• Show
Clear All

• replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Rain.jpg
Views:	2075
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	1453885
    Just finished the tutorial. I think koola's weekend project can be my season plan.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Beautiful work as always. It's been a while since I've checked up on this thread. Appreciate the breakdown. =)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Once Again, Thank you very much for sharing

Leave a comment:

• replied
    great as always!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Awesome Koola!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I saw that on twitter and wondered about the ripples. Nice!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi all !

Here is a little breakdown of paved street in the rain I posted on twitter.

First, I created the textures in substance designer.
    I just wanted to test the rain effect so I used the "Roman Street Pavement" substance from SubstanceSource as base (https://source.allegorithmic.com/#/s...ce7678a2747f0a). I simply plugged it in a "water level" node to make a wet version.

For the water ripples effect, I used a substance from Nicolas Wirrmann (http://polycount.com/discussion/comm...omment_2294007) for generating the normal map.
    I haven't found how to export a animation with substance designer so I exported 16 images and made the flipbook in photoshop.

Here is the material in unreal.

The scene setup is really simple, some planes for the floor, walls and the "street lights" (a night street photo plugged in the material emissive channel).
    I used a BoxReflectionCapture for the reflection, a ExponentialHeightFog for a bit of volumetric fog and a PostProcessVolume.

For the lighting, It only comes from the 2 planes with the street photo (the lights are baked).

Then, you just have to add some rain particles (with this material setup).
    The normal map used can be found here /Engine/Functions/Engine_MaterialFunctions02/ExampleContent/Textures/SphereRenderNormalsMap

And voila

Last edited by koola; 03-04-2018, 06:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by koola View Post
    Hey everyone !

Here's a new scene inspired by the Educational Centre in El Chaparral (Alejandro Muñoz Miranda).
    The fun part is that the doors and walls have no diffuse map, just a white value, all the colors come from the lighting.

UE4 - Colors by koola koola, sur Flickr
    I love this scene, I think the colors are tremendous. You mentioned above that you were using a directional light with translucent shadows and bounce cards for the windows. I've been trying to recreate this scene as a lighting study and it has proven immensely challenging. I simply cannot get the translucent shadows to be as rich and vibrant as in your example, I really don't know how you achieved that result.
    Last edited by buttmatrix; 02-27-2018, 03:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello All !
    Koola - it is really pleasure watching Your stuff - very inpirating. I have one question to You. How do You achive such quality of Your movie? You render via Sequencer separated frames ( 4k )? and make a movie in external program ( like Adobe Premiere) ? Be very grateful for Your answer.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello Koola !
    I have a question for you, when you start creating a new substance, do you have a rule of thumb of how much meter your texture is going to represent ? Do you have a fixed texel density that you try to follow every time ?
    Also, and I guess it is deriving from the previous question, what texture resolution are you using for your UE scene ?

Thank you very much !
    Merci beaucoup !

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Where are you getting your information Koola? How are you so far ahead of everyone else with the lighting?

I often see a lot of complaints and critiques of ue4 for the lighting and how things always look glossy and or washed out but you completely destroy that myth.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If I remember correctly (I lost most of my old scenes), I used colored spot lights and bounce cards to simulate the sky light and a Directional light that passes through the colored windows for the sun.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Kiyan View Post
    This looks beautiful, i wonder what type of lights were used to create the colours in this scene, are they area lights? regular spotlights? would love to know if anyone has an idea.
    I think he maybe used colored lights reflecting of bounce cards, not too sure as im very new to unreal so maybe somebody else can help!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by koola View Post
    Hey everyone !

Here's a new scene inspired by the Educational Centre in El Chaparral (Alejandro Muñoz Miranda).
    The fun part is that the doors and walls have no diffuse map, just a white value, all the colors come from the lighting.

https://youtu.be/yZ5iCwsIY78

UE4 - Colors by koola koola, sur Flickr
    This looks beautiful, i wonder what type of lights were used to create the colours in this scene, are they area lights? regular spotlights? would love to know if anyone has an idea.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It is all so beautiful can you marry me?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X