Dungeon Architect

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Castle View Post
    This looks like it could be really good for a project I am working on now. Would it be possible for me to build a bunch of rooms as separate levels then use the level generator to connect them together while having some dynamic areas acting as hallways or spaces between them?
    You can merge your dungeon with static content. Here's the example [MENTION=11208]n00854180t[/MENTION] was talking about:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post686040

In this example, the middle area is your static level content. You place a platform volume where you'd like a entrance to a procedural dungeon

Dungeon Architect | Prefabricator

Discord Support

Comment

Originally posted by hippowombat View Post
      Just picked this up the other day, sorry if this has been asked already, but could I potentially create multiple spawn volumes within an existing level to create custom buildings using modular pieces, or do the volumes set themselves up as separate levels that I'd have to load/stream into?
      [MENTION=25181]hippowombat[/MENTION] Could you elaborate? You can have multiple dungeons within the same level (or in different streaming levels)

Discord Support

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower42 View Post
        Looks like I missed the sale :/

Would have invested ~50€, even for the inspiration alone. A few things still concern me though:

- In videos and screenshots maps are more or less flat. I also saw a video with a multi-story building, but I'm wondering how flexible these are. For example, can the floor-layout be different across stories, and can the outer shape resemble this?
        You can have height variations but not different floors stacked on top of each other with the default layout method. There are other layout methods as well, however they are a work in progress and DA is designed to add more layout methods in the future. The multi-story building video you saw was from the experimental FloorPlan layout builder

- Am I right assuming that everything is based on voxels/cells of a *standardized* size? Or can the "grid" have different sizes for different kinds of structures (like a corridor may be wider than a ventilation shaft)?
        - Can "un-dividible elements" stretch over multiple tiles, like a large gate that takes up 2 or 3 standard wall-segments?
        It is based on grids and the art assets of different size factors won't fit well (like a gate of 2x the size)

- All the footage I've seen had a consistent theme, which didn't have much variation "within", meaning all the enclosed buildings, walls floors etc. basically looked the same. Is this just coincidence?.. I guess the question comes down to: are there themes within themes within themes (which are also bound to placement-behavior/patterns) ... ?
        That's a good point and was a limitation which was addressed a few months ago. There's a new feature called clustered themeing, which automatically splits up the dungeon into clusters and applies different themes to each cluster. This breaks monotony and adds variety to your level instead of having the same theme throughout

More info on this in the user guide

- Do you have an interface in place that lets you extend map-gen functionality, like OnTilePlaced, OnTileRemoved .... ? Can I make tiles (partly) destructible by replacing them with alternative versions - WITHOUT ******** up the system?
        You'd mostly control this from the theme editor and probability / rules. You also have Spawn Logic, which are blueprints invoked when your actor is spawned into the scene. You can use this to initialize the actor that you just spawned (like set it to destructible, change the light color, etc)

Here's an example of destructible meshes spawned from the theme engine

Sorry for all the questions. Would appreciate any answers.
        I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have

Discord Support

Comment

Originally posted by BStbck View Post
          Just bought the plugin a few days ago and loving it so far, thanks for the great work!

One problem I have is that UGridDungeonQuery::GetPathBetweenCells() doesn't immediately work when building a dungeon at design time and starting a PIE session (OutSuccess is false). At least some of the other query commands (like GetFurthestRooms()) do work.
          It can be fixed by calling BuildDungeon() again, for example in BeginPlay() and using a delay node to wait for a short time (even though MaxBuildTimePerFrameMs is 0.0, so it should be synchronous if I understand it correctly).

Can be reproduced easily by using GetPathBetweenCells() in BeginPlay() of a level blueprint with a level that contains a dungeon built at design time.

Not sure if that is a known limitation or a bug, but I couldn't find it mentioned in the docs at least.
          I'm on DungeonArchitect version 2.6.0 with UE 4.15.2.
          [MENTION=1976]BStbck[/MENTION] Thank you for your support and the bug report. It looks like the data model was not serialized properly when built from the editor. I'll have a look

Discord Support

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
            I think it would be nice for DA to support this: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post707183
            [MENTION=1680]motorsep[/MENTION] Thanks for the heads up. It looks like a very useful addition. I posted on the forum with some questions to [MENTION=702]Nate[/MENTION]. It should be possible to drag drop the prefab assets to the theme editor and have the theme engine spawn it. However, I'm not sure if any extra initialization is needed by the prefab system after spawning
            Last edited by Ali Akbar; 05-13-2017, 04:41 AM.

Discord Support

Comment

I want to turn on GenerateOverlapEvent of Collision of StaticMeshComponent to be placed.
              I tried to turn on GenerateOverlapEvent in MeshDetails Advanced properties of the theme, but it did not turn on in Outliner.
              Does MeshDetails' Advanced properties have no effect?

I'm sorry.
              Because it is an English sentence created using google translation, it may be a slightly strange English sentence.

Comment

[MENTION=24161]nano06126728[/MENTION] There's a bug where collision customization doesn't update properly. As a workaround, try setting this in the mesh editor itself by double clicking your mesh from the content browser

Discord Support

Comment

[MENTION=2631]ali[/MENTION]
                  I added in a landscape and when I hit play I get this crash:

LoginId:cf0d5cc243f731bfa3fd71b42ebaa55f
                  EpicAccountId:

Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)

UE4Editor_Landscape
                  UE4Editor_DungeonArchitectRuntime!UDungeonLandscapeModifier::RasterizeLayout() [d:\build\++portal+main+full\sync\localbuilds\plugintemp\hostproject\plugins\dungeonarchitect\source\dungeonarchitectruntime\private\core\landscape\dungeonlandscapemodifier.cpp:140]
                  UE4Editor_DungeonArchitectRuntime!UDungeonLandscapeModifier::OnDungeonLayoutBuilt_Implementation() [d:\build\++portal+main+full\sync\localbuilds\plugintemp\hostproject\plugins\dungeonarchitect\source\dungeonarchitectruntime\private\core\landscape\dungeonlandscapemodifier.cpp:27]
                  UE4Editor_DungeonArchitectRuntime!UDungeonEventListener::execOnDungeonLayoutBuilt() [d:\build\++portal+main+full\sync\localbuilds\plugintemp\hostproject\plugins\dungeonarchitect\source\dungeonarchitectruntime\public\core\dungeoneventlistener.h:15]
                  UE4Editor_CoreUObject
                  UE4Editor_CoreUObject
                  UE4Editor_DungeonArchitectRuntime!UDungeonEventListener::OnDungeonLayoutBuilt()
                  UE4Editor_DungeonArchitectRuntime!DungeonUtils::FDungeonEventListenerNotifier::NotifyDungeonLayoutBuilt() [d:\build\++portal+main+full\sync\localbuilds\plugintemp\hostproject\plugins\dungeonarchitect\source\dungeonarchitectruntime\private\core\dungeoneventlistener.cpp:57]
                  UE4Editor_DungeonArchitectRuntime!FDungeonBuilderTask:oWork() [d:\build\++portal+main+full\sync\localbuilds\plugintemp\hostproject\plugins\dungeonarchitect\source\dungeonarchitectruntime\private\core\dungeon.cpp:272]
                  UE4Editor_DungeonArchitectRuntime!FAsyncTask<FDungeonBuilderTask>:oWork() [d:\build\++portal+main+full\sync\rocketsync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\async\asyncwork.h:264]
                  UE4Editor_DungeonArchitectRuntime!FAsyncTask<FDungeonBuilderTask>::Start() [d:\build\++portal+main+full\sync\rocketsync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\async\asyncwork.h:252]
                  UE4Editor_DungeonArchitectRuntime!ADungeon::Tick() [d:\build\++portal+main+full\sync\localbuilds\plugintemp\hostproject\plugins\dungeonarchitect\source\dungeonarchitectruntime\private\core\dungeon.cpp:149]
                  UE4Editor_Engine
                  UE4Editor_Engine
                  UE4Editor_Engine
                  UE4Editor_Engine
                  UE4Editor_Core
                  UE4Editor_Core
                  UE4Editor_Core
                  UE4Editor_Engine
                  UE4Editor_Engine
                  UE4Editor_Engine
                  UE4Editor_Engine
                  UE4Editor_UnrealEd
                  UE4Editor_UnrealEd
                  UE4Editor
                  UE4Editor
                  UE4Editor
                  UE4Editor
                  UE4Editor
                  kernel32
                  ntdll

Sorry, gotta go , more details later

Comment

HI Ali,

I have a couple questions.

I am very interested in the Dungeon Flow Editor. I cannot find any documentation on it. Is it a work in progress? I did not see anything listed on the roadmap for it (except in old 2.0 roadmap).

Is there a way to update the properties of an object in a marker when you emit the marker in blueprints? I can set the socket type but the node does not return the marker object so I cannot modify it. So then I thought I will use Spawn Logic, but I do not have idea where this marker is in the dungeon, no context to make the changes I want, an example situation for this would be I want to modify the boss in the boss room to be the correct level for the player coming into the dungeon. I guess I could loop through all the markers in the event on Markers Emiited and find out where there are and modify them.

I guess to sum up I am trying to find the best way to customize how I place monsters, traps, treasure, and props and such in the generated dungeon. I want generate these details myself and then query the dungeon and plug them in at appropriate places.

Any tips would be appreciated. I have been through quick start guide and project and the docs many times. I am going to go through this monster thread and see what other tips are in here.

Thanks for a great product.

Comment

One note along the lines of the Prefab stuff for generating levels. If you are trying to maximize performance and bake lightmaps, as I found myself doing in a recent VR project, I found the Instance Tool plugin to be very useful. Created maps with snap builder, then used Instance Tool to convert the blueprints to heirarchical instanced static meshes afterwards.

Comment

Really need a City Builder Tutorial. I need to make some levels in the next week an need some help generating city levels for my game. I have my assets I just need to get the concept of how to build using City Builder. I need to finish my demo in the next week. Hopefully we can get a updated City Builder tutorial. Thanks for the great work You have done on this plugin.

Comment

Hi, I understand it is a floor plan is experimental but I'm wondering if it is possible to place wall separators. I have been trying and it doesn't seem to work. Cheers, thanks in advance.

Comment

@ Ali Akbar
                            Thank you for your response.
                            I will try it.

Comment

Hi Ali,
                              Did you get a chance to look at why the spatial constraints aren't working in runtime? As par my previous post:

Bug found: Spatial Constraints cause meshes to not spawn in runtime generated dungeon in Standalone mode.

Steps to reproduce in sample project:
                              -Open Runtime Dungeon Map.
                              -In the starter pack theme, add any mesh and apply spatial constraint.
                              -The mesh will not spawn in Standalone mode. (works fine in editor) - meshes appear to never even be placed by DA.
                              -UE 4.15, DA 2.6

Comment

Originally posted by dazuk1978 View Post
                                [MENTION=2631]ali[/MENTION]
                                I added in a landscape and when I hit play I get this crash:

LoginId:cf0d5cc243f731bfa3fd71b42ebaa55f
                                EpicAccountId:

Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)

Sorry, gotta go , more details later

Daz, Thanks for the bug report. I've fixed the error and it won't crash.

Note: this landscape transformer will not work at runtime because runtime landscape modifications are not allowed (engine limitation)

Discord Support

Comment

Working...
                                X