No announcement yet.

DOGEcrash - A dystopian cyberpunk procedural death labyrinth rocket jumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is coming along nicely! Just a suggestion, you should make the buildings fade into the flame below them, rather than stop abruptly above it. It looks a little odd like that at the moment. Other than that, great progress. I just love the atmosphere of this thing. =) Can't wait to see video of the gameplay.

Simulacrum Game | Play The Alpha | Caldera Entertainment | Twitter | ArtStation

Comment

Thank you for all of the cool videos and screenshots you have been updating this thread with! Looking forward to gameplay footage.

Also, as a side note, seeing all of the interesting things folks can create with UE4 is such a huge inspiration to our team. Hearing conversations between devs discussing the WIP projects that people are posting about has been fantastic, and this one has one come up a few times while I have been in earshot. Very cool, and very different stuff!

Keep the updates coming and godspeed! =)
      Jonathan Taylor - producer @ Epic games
      https://twitter.com/EPICJonT

Comment

Hey SF,

The screenshots and video look outstanding!! I love the cyberpunk feeling of both the visual and audio aspects. Keep up the great work!

-Sean

Comment

I can't tell you how gratifying it is to hear such positivity from you guys in particular! I remember that growing up, games like Unreal seemed like they came from this fantasy land a million miles away and were part of a magical world of creativity that I'd never get to be a part of. Knowing that something I've made has been so much as mentioned around the Epic offices gives me this immense sense of fulfillment and motivation that I can't properly put to words.

So as for progress, I've decided after a lot of failed experiments with the grappling hook that it just wasn't a very good mechanic, at least for a project of this scope. I'm reintroducing the jump button in its place, and adding the ability to triangle jump off of walls. This fits a lot better with the objective of "kissing" as many surfaces as possible anyway, and removes some awkward balancing issues with stacking upward velocity.

As such the gameplay still isn't ready to show yet, but I tossed a demo of the jammer effect together with some ugly iMovie transitions (headphones warning):

I agree 100% about the bottoms of the buildings by the way. I'm going to add something to visually represent them going down pseudo-infinitely but not until I have the level generator finalized, in case that affects it somehow.

Nothing new being shown here but here's the batch of screenshots I posted for #ScreenshotSaturday. This is the same vertical slice of city being shown each time with no editor-made lighting changes between shots!

Senior CEO in Chief of Game Builder Club and Building 3d Game Birds Gameapp Maker Co.

Oldskooler PreDigital CRTify illustrious Patreon

Comment

I think I need a shower after participating in that Twitch stream chat.

Anyway, not much to show visually this update, but the movement system is completely functional now! The walljumps already blend really nicely with rocket usage, and are significantly more challenging to use well than the "get out of jail free card" the grappling hook provided.

Rocket jumps work basically as you'd expect with two exceptions:

- The force applied is constant within a radius with no falloff, unlike Quake derivatives.
            - You can't (currently) jump while standing on a horizontal surface (It didn't add any meaningful depth).

Wall jumps launch you in the direction you're holding on the XY plane + a slight upward kick. They also cancel Z velocity. This completely changes how the player moves from earlier builds. It has way more of the momentum-driven feel I was going for, encouraging launching yourself at walls with shallow angles so that you can kick off them and gain more speed, while also allowing you to 180 without too huge a penalty if needed. You also have to work for your height, making skimming the top of the traffic (kill volume) much more intense.

Both mechanics run on an energy system now, which recharges over time. You can burn a number of walljumps all at once to run up a vertical surface, but you'd better be confident you won't need to cancel a lethal fall right after!

I made one other change which was really subtle but still had a huge visual impact; I added a directional light roughly the colour of the sun pointing toward the sun's general direction rather than away from it. This really put a bow on the two-toned look I was going for, and made it less dependent on flattering view angles.

Senior CEO in Chief of Game Builder Club and Building 3d Game Birds Gameapp Maker Co.

Comment

But where is doge? I don't see it
              Gerke Max Preussner | UE4 Programming Consultant

Logo
              Follow me on Github | Goodreads | Linkedin | Pinterest | SlideShare | Twitter.
              Chat with me as gmpreussner on Discord.

Comment

Doge is projected onto the buildings by the jammers from what I have seen of the footage.

He is there, staring into your soul Max. He is always there. =P

Comment

Kabosu's bewildering gaze does in fact grace the walls of flickering skyscrapers at the moment, but in the final product she'll probably just appear on coins metaphorically spewing out of the locations you're vamping currency from.

Honestly I kind of regret having the meme reference in here because it's a stupid unclever macro that the internet has driven into the ground and I don't really want to be seen as invested in it. It made more sense to use in the context of the original little 7 day joke project. That said I do enjoy Dogecoin's particular satire of irrational crypto enthusiasm by means of it appropriating exactly such a fad, so it still works to frame the surreal futuristic thieving premise.

Anyway, I took a short break from my day job of arguing with people on Twitter to finally implement the security drones. These ones don't jam you or passively display propaganda, but rather send messages of the "bullet" kind if you catch my drift (they shoot you).

First step was making them track the player. It was very simple to check for overlaps with a collision sphere that only cares about pawns, and then alter the drone's rotation to look straight at the target. Aggro is lost when the player leaves the sphere. They level out again after by interpolating their pitch and roll to 0. Easy in Blueprint!

After some initial experiments with more "Blood Dragon" looking projectiles, I settled on a modified version of the ShooterGame assault rifle's beam emitter.

I found it very interesting and sad that it started to feel like a "real game" only once there was some direct form of existential threat. Quite the comment on the state of the industry.

At the end of the day I finally fixed the explosion lighting which never really worked properly. Switching away from the inverse squared falloff gave me a lot more control and made the speculars less ridiculously bright at lower roughness values.

I wondered at first if dynamic shadows were really necessary, but in testing they turned out to give important visual cues regarding depth and blocking volumes.

I ran into an interesting issue where distant surfaces were being lit by explosions but not nearby ones. I fixed(?) this by pushing the point light on the explosion blueprint forward a few hundred units, then making sure the explosions were always rotated to match their hit normals.

Will video demo the shooter drones tomorrow! They look much scarier in motion.
                  Last edited by SFtheWolf; 05-10-2014, 02:46 AM. Reason: obama

Comment

This looks very cool yo. I like the idea of mixing cyberpunk with rocket jumping
                    Godz for UT '99 / UT 2003

Comment

I could just post more screenshots showing off how pretty the drones look

BUT HOW ABOUT SOME GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE INSTEAD?

The player is currently invincible and the game's actual primary objective is still missing, but this should give you a good idea of what the movement looks like.

It's all really taking shape now! I'm super excited.

Comment

Looks like fun! Was wondering where the video footage was
                        Godz for UT '99 / UT 2003

Comment

This is looking better and better with each new screenshot and video. I can really start to see what you meant about playing w/ distance and perspective in the gameplay footage.

Thank you again for keeping the updates coming! =)

Comment

Incredible work! This is coming along very nicely. The music/atmosphere works well together. (What is the song by the way?) Keep it up! =)

Comment

I'm so glad people are liking this so much! I promise that my first "real" project is going to be much bigger and much better

The music is a piece I wrote specifically for this game. With it I was trying to emulate Perturbator's "80s Darksynth" style (NSFW due to thumbnails with girl nipples). I'll put the full version up for download when it's finalized!

Speaking of audio, I put together a quick demo of the nightmarish sounds that two of the drone types make:

The first is made from real quadrotor noises; A close mic of the motors operating without the sounds of the propellers or turbulence, found here: http://freesound.org/people/Eelke/sounds/198235/

The second is based on a recording of raw data from a SNES cartridge being played through the audio output, found here: http://www.freesound.org/people/KatHakaku/sounds/35068/

Comment

The sounds are great, could use a little more bass but that's just my humble opinion. I really like the first one. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Working...
                                X