, end up a lamb chop!

Unreal 4 in 30 Days - An Unreal Experience: https://youtu.be/DV5l7d4b9Cs

Comment

For those interested in digging deeper into convincing 2D from 3D, here's a great talk from a guilty gear dev on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGjCzxJV3E
        Trevor Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperloop View Post
          For those interested in digging deeper into convincing 2D from 3D, here's a great talk from a guilty gear dev on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGjCzxJV3E
          Thanks for the link . Was able to learn some interesting points . It turns out the guilty gear pipeline is something extremely hard to pull off . Shader alone is not enough .

Comment

That GG GDC Video... how could I forget that? I already now it since it came out, but I totally forget it... or better, I recognized that I know such a video, but I forget the name of the game (never watched the GG Anime, but I know it was a popular one). ^^

It's simply one of the best 3D 2D Anime Art, no Question, and it seams it would be a good standard.

I think the best would be a new thread about analysing and recreate this technique with UE4 as best as possible, when this nobody have done before. GG itself was made with an older UE version (or only the PC version that is out since 3 weeks? It shows a red UE logo without a number).

Comment

Shader wise the diferences are that guilty gear includes a way to offset the treshold of the lightning and to decide unshaded color of each material , since the shading model already reuses inputs the offset could be coupled with ambient oclusion , and the unshaded color tint with subsurface color.

In regards to balmungs question , the original gg uses ue3 , and recently this thread has been focusing on people trying to imitate the game

http://polycount.com/discussion/1211...ks-like-2d-wow
              Last edited by diegor; 01-12-2016, 11:18 PM.

Comment

UE4 or UE3 does not matter, this is shader technique, this can be applied to both and practically to any 3D engine that use shaders (atleast SM3.0?)
                =========
                My Tutorials:
                Basic knowledge about Classes and UObject environment and stuff like that

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowriver View Post
                  UE4 or UE3 does not matter, this is shader technique, this can be applied to both and practically to any 3D engine that use shaders (atleast SM3.0?)
                  By the way, I've been asking around about how to write shaders for UE4 ever since the engine was first publicly released, and never got any answer. I wish there was just ONE clear, simple "Hello World" example of it somewhere. Does anyone know anything about that? There are things you simply can't do with the node editor and [to my knowledge] proper toon shading is one of them
                  Last edited by Philippe St-Amand; 01-13-2016, 12:22 PM.

Comment

oh , i forgot to ask , does anybody has any idea how GG managed to use vertex color , but with textures for color lookup? (did they some uv unvraping trick)?

I think it could be useful for some sort of pseudo parametrized colors.

Comment

This looks amazing, good work! I need to spend some time really looking this over. UE4 needs a good toon shader, hopefully this sets the bar for what gets integrated into Unreal.

Comment

Originally posted by diegor View Post
                        oh , i forgot to ask , does anybody has any idea how GG managed to use vertex color , but with textures for color lookup? (did they some uv unvraping trick)?

I think it could be useful for some sort of pseudo parametrized colors.
                        Basically the way the UV maps worked was, the color changes were arranged in boxes, and any place that needed an inner line was outlined in black, aligned along the x or y axis. The UVs were split along the areas where there were color changes or where there were inner lines (imagine if you drew a line around your bicep. Verts above that would be in one box, verts below in another). I think the textures were basically just a glorified lookup table, with a little bit of logic like a line threshold when a vert was below a line or somesuch. I found a Japanese article a ways back with tons of screenshots: http://www.4gamer.net/games/216/G021...t.html?num=107 if you look at that one and the others of Sol, you can get a good idea of how they did it, and a bunch of other stuff.

Comment

So happy with that you can share your toon shading engine and Can i use this engine to make my game project?

Comment

Originally posted by 小又 View Post
                            So happy with that you can share your toon shading engine and Can i use this engine to make my game project?
                            He's already shared it on github here. You need a github account that is linked to your unreal account to view it. And you also need to know how to modify and build the source code of unreal. Once you can do all that you are good to go

Comment

Quick Question, to use this Branch, do I need to have compiled vanilla UE4? Or is this a complete fork?

Comment

This is a beautiful shader, thanks so much!

Originally posted by NorseHorse1492 View Post
                                Quick Question, to use this Branch, do I need to have compiled vanilla UE4? Or is this a complete fork?
                                It's a complete fork, but the directions from Unreal's wiki about how to set up their source and stuff still apply.

Comment

Working...
                                X