Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Landscape/Enviroment wip (heavenly inspired by The Witcher 3 demo videos)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kuro1n View Post
    So you apply foliage depending on the landscape layer right but it doesn't update if you draw? Either way, nice job.
    Thx, the foliage keep updating with sculpting terrain but sadly not with associated layers. Yes, i set the foliage to paint only on specific layers. For example: I have set up 3 different rough noise maps above in different extra layers. On this way i can place things like little rocks, bushes or smal trees randomly.

Comment

One screen more for today .

Click image for larger version

Name:	w3e_13.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	1057420

Comment

The grass meshes look very nice! I also like the bright and saturated colors (in the foreground^^) Keep us posted.

Cheers!
        Check out UNREAL 4 Lighting Academy
        https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ng-like-that-)

Comment

Originally posted by maik2m View Post
          Was able to get some thing of texture blending in distance running. Quiet happy with the texture for now.
          It looks cool- though I don't quite understand, can you explain what you mean by that? You mean you are blending a different set of textures with the landscape based on distance?

Comment

Thank you.

Originally posted by TimeSpirit View Post
            It looks cool- though I don't quite understand, can you explain what you mean by that? You mean you are blending a different set of textures with the landscape based on distance?
            Yes . My starting point for this is realy simple atm (mostly added some things to the stylised demo material) but you can use this too to fake details like lakes or forests. There are much, much more things you can do with it.
            I use a big tex from wm2 but i think you can use another set of detail textures to fake things like grass or bushes or use a panning texture to fake wind sweeping along the fields. Arrrr... endlees possibilities

Name:	w3e_14.JPG
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	1057475
            Last edited by SpunkyBeat; 10-05-2014, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by maik2m View Post
              Thank you.

Yes . My starting point for this is realy simple atm (mostly added some things to the stylised demo material) but you can use this too to fake details like lakes or forests. There are much, much more things you can do with it.
              I use a big tex from wm2 but i think you can use another set of detail textures to fake things like grass or bushes or use a panning texture to fake wind sweeping along the fields. Arrrr... endlees possibilities

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13376[/ATTACH]
              Ah cool that's what I thought you meant I just wasn't sure- where does the material go from there, blended with your diffuse?

Comment

Originally posted by TimeSpirit View Post
                Ah cool that's what I thought you meant I just wasn't sure- where does the material go from there, blended with your diffuse?
                No, it goes directly (after the switch) in Base Color. The detail textures are pluged in the lerp and switch.

Comment

Made some quick big shapes to get a better sense for scale. I set myself to an enormus project. I know, doing the hole thing is nearly impossible for one person. Because of this i will focus on a smaller area first. Like the following.

Critique and questions always welcome.

Name:	w3e_15.JPG
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	1057531

Comment

Do you have a top view of the map where you can see the settlements and road routes?

If I was you I would mimic a real remote area because everything has to make sense.

You can extract heightmaps from Google Earth of a small area and work from that, Satellite view will help you get the foliage and color variation right.

Swiss Alps and Austria in general have plenty of amazing places to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Errvald View Post
                      Do you have a top view of the map where you can see the settlements and road routes?

If I was you I would mimic a real remote area because everything has to make sense.

You can extract heightmaps from Google Earth of a small area and work from that, Satellite view will help you get the foliage and color variation right.

Swiss Alps and Austria in general have plenty of amazing places to use.
                      Hey, thanks for the tip. Haven't tryed to export from google earth yet. Using a real top down view should be a big, big help. Sometime i use a proc called microdem, in wich you can open and convert DEM's.

After some work in ue4 i reimported my terrain to worldmaschine to add some things to it and generat new erosions. Extracted some maps with different color overlay seetings. Blended them and use them in ue4 as color information for detailtextures.

Anyone get a foliage tint running based on layers? Tryed it but for me it works only with a big top down texture from my landscape. Would be cool if i could link it to painting layers.

Anyway. Here is the new heightmap. what do you think?

Name:	W3e_01_new.jpg
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	1057685

Name:	W3e_02_new.jpg
Size:	329.8 KB
ID:	1057686

Name:	W3e_03_new.jpg
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	1057687
                      Last edited by SpunkyBeat; 10-11-2014, 09:08 AM.

Comment

new heightmap is awesome. wish i could get my textures to blend so nicely.. back to the material editor i go :P awesome work on the terrain

Comment

Like the last image

Comment

Originally posted by S3Scrappy View Post
                            new heightmap is awesome. wish i could get my textures to blend so nicely.. back to the material editor i go :P awesome work on the terrain
                            Originally posted by Errvald View Post
                            Like the last image
                            Glad you like this starting point. Think as next i export some big mountain meshes from worldmaschine for a better vista.

@S3Scrappy You are not the only one which like like the blending so i have done an other thread with my basic material notes. Maybee it is a help for you too

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...573#post162573

Comment

Made new vista mountains. I'm not sure with the lightning because my screens aren't good calibrated . Otherwise it is not so importend atm. What do you think?

Name:	W3e_05_new.jpg
Size:	383.5 KB
ID:	1057764

Maik

Comment

Made new grass wich fits and blends lot better with my textures. Added some roughness masks (snow spec) for the vista mountains and changed the day time a bit.

Name:	W3e_06_new.jpg
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	1057863

Comment

Working...
                                X