No announcement yet.

Toon shading model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone explain how a lighting model is advantageous compared to some of the misc toon color materials I've seen?

Comment

Originally posted by Arnage View Post
      Sure, go ahead!
      Thanks Arnage!

So here you are:

4.9 branch
      https://github.com/marynate/UnrealEngine/tree/4.9-toon

4.10 branch
      https://github.com/marynate/UnrealEngine/tree/4.10-toon

Let me know if I messed up something.
      | twitter | github | #ue4tip

Comment

Originally posted by Oul View Post
        Can someone explain how a lighting model is advantageous compared to some of the misc toon color materials I've seen?
        The other common approach is a post process, the main advantages of a lighting model over that approach are:
        - Multiple lights: a post process does not have access to the light vector, so those tend to blend the lighting together instead of creating proper per light shading.
        - Speed: a post process adds a bit of overhead for every screen pixel on top of the regular shading work.
        - Mobile support: post process materials don't work on mobile.

@alwei: Thanks for posting your work, it's always nice to see people actually using something you made

@Fritsl How did your demo go, btw?

Comment

Originally posted by Nate View Post
          Thanks Arnage!

So here you are:

4.9 branch
          https://github.com/marynate/UnrealEngine/tree/4.9-toon

4.10 branch
          https://github.com/marynate/UnrealEngine/tree/4.10-toon

Let me know if I messed up something.

Thanks Nate!
          I was having various issues in master (that had nothing to do with the shaders) that made me a bit reluctant to work in there and wait for epic to integrate. So this is really great
          Steve S.

Comment

Can we get one last update to the release version of 4.10? It'd be great to have a stable copy of UE4 with this integrated.

Comment

If it's available on GitHub, would it be possible to make it available for free on the marketplace? It seems really nice and making it available on the marketplace will assurance a lot more exposure and ease of access than just through GitHub.

I'm a complete noob at integrating GitHub files into UE4. I can follow the link to GitHub but have no idea what to click on. I downloaded something called "UnrealEngine-4.10-toon but I'm not sure what to do from that point on. Will this erase and replace the UE4 4.10 I downloaded from Epic?

Would this shader allow me to use non-toon materials for some objects in a scene and toon materials for other objects in the same scene? Like, say, a toon gun with an ordinary PBR shader for the character holding the gun?
              Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 11-12-2015, 06:12 AM.

Comment

I'm getting this " Exception in AutomationScripts.Automation: Stage Failed. Missing receipt 'UE4Game-Win64-Development.target.xml' " when I try to launch my test game :\ . Any clue why?

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
                  If it's available on GitHub, would it be possible to make it available for free on the marketplace? It seems really nice and making it available on the marketplace will assurance a lot more exposure and ease of access than just through GitHub.
                  If that was possible I would have submitted it to the marketplace in the first place. However, the marketplace only supports plugins for code changes and due to the way shading models are implemented they can't be turned into plugins. The reason it is on github is to allow Epic to integrate it into the main branch, if they wish to do so, and for adventurous users to be able to try it out and provide feedback. It is not intended to be used in production, as it is not a very ideal workflow, as you have noticed.

I'm a complete noob at integrating GitHub files into UE4. I can follow the link to GitHub but have no idea what to click on. I downloaded something called "UnrealEngine-4.10-toon but I'm not sure what to do from that point on. Will this erase and replace the UE4 4.10 I downloaded from Epic?
                  What you downloaded is only the source code. You'll have to compile before you can do anything with it. You can keep this build separate from your regular build though and don't need to overwrite anything

Would this shader allow me to use non-toon materials for some objects in a scene and toon materials for other objects in the same scene? Like, say, a toon gun with an ordinary PBR shader for the character holding the gun?
                  Yes, you can mix and match them with any other kind of materials.

Comment

Thank you for your answers. I hope Epic takes up your work.

Comment

can you upload this at Mega.co.nz "4.10 branch
                      https://github.com/marynate/UnrealEngine/tree/4.10-toon" Thanks because there something wrong from GitHub I can't download this..Thanks

Comment

Hey Arnage, looks like your work was broadcast live, 2 hrs ago, on the Unreal Engine's live twitch stream. Does this mean they are taking this seriously now? Are they planning to fully integrate and support your efforts in the next build?

Comment

Originally posted by Peude View Post
                          https://github.com/marynate/UnrealEngine/tree/4.10-toon" Thanks because there something wrong from GitHub I can't download this..Thanks
                          What are the problems you're getting with GitHub?
                          Maybe someone can help.

Do you have a github account? (*It's free)
                          You'll need to have a github account to access otherwise you'll get a 404 because UE is private.
                          Steve S.

Comment

By the way, what are the reasons why Epic is not adding this to the engine? I would think that a free shading model (that seemingly does great work; sorry, I haven't tested it yet) that is in high demand would be added in a heartbeat.

Still problems with integrating it into the main branch?
                            Last edited by cridia; 11-13-2015, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jcdied4me View Post
                              Hey Arnage, looks like your work was broadcast live, 2 hrs ago, on the Unreal Engine's live twitch stream. Does this mean they are taking this seriously now? Are they planning to fully integrate and support your efforts in the next build?
                              Cool, I wish I had known in advance so I could be in the chat and ask them the same questions you are asking

Comment

Originally posted by Peude View Post
                                That would imply him uploading the source, which is not permitted. I guess you made a mistake somwhere, check if you set up your Github account correctly, connected it to your UnrealEngine Account and then try again.

Comment

Working...
                                X