Koola's stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Man... This is great, you surprised us again (I didn't think it could be possible after the Archviz/Lighting thread). You really master the mood on all your scenes. You can see a lot of amazing visuals over there in this forum, but few of them have such a great atmosphere like yours.

Just a question. Do you use Temporal AA? Don't you have trouble getting foliage details with this method when they are moving (wind animations)? Disabling mipmaps on foliage textures helps with the sharpness when they are still, but when they are moving, it gets really ugly...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Found an article about your work Koola! Thought you might like to know

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/43710/...ous/index.html

P.S. I told them it was yours, since they didn't seem to mention it in the article.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by koola View Post
    So, it's time to give some more informations

On performances :

I have absolutely not optimize my scenes, the trees can have less poly, the lods can be tuned better, the quality settings are maxed ... in short, there is lot of room for improvement.
    On my i7-3770 / GTX970, in editor (1080p), I get around 30fps for the forest and mecha scenes and around 60fps for the snow scene.
    What is killing the performance the most is the sun shadows. On "epic" quality, it divide my framerate by two (this is why the snow scene run at 60fps).

On the process :

(I use the 4.7.0 Preview 8)
    I start by making some trees/plants in speedtree. I use trees from the store as a base, do some tweak untill I get something I like.
    I activate the distance fields feature in UE4 (Project Settings - Rendering - Generate Mesh Distance Fields), and import the trees.
    In the static mesh properties I check "Generate Distance Field as if TwoSided".
    For the leaves material, I use the new "Two Sided Foliage" shading model and plug the diffuse texture in the subsurface color slot.

For the lighting, I use a movable sky and sun (no special thing here, I just change the min occlusion in the sky if the AO is too dark).

Concerning the DFGI : It's a great feature but it's "the icing on the cake". I don't use it on the snow scene and it's barely noticable on the mecha scene. The main feature that give good result it's the DFAO.

I totally forgot to say that the mecha scene was inspired by the awesome artist Simon Stålenhag

UE4 - SpeedTree by kooooola, on Flickr

(I hope it's understandable, my english is not very good.^^)
    Totally reminded me about Simon's stuff! You managed to capture the same feeling.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    DFAO does not shadow Landscape Actors correct?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    your work is amazing Koola
    Not only look real but also very emotion

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is probably the best advertisement for Speedtree possible.

Amazing work!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by koola View Post
    Really appreciate the insights into your process, your work continues to astound and inspire me!

And your english is just fine

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thank you so much for sharing.
    Your picture perfect scenes are my biggest inspiration on creating in UE4. Looks like it's HDRI lit, but that isn't the case then?
    Looking forward to more from you.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This looks rather fammiliar.

Leave a comment:

• replied

On performances :

I have absolutely not optimize my scenes, the trees can have less poly, the lods can be tuned better, the quality settings are maxed ... in short, there is lot of room for improvement.
    On my i7-3770 / GTX970, in editor (1080p), I get around 30fps for the forest and mecha scenes and around 60fps for the snow scene.
    What is killing the performance the most is the sun shadows. On "epic" quality, it divide my framerate by two (this is why the snow scene run at 60fps).

On the process :

(I use the 4.7.0 Preview 8)
    I start by making some trees/plants in speedtree. I use trees from the store as a base, do some tweak untill I get something I like.
    I activate the distance fields feature in UE4 (Project Settings - Rendering - Generate Mesh Distance Fields), and import the trees.
    In the static mesh properties I check "Generate Distance Field as if TwoSided".
    For the leaves material, I use the new "Two Sided Foliage" shading model and plug the diffuse texture in the subsurface color slot.

For the lighting, I use a movable sky and sun (no special thing here, I just change the min occlusion in the sky if the AO is too dark).

Concerning the DFGI : It's a great feature but it's "the icing on the cake". I don't use it on the snow scene and it's barely noticable on the mecha scene. The main feature that give good result it's the DFAO.

I totally forgot to say that the mecha scene was inspired by the awesome artist Simon Stålenhag

UE4 - SpeedTree by kooooola, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sir, you amaze me and inspire me to push my work and become as good as you (or better ).This is the quality I want for a game I'm developing in my spare time to really engage the player and like I said, REALLY INSPIRING and motivating. Nothing is out of hands reach, so long as you put forth the effort.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Damnit man, you are awesome on UE 4! Could you maybe do some tutorials as well? I promise I would watch all of them! <333

Leave a comment:

• replied
    First :

Click image for larger version

Name:	1416582229194.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	1066956

Then:

Is that also DFGI koola ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Holy moly that was so detailed :|
    What kind of framerate did you achieve in this scene ? (implying could it be VR usable @75fps)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey everyone,

I've done a new short video with a mecha created by my good friend Viv (https://www.artstation.com/artist/viv).

Last edited by koola; 02-25-2015, 03:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X