Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Ali

Here's something I can't explain.

I've been working with the DungeonDesignTime (DDT) mode and been creating my theme and as you can see the result so far works okay - though lots of work still needed:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DDT_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	733.9 KB
ID:	1091562

Name:	DDT_settings.PNG
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1091563

But despite it looking okay in the main editor window, the Preview window in the theme is all messed up. I kinda ignored this because it looked fine in-game:

Name:	DDT_Prev.PNG
Size:	928.9 KB
ID:	1091564

However, when I switched to DungeonRuntime and made the settings of Dungeon1 exactly the same as DDT mode and pressed play I got this:

Name:	DRT_game.jpg
Size:	417.1 KB
ID:	1091566
    and this in the preview window (this time an accurate representation of what I see in the game window (Except this has stairs too - which I explicitly turn off - check the settings!)

Name:	DRT_Preview.jpg
Size:	651.5 KB
ID:	1091568

What am I doing wrong? Or is it a bug? Quite a few strange issues there

Cheers,
    Daz
    Attached Files

Comment

Daz, the preview window's dungeon config still has the default values (grid size 400,400,200). You can sync that to you main window by clicking the Properties button in the preview window in the theme editor and select Dungeon. Then expand the config section in the details window and set the values correctly there. The theme file will remember these settings when you open it the next time.

Let me know if it works out

The plugins requires more documentation and proper video tutorials. I'll be giving it priority.

In the Realtime demo, I'm resetting the dungeon config in the level blueprint (to give it a random seed to get a new level every time). So you need to set your dungeon config in the Level blueprint because the demo overrides it
      Last edited by Ali Akbar; 10-20-2015, 05:40 PM.
      Dungeon Architect | Prefabricator

Comment

@HInoue Fixed the bug you mentioned in #290

Due to the newer optimizations in the instanced mesh scene provider, a hash is generated and saved for each node in the theme file. So the older theme files had to be re-saved. The theming engine now regenerates the hash if it is not available so it works with older theme files

Edit: Fix will be available in 1.1.3. In the mean time, just re-save your old theme file if you face this issue
        Last edited by Ali Akbar; 10-20-2015, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ali Akbar View Post
          Daz, the preview window's dungeon config still has the default values (grid size 400,400,200). You can sync that to you main window by clicking the Properties button in the preview window in the theme editor and select Dungeon. Then expand the config section in the details window and set the values correctly there. The theme file will remember these settings when you open it the next time.

Let me know if it works out

The plugins requires more documentation and proper video tutorials. I'll be giving it priority.

In the Realtime demo, I'm resetting the dungeon config in the level blueprint (to give it a random seed to get a new level every time). So you need to set your dungeon config in the Level blueprint because the demo overrides it

Awesome thanks Ali, that solved all the problems. Although i had to change some of my blueprinted static meshes to moveable on the RunTime demo for it to stop spamming the game log with errors and causing stuttering. Once I changed this it was exactly the same as the DDT one.

Got two more questions!

1> How do we know where to place and what dimensions to choose for adding a NavMesh?
          2> Did you read my earlier questions regarding an ENTRANCE and EXIT type object, and the sprading of props around some kind of radius from the centre rather than everywhere, even near walls (to stop my crates and other objects from clipping through geometry?

Cheers.
          LOVE this, you're an amazing developer

Daz

Comment

Awesome, thank you! I can verify that every bug I've mentioned in this thread is now fixed, and really quickly too- I seriously appreciate all of the work you're putting into this product

Comment

Originally posted by dazuk1978 View Post
              1> How do we know where to place and what dimensions to choose for adding a NavMesh?
              In the context of runtime dungeon generation, you don't have a way of knowing it yet. In post #93, I created a nav mesh volume large enough to cover a huge area. There's a flag you have to set in the engine if you want your nav meshes to generate during runtime (for dungeons generated at runtime). It is mentioned in #93

2> Did you read my earlier questions regarding an ENTRANCE and EXIT type object, and the sprading of props around some kind of radius from the centre rather than everywhere, even near walls (to stop my crates and other objects from clipping through geometry?
              For entrance / exit, you could use platform volumes like the way I use in the multi-story building demo. However, UE4 doesn't allow me to spawn volumes during runtime or from blueprints. So its C++ heavy. I'll look at a workaround. I'm building a simple tower defence game (blueprints only) using infinity blade assets and will be looking at implementing this somehow

As for markers, there is a better way. I'll expose a Marker Emitter blueprint which you guys can attach to the dungeon actor. This BP gets called and gives you an opportunity to emit your own markers into the scene. So you iterate through all the rooms, get their bounds and scatter your own markers (circular or otherwise) anyway you like on top of the existing stuff. Will post more on this later

Cheers.
              LOVE this, you're an amazing developer

Daz
              Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by HInoue View Post
                Awesome, thank you! I can verify that every bug I've mentioned in this thread is now fixed, and really quickly too- I seriously appreciate all of the work you're putting into this product
                Thanks!

Comment

You can now emit your own markers into the scene using blueprints.

The dungeon generation pipeline is:
                  Generate Layout in Memory > Emit Markers > Replace markers with meshes (using theming graph)

Now an extra step is added
                  Generate Layout in Memory > Emit Markers > Emit custom markers from BP > Replace markers with meshes (using theming graph)

This opens up lots of possibilities for theming as you are no longer bound by what I emit from the builder.

In this example, I created an emitter blueprint that iterates through all rooms and adds markers along a circle. This marker will be encountered by the theming engine so it can be defined in the theme file

You can register multiple emitters (e.g. for each effect)

The Marker Emitter Blueprint

The theme file (D_RoomRunes)

Other possibilities are slanted roofs, curved roofs / structures etc, room corner pillars etc. You can place these markers anywhere in the map with any name. I'll create more samples tomorrow

Comment

Wow. I ask, and you deliver!

This looks like it will have the power to really customise prop-placement, but at the moment I'm not sure how I would use that to randomly distribute my crates in an area and stop them colliding with themselves/other entities/walls and clipping through the walls?

I think pretty soon every game being made in UE4 will feature procedural levels!!

Thx,
                    Daz

EDIT: Also, when will the build be out with this in mate?
                    Cheers
                    Daz
                    Last edited by dazuk1978; 10-21-2015, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Also, another question:

I tried to set some blueprinted decals as randomised props in the theme and although the decal entity (helper icon) appeared in the world, it didn't seem to bring in the other components of the blueprint and so the decal didn't show up? Are they not supported? I manually placed one and it worked fine...
                      Daz

Comment

I have this problem with instanced dungeon:
                        Performance Warning DungeonInstancedMeshActor_0 Large actor receives a pre-shadow and will cause an extreme performance hit unless bCastDynamicShadow is set to false.

Indeed it slows down FPS. But cannot change it, or i could not find where it is in plugin.

Comment

Looks awesome!

The only reason I haven't bought it yet is that I haven't seen any videos showing multiple height levels mixed together with one dungeon, I assume this isn't currently possible? I know there can be different heights, but could you have one room above another for example? It seems like the current setup might lead to very "flat" levels if it isn't possible to overlap rooms. I think it would be difficult to create a complex layout if the dungeons are essentially based around a 2d heightmap. Is this something you might add to the project at some point?

Edit: Also, is it possible to change the height of the rooms when using the volumes? I saw in one video that you changed the length/width of a volume and raised the Z height, but I didn't see you changing a rooms height. I think this would be a very useful feature for adding variation to the generated rooms.
                          Last edited by uunx; 10-22-2015, 08:41 AM.

Comment

@uunx, as of now the generator doesn't support overlapping rooms (on different heights). You can however use different dungeons and join them together like in the multi-story building demo (still wip). I might create another builder based on a different algorithm in the future if there is demand for it (no promises though)

@Nawrot, @dazuk1978 I'll look into this

Comment

Put in more work in the Infinity blade ice theme.

The following level is 100% procedural and will be bundled with the Quick Start Samples

Theme file for this level

Alternate lighting model

Comment

Hello.
                                Here is one example that I create with the fabulous Plugin Dungeon Architect.

The second video shows
                                creation, step by step
                                the official map
                                Audio is French

www.passion3d.com

Comment

Working...
                                X