[WIP] Procedural fractal mesh generation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing thing, for sure.
    I am working on procedural mesh generation for some time now. So far I am trying to use libnoise to produce a landscape that is stored in a mysql table to be loaded as hightmap during runtime. It's a little ineffective, but for a big deal it is about landscape being able to change during the game (eg: Dig into the ground, erosion with time ...). At the same time it's a reason for me to learn my way around unreal engine and c++ programming (I'm pretty familiar with blueprints by now, but c++ is yet another thing). Fractals are something that really could add to the look and feel of a procedurally generated world. That is how I found this threat.
    Some months ago I had a few tries using splines to have trees growing at runtime, but could not find a way to have them grow in a performant way. I see fractals could also be a possibility there.
    I am definately looking forward trying out your code and see where it gets me.
    Seeing it's been a while since the last post in this threat: Any updates on the work with fractals in UE?

Comment

I will be posting most of my updates in the other thread (linked above), where I've released my code on Github.

I'm about to push out an update to my examples that uses Koderz's excellent Runtime Mesh Component that runs a lot faster. I should get that finished around end of this week.

I'm also working on some new examples that uses noise and branching functions to generate a landscape and planning to add that to my example project too.
      Programmer at Klang Games | Ex-CCP (EVE Valkyrie / Sparc) | @SiggiGG
      Check out my procedural mesh examples

Comment

Working...
      X