Dungeon Architect

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Something odd I just noticed (after a year and a half of use!). With the grid builder (possibly other builders too) there doesn't seem to be a way to go from a cell ID to a cell. IOW, how do I get the cell given just a cell ID? I can get all the rooms and corridors and perhaps run through them looking for my cell ID, but that seems like a hack. Am I missing something? Given how often you need a cell it seems like this is desirable functionality (the fact that I haven't needed it for over a year notwithstanding!).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Ali Akbar View Post

MaxPower42 You can create them at both runtime or in the editor. You can change your light's mobility to either static or movable from the theme editor. If you build it in the editor, Unreal Ed would treat it like any other level and you can bake your lighting.
    >> You can change your light's mobility to either static or movable from the theme editor.

Note that this does not actually work (this was mentioned a couple months ago). The static/movable setting is ignored. The only workaround that I've found is to put the light in a BP and use that BP node for movable lights.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ali Akbar - Can we get an example like this one for UE4? The stronghold city builder.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    When might we expect 4.18 support? Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Ali Akbar View Post
    Hey everyone, the snap builder went through some major improvements. You can design your snap modules in level files (as opposed to blueprints)
    Awesome. Do you know if it will break compatibility with older snap builder dungeons that were set up with blueprints? I'll likely switch over to levels, since the editor is better, but my game runs on blueprint snap modules right now.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey everyone, the snap builder went through some major improvements. You can design your snap modules in level files (as opposed to blueprints)

It also supports level streaming. The level streaming logic is based on the dungeon graph's room connection, rather than a simple distance based check. You can load rooms up to a certain depth from where you are standing. In the video I have the depth set to 1, so rooms directly connected to the current room are shown

Level Streaming Support

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ali Akbar, Does the Snap Builder support custom layouts now for connecting rooms?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Is there any way to use grid builder with custom rooms like meshes (similar to snap builder). Like, I want corridors to be procedurally generated to connect rooms I've created myself

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi all,

Does anyone happen to know if it is possible to abort building dungeon with blueprint?
    I need to rebuild dungeon if the number of certain markers is insufficient.
    I thought about calling 'Destroy Dungeon' node after markers have been emitted but I assume the rest of the building process would gonna take place anyway, so I'm looking for more stable alternative.

If anyone knows, please let me know.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    if your project is not online you can even easier use distance culling, cull volumes per dungeon, and level streaming each dungeon could be part of a diferent level streamed in and out from the persistent level.
    By overwrites I mean that "static mesh" node in the theme graph got vast number of options and you can overwrite any value of the default mesh. even collision type and object type.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You are right on PC the performance is not that big of a deal. Still I am seeing several big dungeons will cost a few MS, even when they are not on screen. My project is not on-line, but thanks. I have used the overwrites in the Themes, but those settings are disregarded when you use instanced. I understand you need to make the changes in C++ so I hope this can get exposed to blueprint soon.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    On the dungeon theme you have various settings overwrite on each „static mesh” node. If you set them up they will be applied on the instanced meshes. If you have small maps and target pc and consoles not mobile and performance is not that big of a deal - you can turn on complex collisions project-wide in project settings and simple will be used only for simulate physx.
    if You are running a repository i could help You remotely.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You are right that is a good example of a faked landscape. It seems that if you use instanced in DA you will get HISM which I think is just as good as Foliage. The main problem I am still having is the same as netcop0207. Basically, if you instance the DA build it disregards all of your settings from the advanced tab. So you get the default collision and you can't seem to change the shadows. That's a big problem. You need to be able to turn off shadows and collision on the superfluous meshes. Its a must if you are using dynamic lighting. If anyone knows how to do that please let me know.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    check the example project - and folder "DA_OutdoorCliff"
    Its a good example of faked landscape done with DA

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Few questions on building optimization with DA

I only seem to be able to get an instanced dungeon when I click the check box on the dungeon generator its self. When I try the instanced check box in the theme details config it does not seem to do anything. It also does not seem to do anything when I change the Static Mesh component under advanced options. I ask because I would like to have some parts of my dungeon be instanced. When I have the whole thing be instanced there seems to be no collision or at least its using a different collision profile. Does anyone know why how to fix that?

Also, it would be great if it would used HISM and not just one big ISM, well at least it would be good to have the option.

Finally, foliage... how are people handling that? In all of the examples its just a static mesh that cant be the best way to do it? Are you recommending people set up a procedural foliage volume? I would still like have DA spawn trees at certain locations but have them be Foliage meshes. What's the right way to do that?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X