Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by motorsep View Post

What features are missing from Snap builder ?
    As far as I can tell, you can't use the theme engine with the snap builder. So you can't define floor / ceilings / veneer etc and you have to do your own logic for randomized spawners within snap modules.

With snap builder you can define which snap modules are usable for the beginning piece, the end piece, the ends of branches, and the modules that can connect all of those, as well as how long the path from beginning to ending is and how likely it is to try to make branches.

So what I do is have unique modules to start and end my levels (level end is a special zone or a boss fight), and I have collectibles as branch end modules, and normal platforms and traps as the "regular" modules. Works very well, but I'd like more control to say, limit two of the same modules being placed next to each other.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by JBernhelm View Post
    ....you don't get most of the features of Dungeon Architect with the snap builder, so keep that in mind.
    What features are missing from Snap builder ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey JB, thanks for the information. At the moment we're looking at several ways how to create "partly" procedural levels plus the ability to define room-roles (like starter room, key element rooms, boss rooms, exploration areas, etc..), maybe using node and rule based BP's. I love procedural worlds (oww..including voxels (excluding blocky minecraft and lowpoly..)) and maybe Dungeon (and Landscape?!) Architect might be an pretty cool base to start with. Ali Akbar Pretty awesome stuff.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Kajisan View Post
    a) Is it possible to work in Z direction as well? A lot of our Level Design is based on an 360° of Freedom type and needs room building in "all" directions.
    On your example videos and pictures, we just see planar level designs with little height differences.
    This is what I'm using the Snap Builder for - it's not as full featured or stable as the main dungeon builder, but it allows easy arbitrary building directions - basically you make snap module actors of any size you want, add Snap components, and the builder will attach new segments to those components if they don't break collision. Would work pretty well for a 6dof Descent-like game, and I use it for a very vertical platformer. But again, you don't get most of the features of Dungeon Architect with the snap builder, so keep that in mind.

Not sure how vertical / arbitrary you can get with the normal, full-featured dungeon builder.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wow, we're impressed by the capabilities of this plugin. There are some open questions and i'm not sure these were answered yet.
    Maybe you or someone in the community can give us some more information about several things:

a) Is it possible to work in Z direction as well? A lot of our Level Design is based on an 360° of Freedom type and needs room building in "all" directions.
    On your example videos and pictures, we just see planar level designs with little height differences.

b) Is this plugin compatible with PS4 and Xbox One builds + Linux and Mac?

Greetings, Tobias
    Lead Level Design, Descendent Studios

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for continuing to work on the snap builder. I thank a lot of people are interested in it. I would also like to see the Soul Forge Theme, it looks great. The content pack is still on 2.6 when can we get an update?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think somebody already said it, we need the ability to limit how many times the BP spawns, that would be great for making boss rooms or limited/rare chest spawners. In any case, great stuff so far. As for the error, our main coder sent you some messages on what the resolution was.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am also very interested in the Level map based Snap Builder. The big disadvantage of the BP based snap builder and the prefab tool is that they do not support landscape. It would be seriously great to stitch together sections of landscape with the Snap Builder.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Ali Akbar View Post

Level map based Snap Builder
    - Slow generation (in editor)

- Unstable (in editor)

... once the stability and build performance issues are sorted out. (especially the level streaming and lightmap support for VR and mobile)
    Why is it unstable in the Editor and when can we expect stability fixes ?

I am also wondering if there is any updates / improvements coming to Snap builder.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I got a new sample for you all. It requires some cleaning up, I'll post it in a day or two

Soul Forge Theme

A new theme using the recently released Soul City / Soul Caves assets

Soul Forge Game Demo

A blueprint based sample game created using free assets (infinity blade + soul caves). The video above has some third party assets which I'll replace with free version (gun, projectiles)

It has animation blueprints and AI for the NPCs found in the Infinity Blade Adversary pack

There's also a minimap setup. It is first generated by a simpler theme file, then the scene capture actor captures it in a large texture and the minimap dungeon is destroyed. There's a widget that takes care of panning the minimap texture as the player moves and rotating the player's icon

Screens:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by riuthamus View Post
    Just tried to add this to my new project and I get a crash instantly on the editor. The crash is related to some deep engine code with UI updates to the editor. It does not happen on a fresh new project, however we are using "gameAbilities" from the paragaon and fortnite system. Possible conflict there?

Assertion failed: (Index >= 0) & (Index < ArrayNum) [File:\Build\++UE4+Release-4.18+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Containers/Array.h] [Line: 610] Array index out of bounds: 3 from an array of size 1

UE4Editor_Core!FDebug::AssertFailed() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\assertionmacros.cpp:414]
    UE4Editor_LevelEditor!SLevelEditor::RefreshEditorModeCommands() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\leveleditor\private\sleveleditor.cpp:1334]
    UE4Editor_LevelEditor!SLevelEditor::RestoreContentArea() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\leveleditor\private\sleveleditor.cpp:1134]
    UE4Editor_LevelEditor!SLevelEditor::Initialize() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\leveleditor\private\sleveleditor.cpp:176]
    UE4Editor_LevelEditor!FLevelEditorModule::SpawnLevelEditor() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\leveleditor\private\leveleditor.cpp:168]
    UE4Editor_LevelEditor!TMemberFunctionCaller<FLevelEditorModule,TSharedRef<SDockTab,0> (__cdecl FLevelEditorModule::*)(FSpawnTabArgs const & __ptr64) __ptr64>:perator()<FSpawnTabArgs const & __ptr64>() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegateinstanceinterface.h:165]
    UE4Editor_LevelEditor!UE4Tuple_Private::TTupleImpl<TIntegerSequence<unsigned int> >::ApplyAfter<TMemberFunctionCaller<FLevelEditorModule,TSharedRef<SDockTab,0> (__cdecl FLevelEditorModule::*)(FSpawnTabArgs const & __ptr64) __ptr64>,FSpawnTabArgs const & __pt() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\templates\tuple.h:497]
    UE4Editor_LevelEditor!TBaseRawMethodDelegateInstance<0,FLevelEditorModule,TSharedRef<SDockTab,0> __cdecl(FSpawnTabArgs const & __ptr64)>::Execute() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegateinstancesimpl.h:556]
    UE4Editor_Slate!TBaseDelegate<TSharedRef<SDockTab,0>,FSpawnTabArgs const & __ptr64>::Execute() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegatesignatureimpl.inl:537]
    UE4Editor_Slate!FTabManager::SpawnTab() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\docking\tabmanager.cpp:1414]
    UE4Editor_Slate!FTabManager::RestoreArea_Helper() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\docking\tabmanager.cpp:1273]
    UE4Editor_Slate!FTabManager::RestoreSplitterContent() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\docking\tabmanager.cpp:1388]
    UE4Editor_Slate!FTabManager::RestoreArea_Helper() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\docking\tabmanager.cpp:1357]
    UE4Editor_Slate!FTabManager::RestoreArea() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\docking\tabmanager.cpp:1249]
    UE4Editor_Slate!FTabManager::RestoreFrom() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\docking\tabmanager.cpp:808]
    UE4Editor_MainFrame!FMainFrameModule::CreateDefaultMainFrame() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\mainframe\private\mainframemodule.cpp:206]
    UE4Editor_UnrealEd!EditorInit() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\unrealedglobals.cpp:124]
    UE4Editor!GuardedMain() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:150]
    UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:134]
    UE4Editor!WinMain() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:210]
    UE4Editor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [f:\dd\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:253]
    kernel32
    ntdll"

Looks like a layout issue. Could you try restoring your editor's layout and restart the editor? (Window > Reset Layout)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Sean Sanderson
    Hi. Just a couple of things. DA crashes on my Mac running High Sierra, but is fine with Sierra. I have reverted to Sierra for the time being. When I use the "generate levels at runtime" code on my iPad project the meshes go a bit random. It seems the iPad can only place assets wth their original pivot points i.e. no applied offsets. I am solving this by making sure my assets have pivot points to make them line up on the debug data preview window without having to use any scaling or offsets. Thank you Ali for your awesome work.
    Sean, I'll test it in High Sierra and let you know

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Ratamorph View Post

Sorry for reviving this old response, first of all thank you very much to Konflict for his response, it completely fixed my reported bug.ali, did you found something wrong with this fixes? I'm asking because I plan to use this feature and it's not very usefull in it's broken state. I'd love it if this fix made it into the code so we don't have to keep track of fixes we make and merge every time a new update gets released.
    Ratamorph Konflict I'll look into this

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Laurentius View Post

As I said ... the version using Blueprint as their "rooms" is working OK for me - no crashes and fast generation (compared to the level stiching version WAY faster).
    And the problem designing those Blueprint can be perfectly solved by using the Prefab addon from the Marketplace. You actually design the Blueprints in the level editor of Unreal - works good.

But the DA side need some bugfixing and a little more features (as I described above).

What's also needed is the ability to suppress some actor types from the Blueprints (if this is possible) and the ability to restrict some "rooms" to occur only once (or a definable amount) - no one want's 2 boss rooms of the same type in one level ;-)
    And rooms occurring in an exact order would be nice for gameplay, too.

Thanks for working on it,
    Lars
    Laurentius Lars, Thanks for the feedback. Earlier, I found designing in the blueprint editor to be a pain, but like you say, the Prefab tool seems to fix that. I'll try to support both by abstracting the module source (blueprint or level module)

Here are some of the Pros and Cons of each one:

Blueprint Based Snap builder
    + Fast generation (in editor)
    + Fast generation (at runtime)
    + Stable (in editor)
    + Stable (at runtime)

- No level streaming
    - No lightmapping
    - No BSP Brushes
    - No foliage (BP doesn't support it)
    - No vertex painting (?)

Level map based Snap Builder
    - Slow generation (in editor)
    + Fast generation (at runtime)
    - Unstable (in editor)
    + Stable (at runtime)
    + Level streaming
    + Lightmapping support
    + Folliage support
    + Vertex painting support
    + BSP Brushes

Going with the level based modules has a lot of advantages, once the stability and build performance issues are sorted out. (especially the level streaming and lightmap support for VR and mobile)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just tried to add this to my new project and I get a crash instantly on the editor. The crash is related to some deep engine code with UI updates to the editor. It does not happen on a fresh new project, however we are using "gameAbilities" from the paragaon and fortnite system. Possible conflict there?

Assertion failed: (Index >= 0) & (Index < ArrayNum) [File:\Build\++UE4+Release-4.18+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Containers/Array.h] [Line: 610] Array index out of bounds: 3 from an array of size 1

UE4Editor_Core!FDebug::AssertFailed() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\assertionmacros.cpp:414]
    UE4Editor_LevelEditor!SLevelEditor::RefreshEditorModeCommands() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\leveleditor\private\sleveleditor.cpp:1334]
    UE4Editor_LevelEditor!SLevelEditor::RestoreContentArea() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\leveleditor\private\sleveleditor.cpp:1134]
    UE4Editor_LevelEditor!SLevelEditor::Initialize() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\leveleditor\private\sleveleditor.cpp:176]
    UE4Editor_LevelEditor!FLevelEditorModule::SpawnLevelEditor() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\leveleditor\private\leveleditor.cpp:168]
    UE4Editor_LevelEditor!TMemberFunctionCaller<FLevelEditorModule,TSharedRef<SDockTab,0> (__cdecl FLevelEditorModule::*)(FSpawnTabArgs const & __ptr64) __ptr64>:perator()<FSpawnTabArgs const & __ptr64>() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegateinstanceinterface.h:165]
    UE4Editor_LevelEditor!UE4Tuple_Private::TTupleImpl<TIntegerSequence<unsigned int> >::ApplyAfter<TMemberFunctionCaller<FLevelEditorModule,TSharedRef<SDockTab,0> (__cdecl FLevelEditorModule::*)(FSpawnTabArgs const & __ptr64) __ptr64>,FSpawnTabArgs const & __pt() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\templates\tuple.h:497]
    UE4Editor_LevelEditor!TBaseRawMethodDelegateInstance<0,FLevelEditorModule,TSharedRef<SDockTab,0> __cdecl(FSpawnTabArgs const & __ptr64)>::Execute() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegateinstancesimpl.h:556]
    UE4Editor_Slate!TBaseDelegate<TSharedRef<SDockTab,0>,FSpawnTabArgs const & __ptr64>::Execute() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegatesignatureimpl.inl:537]
    UE4Editor_Slate!FTabManager::SpawnTab() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\docking\tabmanager.cpp:1414]
    UE4Editor_Slate!FTabManager::RestoreArea_Helper() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\docking\tabmanager.cpp:1273]
    UE4Editor_Slate!FTabManager::RestoreSplitterContent() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\docking\tabmanager.cpp:1388]
    UE4Editor_Slate!FTabManager::RestoreArea_Helper() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\docking\tabmanager.cpp:1357]
    UE4Editor_Slate!FTabManager::RestoreArea() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\docking\tabmanager.cpp:1249]
    UE4Editor_Slate!FTabManager::RestoreFrom() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\docking\tabmanager.cpp:808]
    UE4Editor_MainFrame!FMainFrameModule::CreateDefaultMainFrame() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\mainframe\private\mainframemodule.cpp:206]
    UE4Editor_UnrealEd!EditorInit() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\unrealedglobals.cpp:124]
    UE4Editor!GuardedMain() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:150]
    UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:134]
    UE4Editor!WinMain() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:210]
    UE4Editor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [f:\dd\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:253]
    kernel32
    ntdll"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X