No announcement yet.

Toon shading model

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, just saw the livestream. The vid was published on youtube today.

here's the link at time they talk about it

It was part of the community spotlights

Hmm, I'm confused by the way they presented this.. they talked about it as a plugin, not as a pull request.

EDIT[ It's getting some extra attention though so that's cool , congrats Arnage hope this will help get your hard work in]
    Last edited by SememeS; 11-13-2015, 01:54 PM.
    Steve S.

Comment

Originally posted by alwei View Post
      I got the outline shader in the link of the following thread.
      https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post402494

I was actually able to achieve this result in only these toon shaders and outline shader.
      By another in the post process effect, we have adjusted a lot in color grading.
      Is this the link you were talking about? http://ogimafu.blogspot.com/2015/04/ue4.html
      Did you use just one method, or all of them combined?

Edit: never mind, i see it. All of them need to be used together to get the full effect.
      I'm not sure how the materials functions he made are supposed to be used in the final material though.
      Last edited by _cDub; 11-13-2015, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnage View Post
        It's submitted, please try it out and post pretty pictures and/or feedback. You can find the Pull Request here:

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/pull/1552
        Make sure you are logged into github with the account linked to your unreal engine account or you will get a 404 error!

Note: to allow for various half toony styles, materials with this shading model will default to having regular indirect lighting and reflections. To create a completely flat material, make the material AO black and add your flat shadow color to the emissive channel.

Note number two: For some reason material AO does not block screen space reflections. As a result you might get inappropriate reflections when using the previous technique. Simply raise the base roughness to get rid of them or turn off SSR altogether if you don't need it anyway. I did not change this behaviour as all shading models handle SSR this way. If anyone from Epic reads this: I'd like to know why you chose this over blocking SSR with material AO, which seems more logical to me.

-I AM logged onto the Github account and I still get an error. Is this outdated? BTW your toon shader is the coolest thing I´ve ever seen!! Seriously!

Comment

Originally posted by SememeS View Post
          Ok, just saw the livestream. The vid was published on youtube today.

here's the link at time they talk about it

It was part of the community spotlights

Hmm, I'm confused by the way they presented this.. they talked about it as a plugin, not as a pull request.

EDIT[ It's getting some extra attention though so that's cool , congrats Arnage hope this will help get your hard work in]
          They didn't seem to understand it indeed. Though hopefully someone who can decide on including it finally notices it and can give some feedback whether they are considering it or not.

Originally posted by sirdavid32 View Post
          -I AM logged onto the Github account and I still get an error. Is this outdated? BTW your toon shader is the coolest thing I´ve ever seen!! Seriously!
          That link is still the way to go. Are you able to download the regular UE4 source? If not then you might want to check if your accounts are properly linked. As Dakraid said it is against the UE4 license to post the source code on another host, so you'll have to try to get your github account to work.

Comment

We decided to go with your shader for our game! Here is our character:

Click image for larger version

Name:	character.png
Views:	1
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	1093407

Thank you so much!!
            Check out our game Arcus!

Comment

This is really incredible Any chance this'll ever be included in UE4 by default?

Comment

Awesome, just awesome. I finally got around using the toon shader a little and it works like a charm. I have to admit that the three settings don't seem obvious at first, but once I found your descriptions in this thread, it all made sense and I was able to use it extremely quickly. I am completely gonna love this shading model.

I only have one question. Is there a way to control the shape of the steps? Right now there's a blend for the smoothness of the lines, but I was wondering whether it was possible to have, say, the line depend on a texture (so you can get jaggy lines for instance). Even just a way to get that stepsize data to manipulate would be awesome. Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by cridia View Post
                  Awesome, just awesome. I finally got around using the toon shader a little and it works like a charm. I have to admit that the three settings don't seem obvious at first, but once I found your descriptions in this thread, it all made sense and I was able to use it extremely quickly. I am completely gonna love this shading model.

I only have one question. Is there a way to control the shape of the steps? Right now there's a blend for the smoothness of the lines, but I was wondering whether it was possible to have, say, the line depend on a texture (so you can get jaggy lines for instance). Even just a way to get that stepsize data to manipulate would be awesome. Just curious.
                  I think that adding support for tooncurves like the picture below would be great aswell.

Click image for larger version

Name:	f_vita_mik618_tooncurve_hair03.png
Views:	1
Size:	685 Bytes
ID:	1093628

Comment

Originally posted by cridia View Post
                    ...I only have one question. Is there a way to control the shape of the steps? Right now there's a blend for the smoothness of the lines, but I was wondering whether it was possible to have, say, the line depend on a texture (so you can get jaggy lines for instance). Even just a way to get that stepsize data to manipulate would be awesome. Just curious.
                    you can apply a normal map to perturb the normals

Comment

Is there any hope there could be plugin support for material shaders and compute shaders in the future, with a nice simple "create new shader" wizard and all that?

Your toon shader looks so amazing and UE4's lack of proper custom shader support is so frustrating. Aahhh!

I'd actually rather have this as a plugin than integrated into the engine, because the biggest problem here is that UE4 doesn't let us simply create a new material shader or a new compute shader to suit our needs (It doesn't make it easy, at least). This feels so extremely limiting that I'd rather stick with Unity until this essential feature is fixed. Having the toon shader only solves the problem for that specific use case, but not for other use cases of wanting to write your own shaders.
                      Last edited by Philippe St-Amand; 11-21-2015, 01:46 AM.

Comment

He already mentioned that due to him having to change bits in the source code to have this shading model work, it was next to impossible to turn it into a plugin. I reckon that up to create this into something like the custom light feature of UE3, he will probably have to create it from scratch.

Comment

Is it possible to get this integrated into another project? I currently have a project that I'd like to test it out and getting this working with.

Comment

If we all want to help this PR get integrated, please go leave a comment in the PR comment thread(it's Arnage's Pull Request)
                            The more attention it gets in there the more likely we'll get some news on integration.

In the meantime,
                            Nate provided 4.9 and 4.10 back-ports for us to use Arnage's shading model. (not a plugin, requires source build)
                            Nate's post

[EDIT]

Started a Feature Request thread in feedback section for Arnage's Toon Shading Model PR
                            Link to thread
                            Last edited by SememeS; 11-22-2015, 09:58 PM.
                            Steve S.

Comment

Hey guys, I've been following this thread for some time, and I gotta say It's an awesome work, Thanks, Arnage!

So, I am yet to build the engine with it but I've got some questions...

1) Is it possible to compile only Arnage's code and include in my standard 4.10 installed engine, or do I need to compile everything?
                              2) If I manage to make it work, this being free, am I allowed to use it in a game I am willing to sell?

Hoping to see it being picked for integration soon!

Comment

It should be, as long as you have a source with the toon shader in it compiled on your drive (because that's the only requirement; you need to have an UE4 source code compiled somewhere). The only thing you need to do is switch the current engine version of your project with the new one. To do that, just right click the uproject file and switch the engine version to the one with the toon code in it (can be done for both blueprint based as well as C++ based projects). You may need to reboot the launcher (your project will then show up with "Other" instead of the version of the engine you were using previously), but after that just launch your project and have fun with it.

I tested it on both my most recent C++ based project (moved from version 4.9 to 4.10 with toon integrated) as well as an older blueprint based project (from 4.7.6 to 4.10 with toon integrated), and I got the toon shader working in both instances.

Comment

Working...
                                X