Dungeon Architect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RogueFactor View Post
    Hey Ali, I'm very interested in using Dungeon Architect. I think it falls very well into our workflow. However, I'm a little bit worried about the fact that I get my engine out of the Epic Perforce, and therefore my UE4 versions are a little screwy, and are not even in the Epic Games Launcher.
    All this to say that if I purchase your plugin, I most probably won't be able to run it as is and would need to recompile it on multiple occasions.
    Is providing source code an option for you? That would allow us to recompile everything as needed.
    [MENTION=233387]RogueFactor[/MENTION], the entire source code is available with the plugin and you can modify and recompile it as you wish on any platform. The plugin (including source) will be placed here once installed from the launcher (Epic Games\4.13\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace\DungeonArchitect).

If you plan on purchasing it, then please buy it from the marketplace (and not my website) and drop me an email (ali.akbar@coderespawn.com). Since you have trouble with the launcher, I'll grant you access to my website where you can download it directly
    Dungeon Architect | Prefabricator

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
      Edit: it "magically" appears in the advanced menu, now ... so this is no problem any more - but maybe you have a vage timeframe for the "demo" ...
      I've noticed this too. Seems like a bug in UE4 editor (or I'm doing something wrong). It will show only the recently opened (or loaded) blueprints in the drop down list. I'll investigate this further later

Comment

This is my blueprint for the DungeonEventListener:
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]114859[/ATTACH]

This adds a special theme for the start room in my runtime dungeon.

Quite there ... but there are 2 problems:
        1. changes to the DungeonThemeOverrideVolume (size and scale) are not used for the current runtime dungeon - the volume is changed but the changes apply only when I play the level a second time (I tested this with a static seed number ...)
        So I think that OnDungeonLayoutBuilt is not the right place/time for changing the asset or I need to update the changed DungeonThemeOverrideVolume somehow. (major problem!)

2. how is the value for the volume scale (see image) calculated? I found it by testing different values but I have no idea where to get this value of ~175 at runtime. (minor problem)

Any ideas?

EDIT: Problem 1 occurs only if the dungeon is build at runtime - if I manually change the seed and hit "Build" on the dungeon asset in the editor the blueprint works correctly and the theme for the start room is changed.
        [MENTION=121838]Laurentius[/MENTION] your approach is correct. The ~175 value is the brush setting. If you drop in a new brush, X,Y & Z would be 200.

Edit: Runtime also works, you need to set volume mobility to Movable (instead of static)

Automatic wrapping of Theme Override Volumes around Rooms

Wrap your theme override volumes automatically around certain rooms using a dungeon event listener. The volumes are correctly placed around the rooms right after the layout is generated (but before the theming is applied). The theme engine then picks up the newly placed theme override volume to give the rooms a different look. (blueprint attached)

You need to set your volume's mobility to "Movable" (instead of static) if you want it to work during runtime
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Ali Akbar; 10-24-2016, 07:02 AM. Reason: attachment

Comment

Originally posted by arvinmoses View Post
          Hi guys! started using DA on a small indie project with a few friends. Really impressed by it so far and looking forward to doing more projects with it.

As far as custom selectors - we're really curious about trying to get some more variety on levels..

I haven't messed with blueprint spawners much but somethings we are looking for would be things like:

Corners - convex or concave corners.
          Cells that are not 1x1. So maybe being able to get room center and creating a cell that is a 2x2.
          Also something to mix the snapping system with the grid builder. Not sure how feasible it is - but it would be nice to use the grid system and randomly be able to pull in a level like the snap system as a volume. Not sure if that makes sense.

Oh credit where it's due - project using DA of course, Fantasy Dungeon Kit, Skeleton Character Pack, and Gametextures.com
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]114294[/ATTACH]
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]114295[/ATTACH]
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]114296[/ATTACH]

Sorry no info page yet - just the KS https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...token=6f6eb4c9
          [MENTION=26626]arvinmoses[/MENTION], You game looks awesome!

You can get the room center and emit anything you like from the theme.

To do that, Add the attached blueprint to your dungeon actor's Marker Emitter list. Then create a marker in your theme file named "RoomCenter" and your objects will show up in the center of the room. If you want to preview this in the theme editor, add this in the theme editor's dungeon properties too

For corners you can use Spatial constraints.

You can add variations to various rooms in your levels using dynamically placed theme override volumes (2.2.0+)
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Ali Akbar; 10-24-2016, 06:48 AM. Reason: links

Comment

Originally posted by Ali Akbar View Post
            [MENTION=121838]Laurentius[/MENTION] your approach is correct. The ~175 value is the brush setting. If you drop in a new brush, X,Y & Z would be 200. Also like you said, runtime doesn't work. I think it's because the volume's physics state is not set until next frame (or end of frame) and the theming is applied right after the event. I'll look for a workaround

Ok runtime also works. You need to set your volumes to Movable (instead of static)

Comment

Originally posted by HInoue View Post
              Hey Ali, I know you're juggling hundreds of things at once, but I noticed a simple city generator on the DA roadmap, and I was wondering if you had a rough estimate for when that would be complete? Our team is rapidly approaching a benchmark where we have to decide whether or not we'll have randomized districts within our city, and it'd be super helpful to be able to see whether what you're working on suits our use case
              [MENTION=31806]HInoue[/MENTION], it should be done in a week or two. However, the algorithm is already implemented in 2.2.0 and you can play with it. I haven't tested it fully and would not recommend the current city builder state with production yet. I'll be having more updates soon on it

Comment

Awesome, thank you again for all the work you're putting into this!

Comment

[MENTION=233387]RogueFactor[/MENTION], the entire source code is available with the plugin and you can modify and recompile it as you wish on any platform. The plugin (including source) will be placed here once installed from the launcher (Epic Games\4.13\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace\DungeonArchitect).

If you plan on purchasing it, then please buy it from the marketplace (and not my website) and drop me an email (ali.akbar@coderespawn.com). Since you have trouble with the launcher, I'll grant you access to my website where you can download it directly
                  Awesome! Thank you for your quick reply. I'll look at getting it this week.

Comment

Hey Cedric, I've added support for stairs greater than 2. So it should emit the appropriate markers. It will be available in the next update (2.1.0)

(2.2.0 is still not released yet in the marketplace. I'll follow up with Epic)
                    You're amazing !
                    Thanks
                    Cedric

Comment

[MENTION=121838]Laurentius[/MENTION]
                      You need to set your volume's mobility to "Movable" (instead of static) if you want it to work during runtime
                      Thanks for the demo.
                      The funny thing is that the volume was set to movable in the first place.
                      And now it works and is rethemed correctly - odd.

Anyway this technic is great for theming special rooms - maybe a GetRandomRoom and GetRooms function would be a nice addition to the GridDungeonQuery object.

For my other problem with setting/changing a single wall for the "stairs up/down" asset I will try to use a special wall marker emitter or use a MarkerReplaceVolume.
                      When using a dungeon with a know seed the MarkerReplaceVolume works good - but I need to have the stair at one of two (topdown game) random walls.

Comment

Thanks for the demo.
                        The funny thing is that the volume was set to movable in the first place.
                        And now it works and is rethemed correctly - odd.

Anyway this technic is great for theming special rooms - maybe a GetRandomRoom and GetRooms function would be a nice addition to the GridDungeonQuery object.

For my other problem with setting/changing a single wall for the "stairs up/down" asset I will try to use a special wall marker emitter or use a MarkerReplaceVolume.
                        When using a dungeon with a know seed the MarkerReplaceVolume works good - but I need to have the stair at one of two (topdown game) random walls.
                        Yes, from my testing it seems to work very well! I think it eliminates the problem I was having with the entrance appearing on a different level in some seeds as well.

Only problem for me now is that one of my more complex themes doesn't work in DA 2.2.1 - it causes the editor to crash anytime a change is made and saved.

Any ideas where the crash log might be saved for a DA theme related crash?

Comment

Hi,

We're getting a crash when copy and pasting nodes from one Dungeon Theme to another.

In UEdGraphNode_DungeonMarker::PostEditChangeProperty e.Property can be NULL when copy and pasting.

We changed the if statement to this:

if (e.Property != nullptr && e.Property->GetFName() == "MarkerName") {

Comment

[MENTION=504934]DrinkThisPotion[/MENTION] I'll have a look
                            [MENTION=11051]LuaChunk[/MENTION] Thanks for the fix. I've updated the code

Comment

I'm working on adding actor node customization (so you can customize your blueprint/actor nodes). However, there's an engine limitation. Actors can only be spawned inside an active world, and there is none in the theme graph, so you cannot customize it

Comment

I'm working on adding actor node customization (so you can customize your blueprint/actor nodes). However, there's an engine limitation. Actors can only be spawned inside an active world, and there is none in the theme graph, so you cannot customize it
                                Does that mean setting defaults on actor nodes? I would find that to be useful.

Comment

Working...
                                X