No announcement yet.

Allison Road - Survival Horror

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very disturbing... somehow those morph target animations are creepily inhuman in themselves, reminiscent of a malfunctioning android flipping out (think Ash from the first Alien movie).

Can I ask a noob question: I know very little about materials, and of course this is WIP, and obviously I expect differences in appearance between the offline render and in-game shots, but is there a way to make the in-game skin's roughness look more like the render? Both the skin and the encrusted blood look a bit too shiny and plastic...

Don't mean to criticize, judging from your attention to detail I'm sure you plan to do plenty of tweaking until you're happy with the result

Keep up the good work!

SINGMETOSLEEP / PARASOMNIA / DARKDRIFT / ETERNAL APEX / PRETTY ABRASIVE MUSIC / TWITTER @ACATALEPT

Comment

heya!
      thanks for the feedback and crits. and by all means, please criticize as much as you want.. sometimes you really need a fresh pair of eyes to see problems

one thing I noticed is that no matter how much I play with the light setup and the shader I can't seem to get anywhere close to uncharted 4 render quality... I mean the stuff they showed of Drake that they claim is rendered with the game engine. In fact, the Temporal AA is so aggressive that you lose tons of detail, therefore I increased the roughness and normal maps a bit in strength to better results.
      having said that, I might be doing something wrong ..and as you pointed out might have overdone it

just to make sure, which images are you referring to exactly? then I can elaborate more.

ta!
      chris
      Last edited by HSbF6; 02-21-2015, 09:31 AM.
      Unreal Forum Thread
      Allison Road on Twitter
      Allison Road Facebook page

Comment

I recommend studying this presentation to learn some new shader tricks for higher quality rendering. I doubt it will be a stroll in the park though. :P

Powerpoint can be downloaded below, with all videos attached.
        http://www.iryoku.com/stare-into-the-future

I really like the work you have done so far, I may not give much feedback but I come back regularly and watch all your updates.
        Programmer, Rigger, Animator - Demo Reel 2015 - My RnD / WIP thread - www.dennylindberg.com
        Worked on: Kitten'd - Guardians of Valor (Android, iOS)

Comment

hey denny! that was great to watch, thanks a lot! I noticed a lot of these things actually refer to how the shaders work under the hood and how the renderer works. unfortunately I'm not even remotely techy enough to do that type of stuff :/
          but I'll see what I can tweak with the out of the box tools

thanks!
          Unreal Forum Thread
          Allison Road on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by HSbF6 View Post
            just to make sure, which images are you referring to exactly? then I can elaborate more.
            Again, I'm speaking from a layperson's POV, and I don't really know the correct terminology to be very specific, but here's an example:

Click image for larger version

Name:	render-vs-ingame.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1066984

I believe the left image is an offline render from your modeling app, and the right image is in-game.

The image on the left could pass as a photo: the skin uses convincing subsurface scattering, and the blood looks still wet but like it's started to dry in places. I've had a few moderately serious wounds over the years, and the blood tends to dry rather quickly, at least where it's thinnest, or not right on the top of the wound (if it's bleeding heavily). But I really like the smears and messiness of it all -- blood has a tendency to get *everywhere*

The image on the right the lighting is different, and there's more skin in shadow, but what you do see looks more "painted on" the surface, like the skin of a fruit or something. A little more specular than it should be, as if she were made of plastic. You may already be using UE4's SSS support: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ile/index.html and I'm not sure how costly this is performance-wise, or how complex to implement and get it looking like actual skin rather than marble etc... but as it is, it kind of stands out to me.

In the right image the blood looks much more wet, and there's much less detail, like it's thicker and more mucus-like. Maybe this is just a result of scaling down the resolution of the bump map or whatever you're using to give the material it's bumpiness. And it looks like there's no roughness map at all, so it all looks uniformly wet. Maybe this is just a creative decision, but I think the semi-rough (drier in some places than others) look of the render is more convincing.

This is probably splitting hairs, and we may never see the character nearly this close-up (I'm a firm believer in using sound, suggestion, etc to make it more about what you *don't* see)... but whereas in a racing game an inordinate amount of detail is dedicated to the cars themselves, in a game like this I would guess the impact is made or broken by that which scares the player I'm assuming that Lily will have a large role to play, and so an inordinate amount of time spent on the little details can spell the difference between "wow this is an impressive VR experience" and "bloody hell there's a dead girl trying to eat my face!"

Personally I most love those VR experiences that are so intense where I literally have to take off the headset for a while and take a break... but I can't wait to go back in. Yet there is the potential using the newest tools (like UE4) to create an experience so intense that I have to take a break... but I'm afraid to go back in

Again, this is looking really good so far, please take my comments with a grain of salt (more the perspective of a potential player than a skilled developer): you're much better at this than I'll ever be!

SINGMETOSLEEP / PARASOMNIA / DARKDRIFT / ETERNAL APEX / PRETTY ABRASIVE MUSIC / TWITTER @ACATALEPT

Comment

Looks like both of us are doing almost the same thing . Great work there!
              Twitter - EyeOfScar

Comment

Just.... keep updating !

Name:	1420003964841.jpg
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1066988

Holy panzers... Are you a one man team or ... how many of "you" are there ?
                ArtStation

General Development Blog

Comment

hey cheers you guys

TAN: one man 'team', yes B-) although not anymore. I finally found a couple of guys who'd like to help me out with the programming side of things and who don't cost me an arm and a leg, which is amazing. so hopefully some proper gameplay to show soon

acatalept:

very good points there! you know, I've been trying for quite a long time to get the same (or as close as possible) quality as i had in keyshot, but it still ends up looking a little blurry. the only time I got it all too look pretty super-sharp was when I turned off anti-aliasing, but obviously that looks pretty horrible in motion; especially the shirt shows quite some moire effect then.
                  very good point about the roughness, however. I'll definitely tweak that some more to get it more to look like the render. thanks dude!
                  Unreal Forum Thread
                  Allison Road on Twitter

Comment

Wow great chance mate. I'll be looking forward to this even tough I am scared of horror things Wish I could help you out.
                    ArtStation

General Development Blog

Comment

Looks absolutely great. I promise I wouldn't want her in my hallway, real or not. The morph target demonstration was just absolutely unsettling, in a good way. I'm kind of still looking over my shoulders !

Comment

haha thank you, thank you!

I'll post an update soon, making good progress over here. stay tuned!
                        Unreal Forum Thread
                        Allison Road on Twitter

Comment

hi there!

new Allison Road screenshot. all WIP of course. a new video also to come soon.

I also made a page over on IndieDB, if you want to connect, please send me a message!

http://www.indiedb.com/games/allison-road

thanks and have a good weekend all!

chris

Name:	Lily_hallway.jpg
Size:	580.8 KB
ID:	1068414
                          Attached Files
                          Unreal Forum Thread
                          Allison Road on Twitter

Comment

Wow, that looks great bro! Does she do anything yet? Keep up the good work!

Comment

Just one thing in this image: https://forums.unrealengine.com/atta...6&d=1414974741

The wood of table's legs should be vertical, not horizontal.

Comment

This creeps the **** out of me. Very good work!
                                @CarstenZarbock - Follow me on Twitter, thank you

Comment

Working...
                                X