UE4 Devlog: Procedural City Generation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Are you still working on this? Can you make the source code available so I can work from it?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes and no.

UE4 added a better procedural mesh generation API after I created this project. My existing code places standard mesh with custom rotations and scales to form building geometry. A far better solution now would be to create said geometry in code procedurally. This would allow me to have custom UVs and vastly simplify and optimize the building materials. I don't have time to do this right now, as I am currently busy with other projects.

When I get some respite from current work, I am planning to release this as an asset on the Unity marketplace. Unity has an easier extensibility model, and a more mature marketplace, so I plan to release it there. I've got the basic thing working in Unity. Testing, UI polish and C# API endpoints remain.

So yes, the project served its purpose as an UE4 piece on my portfolio, and is not going to be developed further/published on UE4. But the exact same tech will be ported to Unity and be made available as a paid asset on the store, when I get some time to do so.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Is this dead?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You're the man. Very nice.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I, too, am eagerly awaiting this tool. I plan on having relatively large city maps and would love to use this tool to generate them. Also, the progress you've made just blows my mind. Good job.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    How much will this cost?

Looks like a really good tool.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @HeadClot: The demo unfortunately was artistically limited by my own 3D modelling skills. However, you can thoroughly customize the look of buildings. If you are a programmer, you can take the customization even further by writing your own geometry generation algorithms if you so desire. (Fractal buildings FTW ) I have covered this in a fair amount of detail in Vlog #7: Extensibility FTW.

For anyone who might not have seen the demo, here it is:

and here is the vlog talking a bit more about the demo:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey AproorvaJ -

Glad to hear on the demo of the tool.

On Customization of the buildings - The buildings look rather bland as is.

Will we be able to use our own static meshes for the facades and the like?

If so how? Similar to this?

Just curious,

HeadClot
    Last edited by Mr_SquarePeg; 07-11-2015, 05:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @Sitrec: No plans on interiors, though I am going to add a RoofEmbeddable component to enable users to easily punch rectangular holes in roofs for stairs and such. From my actual experience with this tool, creating interiors by hand is much more flexible, and quite easy.

@HeadClot: I am hard at work on a large-scale demo of the tool. Look forward to a video release later this month.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey ApoorvaJ -

Any news on this? It has been a while since the last VLog.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ApoorvaJ View Post
    New vlog is up, in which I demo a new type of component I added to the system - called the embeddable - which makes it easy to interactively embed things like doors/balconies to buildings.

I have also been working on enabling large scale experiences such as generating large amounts of interesting content procedurally, and controlling the rendering batching of that content to maintain performance. More on that soon.
    Really impressive stuff! Looking forward to seeing more! Any news or plans for interiors?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ApoorvaJ View Post
    New vlog is up, in which I demo a new type of component I added to the system - called the embeddable - which makes it easy to interactively embed things like doors/balconies to buildings.

I have also been working on enabling large scale experiences such as generating large amounts of interesting content procedurally, and controlling the rendering batching of that content to maintain performance. More on that soon.
    Wow Every time I visit this thread you blow my mind.

Keep up the Awesome work!

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ok, changed it. Feel free to PM a Mod if you wish to change the prefix later on.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @eXi: This is most definitely going to be tool for now. *Might* turn into a game some time later

Leave a comment:

Working...
X