Dungeon Architect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ali Akbar View Post
    [MENTION=753241]NicoSlevin[/MENTION] Your art should be fine. In your case, the grid size would be 2500x2500 and the 4 way intersection would fit properly. The roads can have a gap of 500 on the sides (500.1500.500x2500). How is your mesh pivot aligned? It would be easier if it is in the center or you'll have to play a bit with the offset
    Thanks for the reply, I tried to make the grid 2500x2500 and yes there were some gaps, I'll give it another shot tonight and watch all your videos again since I was having some issues when I tried to fix the gaps and houses did not line up with the edge of the street and try to move the pivot like you said, thank you

Comment

It would be nice to add a tool to DA that allows user to build a piece of dungeon (or rather, a "module") in the Editor, then select all the pieces comprising the module and in one click turn it into BP Actor. Is it something that can be done, [MENTION=28980]Ali Akbar[/MENTION] ?

Comment

[MENTION=1680]motorsep[/MENTION] - You should be able to do that by using the standard tools, e.g., set up DA theme, build dungeon, select all the actors, then under the Blueprint drop down at the top of the editor, select Create Blueprint from Selected Components.
        Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

Originally posted by n00854180t View Post
          then under the Blueprint drop down at the top of the editor, select Create Blueprint from Selected Components.
          Oh, thanks. Didn't know that. Is it specific to DA or just a general UE4 tool?

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
            Oh, thanks. Didn't know that. Is it specific to DA or just a general UE4 tool?
            Just a generic UE4 feature - but because DA spawns the dungeon as individual actors after you click Build, it should work.

I use the Blueprint from actors/components thing a lot to move pieces of levels around.

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

This looks like it could be really good for a project I am working on now. Would it be possible for me to build a bunch of rooms as separate levels then use the level generator to connect them together while having some dynamic areas acting as hallways or spaces between them?
              - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
              BLOG: https://steemit.com/@thecastle

Comment

Just picked this up the other day, sorry if this has been asked already, but could I potentially create multiple spawn volumes within an existing level to create custom buildings using modular pieces, or do the volumes set themselves up as separate levels that I'd have to load/stream into?

Comment

Originally posted by Castle View Post
                  This looks like it could be really good for a project I am working on now. Would it be possible for me to build a bunch of rooms as separate levels then use the level generator to connect them together while having some dynamic areas acting as hallways or spaces between them?
                  Ali posted an example of this earlier in the thread (making static parts connected by random dungeon in between).

Comment

Originally posted by Ali Akbar View Post
                    [MENTION=189843]MaxPower42[/MENTION] It's on sale right now (50% off)

The dungeon layout algorithm can be swapped out with another implementation. The default implementation you see in the video is called the Grid Builder. there are other implementations as well which are a work in progress (floor plan, snap, city etc). You can write your own implementations.

Circular / Angular walls are not supported in the grid builder (you could use rules to add a different mesh in the corners)

The quick start guide comes with a sample game mode that shows how the dungeon layout can be modified by the player. However it is not a in-game level editor and it would require more work as part of your game development (UI, save / load etc)
                    Looks like I missed the sale :/

Would have invested ~50€, even for the inspiration alone. A few things still concern me though:

- In videos and screenshots maps are more or less flat. I also saw a video with a multi-story building, but I'm wondering how flexible these are. For example, can the floor-layout be different across stories, and can the outer shape resemble this?

- Am I right assuming that everything is based on voxels/cells of a *standardized* size? Or can the "grid" have different sizes for different kinds of structures (like a corridor may be wider than a ventilation shaft)?

- All the footage I've seen had a consistent theme, which didn't have much variation "within", meaning all the enclosed buildings, walls floors etc. basically looked the same. Is this just coincidence?.. I guess the question comes down to: are there themes within themes within themes (which are also bound to placement-behavior/patterns) ... ?

- Do you have an interface in place that lets you extend map-gen functionality, like OnTilePlaced, OnTileRemoved .... ? Can I make tiles (partly) destructible by replacing them with alternative versions - WITHOUT ******** up the system?

- Can "un-dividible elements" stretch over multiple tiles, like a large gate that takes up 2 or 3 standard wall-segments?

Sorry for all the questions. Would appreciate any answers.

Comment

Originally posted by n00854180t View Post
                      Ali posted an example of this earlier in the thread (making static parts connected by random dungeon in between).
                      hmm if that's the case then my first person shooter might genuinely be able to go with randomly generated levels. By chance do you know what page this is on? skimming through I am seeing there are like 42 pages to this thread ><
                      - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
                      BLOG: https://steemit.com/@thecastle

Comment

Just bought the plugin a few days ago and loving it so far, thanks for the great work!

One problem I have is that UGridDungeonQuery::GetPathBetweenCells() doesn't immediately work when building a dungeon at design time and starting a PIE session (OutSuccess is false). At least some of the other query commands (like GetFurthestRooms()) do work.
                        It can be fixed by calling BuildDungeon() again, for example in BeginPlay() and using a delay node to wait for a short time (even though MaxBuildTimePerFrameMs is 0.0, so it should be synchronous if I understand it correctly).

Can be reproduced easily by using GetPathBetweenCells() in BeginPlay() of a level blueprint with a level that contains a dungeon built at design time.

Not sure if that is a known limitation or a bug, but I couldn't find it mentioned in the docs at least.
                        I'm on DungeonArchitect version 2.6.0 with UE 4.15.2.

Comment

Havent tried this yet.... but has there been any news on side scroller support with this plugin?
                          Snap-In Systems: <<< CLICK
                          | Inventory (Battle Royale) |Smart Select Box | Ready Game Modes | Handy Macros | Gun Weapon System |Simple Mesh Outliner |

Comment

Originally posted by Castle View Post
                            hmm if that's the case then my first person shooter might genuinely be able to go with randomly generated levels. By chance do you know what page this is on? skimming through I am seeing there are like 42 pages to this thread ><
                            Somewhere in the last few pages I think, so start on 41 and go backwards.

Comment

I think it would be nice for DA to support this: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post707183

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
                                I think it would be nice for DA to support this: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post707183
                                ^This

I just recently purchased DA, and I'm hoping these two will be able to work together

Comment

Working...
                                X