Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clouds via ray marching

Hey everyone.
    I am porting a shader to render clouds in UE4.
    It is still in progress about detail lighting.

The method is based on ray marching, and it's source code is shared on Shadertoy.
    https://www.shadertoy.com/view/4dsXWn

I also find there is another great sample about clouds rendering on YouTube.
    It seems that do something special by particle system.
    Maybe we could discuss how to achieve that as well.
    Last edited by Transformers; 12-16-2014, 06:30 AM.

Really nice! Your frame rate scared me though. Is it because of your system or is the shader really that heavy?
    FREE VR Drum Kit Project
    FREE Color LUT Collection
    FREE Physics Driven Spacecraft Project
    FREE GTA Style Vehicle Interaction
    Dynamic DoF(Depth of Field)
    Camera Crossfade

Comment

Looks like they are really laggy, when trying to make many clouds with huge density. That is no very good for optimization. But still awesome!
      [My FREE stuff] Custom Cameras (Stategy, Orbital) | Sticker Note | ESC Inventory System | Pipe Generation (Spline based) | Procedural spline-based Mesh generation | Homing missile
      [My Market stuff] Advanced Aim Component | Lock/lockpick Component | Blueprint-based Key Remapping System

Comment

In FX we would make a few sheets, properly normal mapped and use those to create the volume. Way more optimized and lots of performance save compared to those vids you shared.
        VFX Artist
        Portfolio: Here

Comment

i use my custom blueprint. Basically i baked volumetric clouds in blender i lit them from multiple directions to get useful maps defining density and how much light passes trough
          MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL www.youtube.com/user/piroman665
          PORTFOLIO http://piroman665.cgsociety.org/

Comment

Okay, this is super cool. I've been looking at TrueSky as a means to render fly-through-able clouds, but its fairly clunky to use IMHO. Your system looks a lot more artist driven and customisable.

Comment

Originally posted by Transformers View Post
              I also find there is another great sample about clouds rendering on YouTube.
              It seems that do something special by particle system.
              Maybe we could discuss how to achieve that as well.
              Wait, what? That? It's my vid. My clouds. Pretty simple to tell the truth. I can't imagine no one else did that yet :P

It's got quite heavy impact on the FPS but that's because it uses the NOISE 3D material shader. If you use simple textures it should be fine but won't look that good.

And I was thinking to put that on the Marketplace for a buck or something. But one simple shader with one simple particle system? Really? I gotta figure something more to that.

Here are the clouds in game.
              https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post146975
              Last edited by Z-enzyme; 12-16-2014, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Dang man. That's really good stuff. People might be complaining, but it looks like it's got potential, I don't suppose you've got a way to control shape and stuff like that? I wouldn't mind looking into Terragen style fakery with a cloud system like this. How easy is it to implement into unreal as is?

Comment

That's very cool, usually that quality takes a very long time in a 3D program.

Comment

Looks very good, even if it has a huge performance hit it could work well for cinematics since they record frame by frame.

Twitter - @TheCSilverman

Ancient Cistern | Advanced Material Pack Ed. 1 | Advanced Material Pack Ed. 2 | Advanced Material Pack Ed. 3 | Texture Pack Ed. 1 | Container Pack Ed. 1 | Road Sign Pack Ed. 1

Comment

Originally posted by Jacky View Post
                      Really nice! Your frame rate scared me though. Is it because of your system or is the shader really that heavy?
                      Originally posted by AlFlakky View Post
                      Looks like they are really laggy, when trying to make many clouds with huge density. That is no very good for optimization. But still awesome!
                      The shader is too heavy because it takes too many loops to slice the volume of clouds with lighting.

Originally posted by DieByZer0 View Post
                      In FX we would make a few sheets, properly normal mapped and use those to create the volume. Way more optimized and lots of performance save compared to those vids you shared.
                      It's a better way for performance. I will try that for gaming.

Originally posted by Piroman View Post
                      i use my custom blueprint. Basically i baked volumetric clouds in blender i lit them from multiple directions to get useful maps defining density and how much light passes trough
                      The scattering looks beautiful!

Originally posted by Crow87 View Post
                      Okay, this is super cool. I've been looking at TrueSky as a means to render fly-through-able clouds, but its fairly clunky to use IMHO. Your system looks a lot more artist driven and customisable.
                      I also view the TrueSky demo on YouTube but haven't a chance to use it.

Originally posted by Z-enzyme View Post
                      Wait, what? That? It's my vid. My clouds. Pretty simple to tell the truth. I can't imagine no one else did that yet :P

It's got quite heavy impact on the FPS but that's because it uses the NOISE 3D material shader. If you use simple textures it should be fine but won't look that good.

And I was thinking to put that on the Marketplace for a buck or something. But one simple shader with one simple particle system? Really? I gotta figure something more to that.

Here are the clouds in game.
                      https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post146975
                      Expecting your contents on Marketplace!
                      I also follow your tips to use 3D noise texture in the shader with particle. It could work!

Here are screenshots.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	ParticleVolume.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	1064198

Name:	ParticleClouds.jpg
Size:	381.0 KB
ID:	1064199

Originally posted by Mugluck View Post
                      Dang man. That's really good stuff. People might be complaining, but it looks like it's got potential, I don't suppose you've got a way to control shape and stuff like that? I wouldn't mind looking into Terragen style fakery with a cloud system like this. How easy is it to implement into unreal as is?
                      I update the file " Random.usf " in the engine for noise volume, then make a custom node to call the function in the shader.
                      It might take times to familiar with hooking.

Originally posted by CharlestonS View Post
                      Looks very good, even if it has a huge performance hit it could work well for cinematics since they record frame by frame.
                      Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
                      That's very cool, usually that quality takes a very long time in a 3D program.
                      It's my purpose to render cinematics.
                      Last edited by Transformers; 12-17-2014, 10:10 AM.

Comment

It's my purpose to render cinematics.
                        Looks great Transformer. I'm also making a cinematic and was wondering if something like this could be used to create clouds on a globe(sphere)?
                        Development Thread
                        Pandora's Box - A small 2in1 project about big ideas.

Comment

Hi transformer!

Im working in a Weather System, and right now im suffering with clouds in Particle System. They are Slow, and cant cast shadows over map since, real clouds have altitude greater than 10000 units.
                          Im realy apreciate if You can share this material shader.
                          My Project is on my signature.
                          YouTube:Coruja Games
                          Twitter:@_corujagames
                          Facebook:@corujagames
                          Instagram:@_corujagames

Comment

Originally posted by Godling View Post
                            Looks great Transformer. I'm also making a cinematic and was wondering if something like this could be used to create clouds on a globe(sphere)?
                            http://www.futuredatalab.com/volumetricloud/
                            This page shows details of volumetric clouds and cloud rendering.

Originally posted by reneberwanger View Post
                            Hi transformer!

Im working in a Weather System, and right now im suffering with clouds in Particle System. They are Slow, and cant cast shadows over map since, real clouds have altitude greater than 10000 units.
                            Im realy apreciate if You can share this material shader.
                            My Project is on my signature.
                            Your project looks useful for scene preparation.
                            Here is the shader of my simple 3D noise for particle clouds. Don't forget turn on "Cast Shadow" in detail panel of emitter.

Name:	NoiseVolume.jpg
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	1064429

Comment

Your project looks useful for scene preparation.
                              Here is the shader of my simple 3D noise for particle clouds. Don't forget turn on "Cast Shadow" in detail panel of emitter.
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]20571[/ATTACH]
                              How is your Particle Emmiter? Is a simple plane?
                              YouTube:Coruja Games
                              Twitter:@_corujagames
                              Facebook:@corujagames
                              Instagram:@_corujagames

Comment

Working...
                              X