Dungeon Architect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CyberKatana View Post
    After spawn actor i whant save ref to them and use it when spawning other actors(something like "observer"). Where i can store this ref?(i use dungeon grid template)
    You could add empty blueprint actors as placeholders to represent your spawn points (instead of actually spawning the NPCs)

Then your blueprint can have the logic of spawning, instead of the theme file. You'd go through each spawn point position (by querying the blueprint actor you spawned from the theme file) and decide where to spawn and properly initialize them. I use this method for the shooter demo where a bunch of player start actors are scattered around the map and NPCs are spawned at runtime by picking a random PlayerStart actor that is not very near another character.

I'll be adding a blackboard to the dungeon actor which you can use to save / load global data from different places (like your observer actor). It can be used to limit the no. of items spawned per level etc.
    Last edited by Ali Akbar; 05-04-2017, 11:42 AM.
    Dungeon Architect | Prefabricator

Discord Support

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower42 View Post
      I just found out about this plugin after spending months trying to produce something similar.

I can't even settle for a certain approach, because everything I try has so many problems and restrictions. When trying to solve those, my clean and simple ideas become so bloated with workarounds, it's making me sick...

I tried something voxelized with elements inside the voxel-space or mostly at the borders between voxels. I also tried non-voxelized geometry with freely placed junction/connector-nodes that can have special "seperator"-elements.

Depending on what approach I currently tend towards, I'm having all kinds of problems with overlaps, inflexible connectivity between modules, irregular layout leaving the "grid" etc etc.

The stuff in your videos looks amazing. I noticed there aren't any triangular floor-elements though, which is one of the things I am desperately trying to get done... well, the problem is really making them "connect" to other modules in a not-overly-restrictive way.

I wish there was a trial version or something, because I'd really like to know what options and parameters you have for creating levels at runtime, and how open and extendable the system is. For example, could I make an in-game "build-mode" where the player can change the level (with restrictions) at runtime using your system (EDIT: nevermind, I saw in the manual there's player building)? And could I write my own level generation procedures with or without whatever sub-algorithms you may have in place?
      [MENTION=189843]MaxPower42[/MENTION] It's on sale right now (50% off)

The dungeon layout algorithm can be swapped out with another implementation. The default implementation you see in the video is called the Grid Builder. there are other implementations as well which are a work in progress (floor plan, snap, city etc). You can write your own implementations.

Circular / Angular walls are not supported in the grid builder (you could use rules to add a different mesh in the corners)

The quick start guide comes with a sample game mode that shows how the dungeon layout can be modified by the player. However it is not a in-game level editor and it would require more work as part of your game development (UI, save / load etc)

Discord Support

Comment

Originally posted by DrinkThisPotion View Post
        Bug found: Spatial Constraints cause meshes to not spawn in runtime generated dungeon in Standalone mode.

Steps to reproduce in sample project:
        -Open Runtime Dungeon Map.
        -In the starter pack theme, add any mesh and apply spatial constraint.
        -The mesh will not spawn in Standalone mode. (works fine in editor) - meshes appear to never even be placed by DA.
        -UE 4.15, DA 2.6
        [MENTION=504934]DrinkThisPotion[/MENTION] Thanks for letting me know. I'll fix it in the next build

Discord Support

Comment

Originally posted by antsonthetree View Post
          Hello!

First - this thing is awesome. Great work and thank you for making this available to the rest of us.

I'm curious how well DA supports multiplayer games? Can a seed be used to gen identical dungeons on clients? Can a manually edited dungeon be replicated to clients along with the edited parts? What other gotchas/caveats are involved when using this plugin in a multiplayer game?

Thanks!
          Jake
          [MENTION=38747]antsonthetree[/MENTION] Thank you! As long as the dungeon configuration is the same, it will generate the same level. So you can replicate the dungeon configuration object (seed + other config params) and it would generate the same dungeon on all clients

Discord Support

Comment

DA in VR

Discord Support

Comment

Would you be able to make a top-down game with the plugin but, if the assets used were optimised for 1st/3rd-person, also create cinematics with Sequencer?

The reason I ask is because our project has decided to go the "Shadow Complex" route, but the environment in that allows for 3rd-person cutscenes as well.
              Creative Director - Thorium Entertainment LLC | http://www.facebook.com/calibergame
              Inventor - Rushboard Technologies | http://www.rushboardtech.com

Comment

Can I ask how long this will be on sale? Thinking about picking it up just to experiment and support your work, but not sure if there's room in the budget just this moment

Regardless, this looks absolutely worth full price, amazing work!

SINGMETOSLEEP / PARASOMNIA / DARKDRIFT / ETERNAL APEX / PRETTY ABRASIVE MUSIC / TWITTER @ACATALEPT

Comment

Hi, I'm very interested in purchasing this, but I have one question.

If I use this in my project, is it possible for me to alter the underlying generation algorithm? At first glance, (and forgive me if I'm wrong, I've only looked at the store pages) the dungeons are generated on a space-partition or cell-generating model described in:

http://donjon.bin.sh/d20/dungeon/ and http://pcgbook.com/wp-content/uploads/chapter03.pdf

In other words, it looks like it spawn some volumes, connects them and then generates connectors.

I would like to change the logic to be a little more graph-based implementation similar to described here:
                  http://www.ludomotion.com/pdfs/Conte...DungeonRun.pdf

Instead, I'd like to create a model, which spawns rooms and spawns connectors. Is this possible?

Comment

Originally posted by acatalept View Post
                    Can I ask how long this will be on sale? Thinking about picking it up just to experiment and support your work, but not sure if there's room in the budget just this moment

Regardless, this looks absolutely worth full price, amazing work!
                    Only 24 hours

Comment

Originally posted by Ali Akbar View Post
                      DA in VR

Is it possible for you to make a demo build that we can just run and test in VR? (binary) Please

Comment

Just got DA on sale! Get ready to be swamped with questions and proposals

Here is the first batch.

Does this AI system work with DA https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...havior-toolkit ?

Some folks say that UE4 performs horribly with DA because dynamic lighting is not culled. Is it a general problem with UE4 or is it something that should be implemented in DA ? (culling stationary / dynamic lights based on their occlusion)

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by David Ott View Post
                          Hi, I'm very interested in purchasing this, but I have one question.

If I use this in my project, is it possible for me to alter the underlying generation algorithm? At first glance, (and forgive me if I'm wrong, I've only looked at the store pages) the dungeons are generated on a space-partition or cell-generating model described in:

http://donjon.bin.sh/d20/dungeon/ and http://pcgbook.com/wp-content/uploads/chapter03.pdf

In other words, it looks like it spawn some volumes, connects them and then generates connectors.

I would like to change the logic to be a little more graph-based implementation similar to described here:
                          http://www.ludomotion.com/pdfs/Conte...DungeonRun.pdf

Instead, I'd like to create a model, which spawns rooms and spawns connectors. Is this possible?
                          [MENTION=256462]David Ott[/MENTION] Sure, you can swap out the layout algorithm with your own implementation. Right now there are about 4 different implementations (grid, snap, city, floor plan) and you choose your implementation from the drop down list in the dungeon actor. The layout algorithm is called a "Builder" in DA

Discord Support

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
                            Just got DA on sale! Get ready to be swamped with questions and proposals

Here is the first batch.

Does this AI system work with DA https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...havior-toolkit ?

Some folks say that UE4 performs horribly with DA because dynamic lighting is not culled. Is it a general problem with UE4 or is it something that should be implemented in DA ? (culling stationary / dynamic lights based on their occlusion)

Thanks
                            [MENTION=1680]motorsep[/MENTION] Thank you for your support.

AI Behavior Toolkit works with DA and this game uses it. I had to modify it a bit to make it work with my custom wander system where the pedestrians automatically wander around the procedurally generated city

I'm looking into generating the dungeon across multiple map files (exploring this in Unity but will apply to UE4 as well) and then stream them in when the player gets close. I already have the data of different clusters to distribute across the various streaming levels (same way clustered theming works) and streaming volumes can be placed near the doors. I need to explore if creation of new levels is allowed at runtime in UE4 so they can be later streamed in
                            Last edited by Ali Akbar; 05-04-2017, 11:39 PM.

Discord Support

Comment

I had to modify it a bit to make it work with my custom wander system where the pedestrians automatically wander around the procedurally generated city
                              Is there any reason it wouldn't work out of the box?

I'm looking into generating the dungeon across multiple map files (exploring this in Unity but will apply to UE4 as well) and then stream them in when the player gets close. I already have the data of different clusters to distribute across the various streaming levels (same way clustered theming works) and streaming volumes can be placed near the doors. I need to explore if creation of new levels is allowed at runtime in UE4 so they can be later streamed in
                              That's cool!!!

So, no idea about stationary/dynamic lighting on generated levels being slow and not being culled ?

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
                                Is there any reason it wouldn't work out of the box?
                                It works out of the box, but the game required a custom functionality which was not present (i.e. dynamically picking a nearby point for patrolling). This is gameplay specific and not a limitation of AIToolkit or it's integration with DA.

Here's another example of AIToolking NPC following the player, working out of the box on a runtime generated dungeon

So, no idea about stationary/dynamic lighting on generated levels being slow and not being culled ?
                                They will be culled when I get automatic level streaming working, where far away rooms / corridors will be streamed out and will be culled

Discord Support

Comment

Working...
                                X