No announcement yet.

Sonic Unreal Worlds Open source UE4 Sonic Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is awesome! Will there be plans to add tails as a playable character? There's so much awesomeness and modded sonic action to be had from this!

Comment

Fantastic! I'm glad someone is making this who cares about all the proper details (momentum, plane shifting etc.) rather than just tossing some ring monitors in with a generic platformer controller. I quite like the Super transformation and the modern take on the Sonic 2 particle effect. The springs still look very "sticky" but I assume that's because they're WIP and are guiding the player to a specific destination.
      Senior CEO in Chief of Game Builder Club and Building 3d Game Birds Gameapp Maker Co.

Oldskooler PreDigital CRTify illustrious Patreon

Comment

This is fantastic work, I am surprised you are not selling it on the Unreal market. There was some talk in another thread about this not being possible without core modification, so it's cool to see this done 100% in Blueprints.

Comment

https://github.com/StreakThunderstor...-Unreal-Worlds

Big update to the engine. Its now updated to work in 4.7.2
          I've also put the movement and collision into a loop that solves teleport-into-wall problems.
          I wouldn't think they'd put my little engine on the twitch stream, haha.
          Origin of Storms

Comment

good job!
            Affinity Game Development Thread

Comment

Funny, this already looks like it plays better than the last few generations of sonic games

Comment

Memories...looks great! Really like the change in audio once submerged under water.
                Isaac Nichols
                Game Developer & Music Producer - Threaded Pixel Studios
                Currently working on Drones & Ruins a Sci-Fi twin-stick shooter.

Comment

The left and right sensor seemed to be too large. It caused some abrupt stop during high speed run when going to a small loop. I took the liberty to reduce the left and right sensor scale to 0.4 and bring them 10 uu closer

Comment

Impressive and ooooooh those childhood memories
                    Free Inventory System (BP AND C++ Version): Clicky Clicky
                    Player Structure System (Houses!) (BP): Pew Pew Marketplace Version: Yoink!
                    Howto: Create Dragable UMG Windows: Zoom Zoom

Comment

I've been tweaking the collision a bit (or a lot, maybe)

1. Replaced two sphere sensor into two capsules, which takes turn to detect depending whether the pawn is rolling or not

Click image for larger version

Name:	Collision1.png
Views:	1
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	1071743

2. Inserting a failsafe method to detect the last correct coordinates to prevent wall-hacking glitch. Whenever the collision hits, the pawn will immediately teleport back to the last known good location (the distance is not that far, so you won't even notice it)

Name:	Collision2.png
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	1071744

To-do list : editing the movement so it will first do a capsule trace for any obstacle before attempting to move the pawn, then will move the pawn to the hit location if occured, but like normal if not. I reckon it's a much more effective method

3. Switching the event sequence. Check angles occurs first before checking collision. (might not do anything)

Name:	Collision3.png
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	1071745

4. Heavily overhauls the collision detection. Since it will only be one capsule at a time, a trace for the correct direction is needed. Also adds collision switching. Rolling through a narrow hole is possible

Name:	Collision4.png
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	1071746

Hopefully it can solve most, if not all the high-speed collision problem. At least now Sonic is 'tripping' (abrupt stop on a certain angle when moving fast at low FPS) less. I had to adjust the sensor so it is a bit to the top and tightened it to prevent 'tripping'

Comment

Looking great. Care to add your branch to the github so I can check it out?
                        Origin of Storms

Comment

I updated the github branch to include the collision changes I made myself. Feel free to check them out.

I didn't change any of the collision sensors so it would probably benefit if they were changed/updated.
                          Last edited by Streak Thunderstorm; 04-18-2015, 11:18 AM.
                          Origin of Storms

Comment

A little request, can you update the one on Google as well? I couldn't effectively download the package due to weak internet. The one on github doesn't support resuming on IDM

Comment

If you're still here, May I use the animations and the model?

Comment

How do you buy this? cuz im new.

Comment

Working...
                                X