No announcement yet.

Allison Road - Survival Horror

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks koldkam! and yes, she is. AI and animations are in progress as we speak

ikifenix: i know, thanks.

krautpotato: thanks! in motion this looks way creepier actually
    Unreal Forum Thread
    Allison Road on Twitter
    Allison Road Facebook page

Comment

oh and check this out

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	1068457

that was sooo cool today haha. <3
      even if short-lived
      Unreal Forum Thread
      Allison Road on Twitter

Comment

This is looking amazing Chris! Love Lily so far.

I have a few questions directed at your current pipeline. I am curious what 3D modelling App you are using for Lily and your environment? Also you mentioned Substance I believe you are using for texturing, is that still the case and how do you like it? Are there any other programs you are currently working with in your pipeline pre-UE4 import?

Thanks for your time, I favorited this post so I can watch your progress! Keep up the awesome work!

-Paul

Comment

hi paul!
          thanks a lot, appreciated

to answer your questions:
          right now my pre-UE4 pipeline is:

-modo for the environment modelling (I just really really like that program for modelling. smooth as hell )
          -mixamo fuse for Lily's basemesh. I have to say that model was pretty hmmm ..meh.. but the topology was really good and it comes fully UV'd, which is a big plus when you're testing
          -maya to break up the mesh and adjust the UVs
          -zbrush for Lily's proper anatomy and high-res details
          -marvelous designer for her "clothes"
          -maya & Epic's free ART tool for rigging and skinning
          -initially Substance for a short while but then changed to Photoshop for all my texturing work.

for me personally importing Substance files into UE4 was a big pain in the a** and if you don't actually import the Substance but instead only the final output image you might as well just create your texture in Photoshop. If you don't import the actual Substance I really don't see the benefit of using it.

also I can only use all the programs because we have them at work hehe; pretty pricey stuff. In theory you could literally get by with only Photoshop and Maya and maybe Zbrush.

hope that helps!

take care,
          chris
          Unreal Forum Thread
          Allison Road on Twitter

Comment

Thanks for the quick response Chris!

One more quick question. How was it diving into VR Dev even with your first game project? I am just getting started as an Indie Dev and I keep looking at VR going "Should I start with it?". What are your thoughts and experience with jumping into game dev for the first time and soon after adopting VR and a DK2 into that project?

Thanks again Chris!

-Paul

Comment

Looks awesome, man!

Sadly I'm probably too much of a wuss to play the game, but I'll pick it up anyway whenever it comes out.
              check my blog - cybereality.com

Comment

thanks cyber
                and yeah, stop being a p*ssy! you can do it B-) If you make it through the game I'll send you a cyber cookie
                btw are you the same cyber who'd moderating over in the oculus forum??

@paul:

that's cool man! what are you planning to do for your first game? shooter? horror? fps? third-person? I'm curious

I find it's super fun making a game actually. I mean if you look at the first page of this thread and you see the very first UE4 import of the untextured hallway.. and then compare it to the latest screenshot; seeing that develop is a really great experience.
                I have to say, though, that it is quite strenuous.. like physically. since I'm working a full-time job it's like having another job. I hardly ever make it to bed before 1.30am and I have to get back up at around 8am. so yeah.. sometimes it's really really tough. BUT still great fun

regarding VR:

I have to say that I honestly can't quite answer yet.
                simply diving into VR wasn't a big deal at all, because UE4 comes oculus ready out of the box. I recently changed the game over to the VR template and with the update to 4.7 you can literally click 'VR preview' in the editor and you're in DK2 mode straight away.

I actually didnt test the game in VR for the first few months, simply because I was waiting for my DK2 to arrive and when I did for the first time I was really glad that I had modelled everything to real world measurements. If anything is off in your 3D models you will see it immediately in 3D. like literally down to the tiniest thing.
                for example I have some wine glasses in the kitchen sink and the stem was too thin. like in normal 2D you could hardly tell, but in 3D it was immediately obvious that they'd break in an instance since they looked paper-thin. so I had to fix that.

oh and another thing I found out is that normal maps don't work. like AT ALL, except at a distance or for small objects.
                for the outside wall of the building I decided to use tesselation/displacement instead of normal maps after doing some tests with bump maps.

--
                the whole VR thing is a little tricky right now in my opinion, because it's still really early days.
                Right now you need to hit 75fps stable on DK2 and for Crescent Bay it will be 90fps.
                if you watch this Youtube video by the Epic guys

there are tons of limitations they had to put on their demo to make it even run at 90fps.

I think what that means is that once the consumer version of Oculus Rift is out (or the valve headset for that matter) only a select few folks with high-end Gfx hardware will be able to play games with it at that particular point in time.
                obviously everyone will upgrade their cards at some point in the future, but at release I think there'll only be a handful of people who can actually run these games at 90fps.
                Last edited by HSbF6; 03-15-2015, 09:23 AM.
                Unreal Forum Thread
                Allison Road on Twitter

Comment

Very interesting Chris. Thanks for the reply.

As for me, originally I was considering a narrative heavy survival horror, as I love horror, especially the ones with good stories and twists mixed in with the scares. I have been thinking about a medium to express myself narratively that would be satisfying and after much much consideration I landed on gaming. Writing is all well and good and I love doing it, but having someone just read my stories or dialogue off a page just isn't enough, I want to show them. So I started leaning more towards film, but the limitations cost wise of a solo indie guy doing a decent film in a genre that is applicable to the story quickly surpassed that of my capability. As a long time gamer I thought for a long time about if I wanted to get into games, but once UE4 and its amazing visuals came out last year at such an affordable price I have been blown away. I think now is the time that Indies really have the tools to make amazing looking games and not just stylistic games.

Given all that I am just at the early stages of my journey into learning how to properly solidify a pipeline for myself that I can afford and start working more full time on learning some of the tools to eventually iterate some of my game ideas and narratives.

I recently just got back from my first ever GDC and it was an amazing experience, I got to know some fantastic people and also got a feel for what it is like to be Indie and what to expect in that regard. Also I got a good feel for some of the current Indie games that are in development or just released and also saw which ones won awards and what type of narrative and gameplay they did to warrant that reaction.

As for VR, this year GDC seemed heavily involved in the development and eventual release of VR as a new market and it got me thinking in terms of games released for a new product that there is less competition and more chance to make your mark so to say when there is a limited game library for new hardware. So I am toying around with the idea in my head of jumping into VR and developing a more dialogue heavy narrative experience. Like living a movie with gameplay, but we will see, not sure yet.

Anyways that's my little story so you know more about me Chris, I look forward to further details of your game and any tips you might have.

-Paul

Comment

@HSbF6: Yes, I'm the same cyber. And I hope that cyber-cookie has rainbow sprinkles!!!
                    check my blog - cybereality.com

Comment

paul, very interesting insight indeed
                      well whatever you decide to do in the end I wish you good luck and if you have any questions please shout!

cyber:
                      ah cool! welcome over here
                      and yes, of course! rainbow sprinkles and a special unicorn wrapper just for you!

Name:	welcome-to-the-internet.jpg
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	1070451
                      Unreal Forum Thread
                      Allison Road on Twitter

Comment

Oh man I am looking forward to this. Amazing modelling skills!

Comment

ayooo. silent hills reportedly got canned :| that sucks! I was really looking forward to that. I think especially the rumored morpheus support would have been a total blast. hmm.

I just wanted to quickly say that Allison Road on the other hand is still very much alive lol.
                          Actually the game made big progress in terms of AI and functionality over the last few weeks and I'll show some new footage shortly.
                          I might show some ingame screenshots beforehand, but I'm not sure about that yet. it's time for some gameplay

Ta
                          chris
                          Unreal Forum Thread
                          Allison Road on Twitter

Comment

hey guys!
                            since we sit in front of a computer all day, I thought I'd share some pictures of my wife and I making the logo for my game;

just like Allison Road is going to be old-school, I figured why not make the logo the old fashioned way too... away from photoshop haha.
                            was great fun!

cheers,
                            chris

Name:	1a.jpg
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	1075670Click image for larger version

Name:	2a.jpg
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	1075671Click image for larger version

Name:	3a.jpg
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	1075672

Name:	4a.jpg
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	1075673Click image for larger version

Name:	5a.jpg
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	1075674Click image for larger version

Name:	6a.jpg
Size:	283.1 KB
ID:	1075675

Name:	7a.jpg
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	1075676

and the final logo

Name:	8a.jpg
Size:	393.7 KB
ID:	1075677
                            Unreal Forum Thread
                            Allison Road on Twitter

Comment

Hi all!
                              Here are some new Allison Road screenshots; I worked quite a bit more on the garden and exterior;
                              Also currently trying really hard to get a new gameplay video together by the end of may; stay tuned

Have a lovely weekend @ll
                              Chris

Name:	garden1a.jpg
Size:	767.5 KB
ID:	1076018

Name:	garden2a.jpg
Size:	766.6 KB
ID:	1076019

Name:	garden3a.jpg
Size:	749.3 KB
ID:	1076020

Name:	garden4a.jpg
Size:	689.7 KB
ID:	1076021

Name:	garden5a.jpg
Size:	751.4 KB
ID:	1076022
                              Attached Files
                              Unreal Forum Thread
                              Allison Road on Twitter

Comment

Lovely work so far! The logo is awesome.
                                Portfolio

Comment

Working...
                                X