No announcement yet.

Dungeon Architect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updated the interface of of the dungeon event listener to let you modify the markers right after they are emitted into the scene (but before the theming is applied to it, and before anything is spawned into the scene)

This gives you low level flexibility on the overall dungeon layout. You can use to apply some filter on your dungeon like add curvature on your dungeon, or snap all the dungeon objects on a landscape

Here's an example. I iterate through all the markers in the scene, take their XY and map them in a cylindrical coordinate (you can adjust the radius from the details panel)

Dungeon Architect | Prefabricator

Comment

Wow. Great support. Looking forward to the next update!

Comment

I've added a helper function in the Isaac model to clear styling from certain rooms

Last edited by Ali Akbar; 12-08-2016, 06:55 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

I'm very interested in getting this, but I have a question first

Is there a way to change the theme on a per-room basis (for random generation, so without doing it myself)? Like say I want to make a "prison room" that spawns in prison cells, or a "book room" that spawns bookshelves

After watching your videos I think there are two ways I can do this - a custom market/emitter (with affinity controlling the chance to spawn a room type) and then if it spawns that custom marker, use the custom logic to spawn similar objects in that room. But I'm not sure if this will work how I'm thinking (IE can a custom marker control the entire room?)

Another idea I had was spawning theme volumes that match the room size, and using that to change the walls and appearances and such.

Is there an easy way to do what I'm talking about, controlling specific rooms?

Also, is there a way for the logic to access data about the current room? As in, say I only want to spawn 1 Large Chest in a room. Is there a way to "only spawn this once in this room"?
          Last edited by Pinworm; 12-08-2016, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinworm View Post
            I'm very interested in getting this, but I have a question first

Is there a way to change the theme on a per-room basis (for random generation, so without doing it myself)? Like say I want to make a "prison room" that spawns in prison cells, or a "book room" that spawns bookshelves

After watching your videos I think there are two ways I can do this - a custom market/emitter (with affinity controlling the chance to spawn a room type) and then if it spawns that custom marker, use the custom logic to spawn similar objects in that room. But I'm not sure if this will work how I'm thinking (IE can a custom marker control the entire room?)

Another idea I had was spawning theme volumes that match the room size, and using that to change the walls and appearances and such.

Is there an easy way to do what I'm talking about, controlling specific rooms?

Also, is there a way for the logic to access data about the current room? As in, say I only want to spawn 1 Large Chest in a room. Is there a way to "only spawn this once in this room"?
            [MENTION=9396]Pinworm[/MENTION] Your second approach can work where you wrap theme override volumes around your rooms (e.g. prison theme, garrison theme etc). After the dungeon layout is build, a set of preconfigured theme override volumes (e.g. prison theme volume) are wrapped around the rooms using a blueprint. Here is an example:

This post has more info along with a sample blueprint

You can access the dungeon model from blueprint and get the room information. There is also a query system to help you. If you need help with anything specific, feel free to post here in the forums

Comment

It's good now Ali,

Thank you so much. The plugin is amazing. I would love to implement some of the city builder functionality I see you using in unity. Is that going to be part of the UE4 build?

Comment

Sure, it's a planned feature.

Comment

Ali,
                  giving this a bump. Do you have any suggestions for the questions below?

Originally posted by jwatson_0051 View Post
                  Okay thanks for clearing that up. I have tried the platform volumes to work around this and have had some issues maybe you have some suggestions.

1) My goal is to have full control (nothing procedural) creating rooms and platforms. The best way to do this from what I understand is through the paint tool and platform volumes, correct? On the platform volumes I'm using "room" as the cell type (I've experimented with the others this seems to work best). Corridors are being generated automatically between the platform volumes, how can I keep this from happening so that I can maintain full control?

2) When I do paint a corridor up to a platform volume it does not create a door, am I doing something wrong?

3) I'm also trying to find a way to have a path cross underneath another one, do you have any example of this I could reference?

Comment

Does anyone have an emitter which detects a very long corridor with a lot of space? If not, anybody have ideas on how to accomplish?

Comment

Has anybody figured out what the lines mean in the dungeon debug mode?

Click image for larger version

Name:	dungeondebug 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1119813

Here's a debug ground coloring guide, fwiw.
                      Red - Room
                      Light Blue - Corridor
                      Dark Blue - Corridor Padding

Comment

Originally posted by Ali Akbar View Post
                        [MENTION=9396]Pinworm[/MENTION] Your second approach can work where you wrap theme override volumes around your rooms (e.g. prison theme, garrison theme etc). After the dungeon layout is build, a set of preconfigured theme override volumes (e.g. prison theme volume) are wrapped around the rooms using a blueprint. Here is an example:

This post has more info along with a sample blueprint

You can access the dungeon model from blueprint and get the room information. There is also a query system to help you. If you need help with anything specific, feel free to post here in the forums
                        Just to clarify, can I have the generator do this automatically? As in, generate a theme volume that will encompass a room at run time? I need it to be able to do it without me doing anything manually in the level editor since my levels will be entirely randomly generated

Comment

Originally posted by jwatson_0051 View Post
                          Ali,
                          giving this a bump. Do you have any suggestions for the questions below?
                          [MENTION=553593]jwatson_0051[/MENTION]

1) The paint tool needs more work. I've added this in my todo list and improve it in the coming weeks
                          2) The update on the paint tool should fix this. In the mean time, please use marker replace volumes
                          3) That is not currently possible with the Grid builder

Comment

Originally posted by DrinkThisPotion View Post
                            Does anyone have an emitter which detects a very long corridor with a lot of space? If not, anybody have ideas on how to accomplish?
                            [MENTION=504934]DrinkThisPotion[/MENTION] I'll provide a sample for this soon. I coded a similar demo for unity to isolate corridors connecting between rooms

Comment

Originally posted by Pinworm View Post
                              Just to clarify, can I have the generator do this automatically? As in, generate a theme volume that will encompass a room at run time? I need it to be able to do it without me doing anything manually in the level editor since my levels will be entirely randomly generated
                              [MENTION=9396]Pinworm[/MENTION] It works last time I tested. However a user complained that it doesn't work in standalone build. I'll confirm this tomorrow

Comment

Major updates to the city builder:

I randomly remove certain road edges to create uneven layouts that look a bit more natural

There is also an ability to specify custom block layouts and specify your buildings of that size from the theme file (e.g. I have the warehouse that is 1x2 tiles big, and other buildings that are 2x2 tiles big. there is no restriction on the size)

Art used: Industrial Area Hangar
                                Last edited by Ali Akbar; 12-10-2016, 10:16 AM. Reason: credit

Comment

Working...
                                X