No announcement yet.

Full Body IK Setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am making good progress on a new Biped IK algorithm implementation which should give better results i.e. less jittering and snapping. Also, due to the way constraints are handled in this algorithm, this is much faster than the previous implementation which although is more general, but a bit slower. The previous implementation can be used for non-bipedal characters, but this new one should produce desirable results for bipedal characters.

Also, there are controls now as to how much should the body be effected by the movement of the end effectors.

Once, all of this is resolved, the next update would focus on easy parenting of end effectors to other actors in the scene.

Best,
    darkZ

Comment

Hi all,

Based on your feedback I am currently implementing a system where world actors can be easily parented to end effectors of the IK system. This can be useful let's say you want to open a door and want the right/left hand to retarget to the location of the door knob, or in the case of VR, the end effectors can be parented to the actors driven via motion controllers.

Best,
      darkZ

Comment

Working on performance improvements and multiple character support ! This is all running on my laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by darkZ View Post
          Working on performance improvements and multiple character support ! This is all running on my laptop.

Hi dark, i thought for performance it might be worth to just enable certain body parts on average, such as the feets for the average mob which moves around and then the body only after collisions take place.

Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | IndieDB

Comment

Hey, awesome stuff you got there.

Though one question. Does it come with sources ? I'm using promoted builds from github, and need at least glue sources for any plugins, to be for any use for me. Otherwise they are simply incompatible on binary level.
            https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

Pretty cool progress. Suddenly thinking of Agent Smith. As far as feature requests go, what I had in mind was beyond the scope of an IK system, but certainly dependent on it. Things like blending with physics and special behavior while falling down, etc. Think Force Unleashed or Overgrowth. Active ragdolls with procedural motion, physics collisions instead of baked hit reaction animations(or at least the ability to modify baked animation). Don't know if you had multiplayer support in mind, but I was thinking of a system that transmits look at/reach targets to clients instead of complete ragdolls which I suspect would be too costly.

Comment

Originally posted by unit23 View Post
                Hi dark, i thought for performance it might be worth to just enable certain body parts on average, such as the feets for the average mob which moves around and then the body only after collisions take place.
                That is an interesting idea. There might be ways of doing this within the algorithm, but currently I don't do it yet. I will look into it after I release 0.3.

Thanks !
                Last edited by darkZ; 11-28-2015, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iniside View Post
                  Hey, awesome stuff you got there.

Though one question. Does it come with sources ? I'm using promoted builds from github, and need at least glue sources for any plugins, to be for any use for me. Otherwise they are simply incompatible on binary level.
                  Thanks iniside !

It comes with the glue sources. I know at least some people with source builds have been using it and haven't complained.

Comment

Originally posted by Xodroc View Post
                    Pretty cool progress. Suddenly thinking of Agent Smith. As far as feature requests go, what I had in mind was beyond the scope of an IK system, but certainly dependent on it. Things like blending with physics and special behavior while falling down, etc. Think Force Unleashed or Overgrowth. Active ragdolls with procedural motion, physics collisions instead of baked hit reaction animations(or at least the ability to modify baked animation). Don't know if you had multiplayer support in mind, but I was thinking of a system that transmits look at/reach targets to clients instead of complete ragdolls which I suspect would be too costly.
                    I definitely have plans for active ragdolls and such, however those are out of scope for this plugin in particular. These might be released as seperate plugin at first. However, much later I would like to integrate into one complete motion suite.
                    Last edited by darkZ; 11-28-2015, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Will it somehow possible to use this plugin in open source project? (so, I will pay for this, but I don't want modder to pay again)
                      Pull Request - UE-13079: World Origin Shifting for Multiplayer. Make Arma Not War - TFAR.

Comment

The licensing terms this plugins is released under prohibits distribution of the plugin in an unpackaged form. So unfortunately, distribution with an open source project would not work. Sorry about that... But thank you for your interest !

Comment

Originally posted by darkZ View Post
                          The licensing terms this plugins is released under prohibits distribution of the plugin in an unpackaged form. So unfortunately, distribution with an open source project would not work. Sorry about that... But thank you for your interest !
                          Hm... Maybe it is somehow possible to create plugin binary which works only one project. What do you think?

In such case I could give compiled plugin to modders.
                          Last edited by nkey; 12-06-2015, 06:18 PM.
                          Pull Request - UE-13079: World Origin Shifting for Multiplayer. Make Arma Not War - TFAR.

Comment

cool stuff.
                            My small game on IndieDB ****** Beams on Twitter ****** Beams on Steam ****** VideoStuff ****** PictureStuff
                            UE brings Math back into my life or i am not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by nkey View Post
                              Hm... Maybe it is somehow possible to create plugin binary which works only one project. What do you think?

In such case I could give compiled plugin to modders.
                              It might be possible but I will have to look into the details of how that would work. If at some point I enable this functionality I will post here for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Luftbauch View Post
                                cool stuff.
                                Thank you Luftbauch !

Comment

Working...
                                X