Alice in Tokyo Wonderland - Blueprint Only Action Hack n' Slash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subbing this thread right now.
    You're making a very good job with the game. Keep up the amazing work.
    You have my vote on greenlight
    By the way love the weapon's size the most
    "sic parvis magna"
    @Meguido

Comment

Originally posted by Meguido View Post
      Subbing this thread right now.
      You're making a very good job with the game. Keep up the amazing work.
      You have my vote on greenlight
      By the way love the weapon's size the most
      Thanks...We need it on Greenlight...really slowing down there so it helps a lot...thanks...

I suppose we'll just keep it going...

Summary is using Anim Notifies to signal when to move to the next animation if you've pressed the button during the previous attack. Also a reset combo if you've not pressed the attack.
      Last edited by President; 08-10-2016, 02:38 PM.

Streams: www.Twitch.tv/BlinkTheory
      Patreon: www.Patreon.com/BlinkTheory

Comment

This is very interesting, thank you for the tutorials. What I struggle the most is handling the weapon impact with the enemies, how they react to them and making the hits feel powerful and fun.

Comment

Originally posted by draquod View Post
          This is very interesting, thank you for the tutorials. What I struggle the most is handling the weapon impact with the enemies, how they react to them and making the hits feel powerful and fun.
          I use an Enum to state which kind of damage my enemies should take and when the collision overlap happens....the rest is in the animations to make the hits feel powerful and fun...

The next video (this week) will have the enemies taking damage from traces...so I'll go into detail soon....

Comment

Moving on to more fun things like Enemies....

Summary is just a Float that you minus damage from to know when an enemy is dead....then kill them...

Also to add Floats and what not to Events just click on the event and in the details panel Click new...Just like adding any variable really...
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	1060373
            "New" button is bottom left
            Last edited by President; 08-10-2016, 02:38 PM.

Comment

the other part of Hitting enemies....

Summary - Create a capsule to handle the collision on your weapons....Create Functions to turn on the collision when needed and send the info to change the health of an enemy on the Capsules overlap event.

The "Clear Hit Array" function I have before the Traces are turned on simply removes all entries from the array...example below...

Name:	Capture.JPG
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	1060425
              Last edited by President; 08-10-2016, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Awesome Action Sequences President! I'm digging that Sword. I always wanted to make a hardcore Action Game. I'm working with Blueprints Only so, I'm keeping my eyes this one daily. Just Amazing.
                HeadlessStudios.com - S P A G H E T T I: Ninja Swords, Guns & Monsters & Other S**t! - Join Our Discord

Comment

Nice dude, really nice. Paying attention to the feel of the moves and the impact of the attacks just based on video, it's hard to tell but it looks good. Really cool. Actually hard to get it right. I can't play to feel how it plays but it looks like fun for sure..
                  Ninja Arcade - UE4 - Forum Thread -- Ninja Arcade - UE4 - Demo v0.02a

Comment

Update time....
                    Didn't work on too much these week as I've doing the shipping for the Tokyo Wonderland Comic Book....but still managed to try out the Lock On Decal and Fresnel to make the Locked on Target stand out more....

Name:	LockDecal (13).jpg
Size:	780.9 KB
ID:	1060459

Originally posted by TechLord View Post
                    Awesome Action Sequences President! I'm digging that Sword. I always wanted to make a hardcore Action Game. I'm working with Blueprints Only so, I'm keeping my eyes this one daily. Just Amazing.
                    Thanks Tech... Great work on your end as well...if memory serves (and it doesn't always) you've some Maze work that I was digging....I have the Wonderland Card Maze to create later in this game and I certainly liked your approach. Anyways feel free to ask whatever questions you need...I wouldn't be able to make this game if it weren't for awesome people like you sharing awesome ideas and approaches to problems. Thanks for the kind words....

Originally posted by Obihb View Post
                    Nice dude, really nice. Paying attention to the feel of the moves and the impact of the attacks just based on video, it's hard to tell but it looks good. Really cool. Actually hard to get it right. I can't play to feel how it plays but it looks like fun for sure..
                    Thanks Obihb....feels like a dirty little secret for us game developers on how many hours we spend just playing our own games for the kicks....so for sure I'm just staring at all the things I don't like in it but yeah it's a blast right now...really need a new enemy though which is what I'll be working on next....after that I'll likely be able to put a demo together so hopefully I can get your opinion on some things....

Comment

Sorry for the hold up on the AI video...I wanted to wait until after the AI Twitch (in 12 hours) to see if I'll be changing how my AI is handled...
                      otherwise I've been working on new a new level...It'll be our Vertical Slice...we've a lot of placeholders and it'll be a great change of pace to bring some things up to their game ready version....
                      anyways... Card Ninja's....

Name:	CardNinjsa.jpg
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	1061621

Name:	CN.jpg
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	1061622

I work super loose and do most of it in the modeling but since the Concept Art (if those sketches can be called that) comes from me I don't need a bunch of details to know what I meant...so should have more people to beat up soon other than the Kendo Guy...and I'll get the AI video up soon......

Comment

Thank you for the blueprints details
                        The game is coming along nicely, and i like the ninja card design , it's a good inspiration from Alice in Wonderland.

Comment

Great combat and animations in general. This looks like a really fun game with great aesthetics. Look forward to playing.

Comment

The relationship between Parent/Child Blueprints....

Summary: just some base level knowledge on Parent/Child Blueprints....I'm sure there's a ton more you can learn about them....But still super useful for creating games and saving time. Create 1 brain for all your enemies in the Parent class and finalize the brain in the Child Class saving you from 1000 copy and pastes....

Originally posted by Galeon View Post
                            Thank you for the blueprints details
                            The game is coming along nicely, and i like the ninja card design , it's a good inspiration from Alice in Wonderland.
                            Agreed Galeon, I really look forward to the next set of places and enemies we're moving on to....it's a lot more Wonderland feeling....so it'll show of the mixing of Japan and Wonderland better than the previous places have....

Originally posted by Steve Hardister View Post
                            Great combat and animations in general. This looks like a really fun game with great aesthetics. Look forward to playing.
                            Thanks Steve, We started with the combat as it's the most important and have a lot more to improve on as all the animations thus far are just placeholders....It'll be a lot better very shortly as we start moving into finalizing plenty....
                            I look forward to you playing it as well....

For those checking out the video if there are any questions of problems let me know...Thanks.
                            Last edited by President; 08-10-2016, 02:36 PM.

Comment

And Enemies that can Seek and DESTROY!!!...not really but they seek and attack Alice....

Summary : A lot of stuff we did in previous videos, just in the MyCharacter(Alice) Blueprint....A reset that's called in Animations or on Landed... We set up a Nav Mesh Bounds so that the enemy can figure out how to navigate to the player so that they may hit them. Once within range they Attack Alice by turning on Collision set through the Anim Notifies... Cast to the Character to let them know they've been hit and how much life to lose....A lot "more of the same"....but it works for now....

Let me know if you've any questions or concerns....Thanks....
                              Last edited by President; 08-10-2016, 02:36 PM.

Comment

This is fantastic work and thank you so much for all the videos! You have my vote! I look forward to more updates and vids!

Comment

Working...
                                X