No announcement yet.

DOGEcrash - A dystopian cyberpunk procedural death labyrinth rocket jumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More screenshots that I don't have time to explain right now!

Senior CEO in Chief of Game Builder Club and Building 3d Game Birds Gameapp Maker Co.

Oldskooler PreDigital CRTify illustrious Patreon

Comment

Always great to see an update on your game. I totally understand about being busy. I have been finding it difficult to find much time to hang out on the forums lately.
      Engine Support Technician

Comment

So glad to see people are still interested! This project has gained enough positive feedback and snowballed so hard that I'm considering making this a "full" commercial release that I work on over the next several months, instead of switching gears to something new and having to mooch off my girlfriend for another year.

I'm going to try and post more bitesize updates with explanations again.

So recently I improved the rocket smoke (again). I forget why I decided to do this. At first I tried experimenting with a subsurface shading model:

This looked great! But it had several practical issues. The lights didn't really pierce through the smoke from behind like I expected, and the individual sprite silhouettes were too well defined in motion for something that was supposed to look volumetric. It was also more expensive and didn't add much hue that the BaseColor couldn't more easily. The spherical particle normals looked excellent, but were a little too spherical, and clipped the sprite edges that extended past the sphere's boundaries.

I tried going for a more abstract look with some emissive warmth:

This didn't make for as pretty screenshots, but was much nicer in motion.

Eventually though I tried baking the normals ahead of time in Substance Designer. I blended the normal map for a sphere with a tiny bit of normals generated using the BaseColor as a heightmap, which resolved the spherical clipping. Add some black-body heat simulation to the emissive channel and we get the best of both worlds!

Senior CEO in Chief of Game Builder Club and Building 3d Game Birds Gameapp Maker Co.

Comment

Yeah, great updates as usual!
          [Gamedev programmer at Darewise (Paris) - We are hiring]
          UE4 Git LFS 2.x Source Control Plugin 2.14-beta for UE4.23 - (v1 integrated by default since UE4.7)
          UE4 Plastic SCM Source Control Plugin 1.4.6 for UE4.23 - (integrated by default in Beta status since UE4.24)

Comment

Holy smoke trails, Batman! Those look really awesome.
            Engine Support Technician

Comment

Work's still puttering along, big update coming soon. Here's a 1440p wallpaper in the meanwhile in case you needed one:

Comment

Hey! I'm sorry I haven't been around. I've been sad because of Gamers (in fact I panicked for 5 solid days about posting here before actually doing it) But I've been working! And I'm working toward that alpha release specifically, which keeps getting more and more impressive imho. The parkour movement and full UI is being worked on right now in particular, and the building generator is way better than the last you've seen of it. Exciting times ahead.

Oh and here's a work in progress snippet of the level 2 music:

https://soundcloud.com/sfthewolf/clo...ing-feb-05-wip

bee tee tubs @sfthewolf is now my personal account. Work stuff will be at @gameappmakerco with a much higher signal to noise ratio.

Comment

Your broken glass effect breakdown was really helpful to me, so thanks a lot!

If you don't mind explaining it, how did you manage to transition the effect in/out? I'm experimenting with something similar, but the effect is kind of jarring as it just pops in from nowhere.
                  Last edited by zerofiftyone; 02-11-2015, 09:32 PM.
                  Twitter: @zerofiftyone_
                  Button Frenzy store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/454630

Comment

Working...
                  X