No announcement yet.

Dungeon Architect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Ali, just wanted to let you know DA has finally shown up in my vault. So where ever i was on the list epic is finally getting to that point.

Thanks alot for getting them to make it part of our vaults.

Comment

Hey Ali, I know you're juggling hundreds of things at once, but I noticed a simple city generator on the DA roadmap, and I was wondering if you had a rough estimate for when that would be complete? Our team is rapidly approaching a benchmark where we have to decide whether or not we'll have randomized districts within our city, and it'd be super helpful to be able to see whether what you're working on suits our use case

Comment

Hey Ali, I'm very interested in using Dungeon Architect. I think it falls very well into our workflow. However, I'm a little bit worried about the fact that I get my engine out of the Epic Perforce, and therefore my UE4 versions are a little screwy, and are not even in the Epic Games Launcher.
        All this to say that if I purchase your plugin, I most probably won't be able to run it as is and would need to recompile it on multiple occasions.
        Is providing source code an option for you? That would allow us to recompile everything as needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ali Akbar View Post
          [MENTION=504934]
          After
          Could you please provide a link to these Unity assets ? (I'd like to contact author and see if assets can be used with UE4)

Comment

the links to your guide are broken sir. please fix so I can learn how to use your most amazing system
            Go Rogue or Go Home

Get the Rogue Records America Mobile App
            iPhone – http://goo.gl/Q2YhTS
            Android – http://goo.gl/NB18oV
            Windows Phones – http://goo.gl/dkIEHv

ARK - TERRAPIN: Coming one fine day
            Find Rogue on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/RogueRecordsAmerica/

Comment

Hello Ali,

As you allow a max stair delta greater than 2, are you also natively emitting some stairs that high ?

I did try my luck with a Stair3x marker (hoping for the same logic as your emptyspace emitters) but it didn't work:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DAstair3x.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1117008

So is there an easy way to emit Stair3X, Stair4X etc, or should i (try to^^) make my own emitters ?

Thanks
              Cedric

Comment

Originally posted by Tkat5200 View Post
                the links to your guide are broken sir. please fix so I can learn how to use your most amazing system
                The links should redirect, but here are the latest ones (2.2):

Quick Start Guide
                User Guide
                Quick Start Content Pack

Comment

Originally posted by Ali Akbar View Post
                  [MENTION=121838]Laurentius[/MENTION]
                  3. [MENTION=504934]DrinkThisPotion[/MENTION]'s suggestion would work but it requires some work for properly wrapping theme override volumes around it. You can do that with a dungeon event listener (will work for dynamic runtime dungeons too) where you listen for dungeon layout build event (where the layout is built but the theme is not applied) and place the volume around it. I have a sample for this in Unity. I'll add a demo soon
                  Hi Ali,
                  so I tried to create a dungeon event listener blueprint and attach it to the dungeon actor, but it does'nt show up in the event listeners menu (advanced section).

Is there any sample covering a dungeon event listener currently available or will the quoted "demo" be available in the next few days or so?

Best regards, Lars

Edit: it "magically" appears in the advanced menu, now ... so this is no problem any more - but maybe you have a vage timeframe for the "demo" ...
                  Last edited by Laurentius; 10-22-2016, 07:45 PM.

Comment

I think I'm really close. My dungeon event listener changes the theme (candy V2 in a medieval dungeon ... LOL) inside my runtime dungeon.
                    I get the furthes room cells (Room A is my entrance and room B should be the exit or another place of interest) ... the cell dimentions "out center" of Room A is the place where my dungen theme override volume is.
                    But how do I get the correct scale for the override volume? Is scale Z even possible? (I can use a very huge Z value for now ...). How do I get the rooms X and Y dimensions?

Comment

This is my blueprint for the DungeonEventListener:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	DungeonThemeOverrideVolumeValue.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	1117051

This adds a special theme for the start room in my runtime dungeon.

Quite there ... but there are 2 problems:
                      1. changes to the DungeonThemeOverrideVolume (size and scale) are not used for the current runtime dungeon - the volume is changed but the changes apply only when I play the level a second time (I tested this with a static seed number ...)
                      So I think that OnDungeonLayoutBuilt is not the right place/time for changing the asset or I need to update the changed DungeonThemeOverrideVolume somehow. (major problem!)

2. how is the value for the volume scale (see image) calculated? I found it by testing different values but I have no idea where to get this value of ~175 at runtime. (minor problem)

Any ideas?

EDIT: Problem 1 occurs only if the dungeon is build at runtime - if I manually change the seed and hit "Build" on the dungeon asset in the editor the blueprint works correctly and the theme for the start room is changed.
                      Last edited by Laurentius; 10-23-2016, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
                        I think I'm really close. My dungeon event listener changes the theme (candy V2 in a medieval dungeon ... LOL) inside my runtime dungeon.
                        I get the furthes room cells (Room A is my entrance and room B should be the exit or another place of interest) ... the cell dimentions "out center" of Room A is the place where my dungen theme override volume is.
                        But how do I get the correct scale for the override volume? Is scale Z even possible? (I can use a very huge Z value for now ...). How do I get the rooms X and Y dimensions?
                        I am struggling with the Z value as well. Ali said he'll be providing a demo of how to properly wrap the theme override. I've marked that particular part of my project as blocked (from a planning perspective) until that demo is made. If you figure it out I'd love to hear your method. I had not even used an event listener, but rather just made a platform guaranteed to be a room and made a thin override which makes it so one wall of that room is an empty theme. I then made a static wall with a door which lined up properly with generated dungeons. This works really well except for the Z value of the connected room. Sometimes the room is on Floor 2 of the dungeon and it is no longer aligned with the door I created.

Comment

Originally posted by DrinkThisPotion View Post
                          I am struggling with the Z value as well. Ali said he'll be providing a demo of how to properly wrap the theme override. I've marked that particular part of my project as blocked (from a planning perspective) until that demo is made. If you figure it out I'd love to hear your method. I had not even used an event listener, but rather just made a platform guaranteed to be a room and made a thin override which makes it so one wall of that room is an empty theme. I then made a static wall with a door which lined up properly with generated dungeons. This works really well except for the Z value of the connected room. Sometimes the room is on Floor 2 of the dungeon and it is no longer aligned with the door I created.
                          The Z value is not really an issue for me as I use a theme override volume which has no effect on the room size/scale/location. It just changes the theme and makes no new platform.
                          But I need to solve a new problem, now. How do I choose the right wall in the new themed room and change it to a entrance mesh ...

I think I can use this approach for theming other special rooms in the dungeon level as well. (library, special bossroom, etc.)

Comment

This sample shows how to automatically enclose a navigation mesh bounds volume (or any type of volume) around your dungeon. The event listener listens to the PostDungeonBuilt event, finds the dungeon dimensions and sets it on the volume. This works for both design time and runtime

I've attached the blueprint. Add it to you Dungeon actor and set the nav mesh bounds volume references as shown in the video

I'll provide an example of encompassing a volume around a room soon
                            Attached Files
                            Dungeon Architect | Prefabricator

Comment

Originally posted by uced View Post
                              Hello Ali,

As you allow a max stair delta greater than 2, are you also natively emitting some stairs that high ?

I did try my luck with a Stair3x marker (hoping for the same logic as your emptyspace emitters) but it didn't work:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]114784[/ATTACH]

So is there an easy way to emit Stair3X, Stair4X etc, or should i (try to^^) make my own emitters ?

Thanks
                              Cedric
                              Hey Cedric, I've added support for stairs greater than 2. So it should emit the appropriate markers. It will be available in the next update (2.1.0)

(2.2.0 is still not released yet in the marketplace. I'll follow up with Epic)
                              Last edited by Ali Akbar; 10-24-2016, 04:31 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
                                Could you please provide a link to these Unity assets ? (I'd like to contact author and see if assets can be used with UE4)
                                [MENTION=1680]motorsep[/MENTION] Those assets are also available in the UE4 marketplace.

UE4: Multistory Dungeons
                                Unity: Multistory Dungeons
                                Author: Mana Station

Comment

Working...
                                X