Allison Road - Survival Horror

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTX 780Ti!

So, you are like me, Night warrior! Look forward to see more!
    Check my working title: The Locked Room here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...he-locked-Room

Comment

haha night warrior sounds about right 12:30am again.. urgh

anyway, I quickly wanted to show you the screenshots we talked about earlier today

as you can see, there's really nothing fancy going on in there at all. I got 3 reflection spheres capturing the scene right now for my metallic objects and 3 temporary lights inside the cupboard, because I wanted to see if I can get some more light in there. the latter doesnt really work, so I think I'll just give more GI bounces a go tomorrow. let's see.

I think for your scene you could try the reflection sphere thing (especially for the basin and toilet) and also play a little more with the shaders everything looks very bright; not sure if that's a texture thing or if there's actually a light in your room that's illuminating everything.
      anyway, keep it up, good stuff!

cheerio,
      chris

Click image for larger version

Name:	7a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	522.9 KB
ID:	1057998

Name:	8a.jpg
Size:	535.3 KB
ID:	1057999
      Unreal Forum Thread
      Allison Road on Twitter
      Allison Road Facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by HSbF6 View Post
        would you happen to know if there's a way to make the editor a little more indicative of the actual game performance?
        The settings from the Quick Settings menu (or whatever it is now called in 4.5) will only affect editor mode

Those settings can be applied to your standalone game with a Blueprint for example, you can make an options menu or you can simply put an Event Begin Play Node and link some Execute Console Command Nodes to execute them on play

sg.AntiAliasingQuality (1-4)
        sg.EffectsQuality (1-4)
        sg.PostProcessQuality (1-4)
        sg.ShadowQuality (1-4)
        sg.TextureQuality (1-4)
        sg.ViewDistanceQuality (1-4)

This page is full of information concerning the scalability of the engine

I'm not sure why you are getting such low performance with that GPU, try playing around with the scalability and by hiding objects in your scene one by one while keeping an eye on the performance in milliseconds (ms) , you'll eventually find out what in your scene is so performance hungry and from there you can optimize it and so on

I you are thinking about running this with the Rift DK2 try to aim for a steady 120+ fps @1080p at the highest quality that you will offer to ensure a smooth 75 fps experience in stereo 3D, stereo 3D doesn't cut your fps by half exactly but 140 fps would be an even safer target

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks! Most Materials & shaders are not final. I am impatient & wanted to have a feel of my game up as fast as possible after picking up UE4. There is no excuses for the lighting though, and I have many people that tell me I should make it darker, more eerie.

Anway, I also wanted to say, some of your modeling work is amazing, like the pattern on the ceiling lamps & the folds on the blanket!
          Check my working title: The Locked Room here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...he-locked-Room

Comment

hey you guys! thanks a lot for the tips and thumbs up really appreciated!

by the way, just to put it out there (because I was just like 'holy ****, this is friggin amazing')

so I finally got my Oculus Rift last week (will try and integrate VR support for Allison Road) and I had major problems getting demos/games to run smoothly without judder (which is a major downer when using the headset). after browsing forum after forum without finding a solution someone suggested to try the software 'Core Parking Manager' to set my core speed to the full 3.40GHz at all times.
            I'm not sure if that's only for i7 CPUs, but since I did that I get a silky smooth 3D experience in Alien Isolation.
            I just tried it with UE4 and ever since I set them to full speed my fps in the editor went up from 40fps-50fps to 100fps-120fps (in mono, though). :O
            wowsa.

Unreal Forum Thread
            Allison Road on Twitter

Comment

hi again!

finally got around to work on the exterior;
              lots of time went into this in the last two weeks (some looong nights);
              first I blocked and laid out all the stuff around the level to get a good feeling of space and then I went back in and started modeling things in detail;
              oh and I gave a lot of things a first pass of textures.
              starts to feel like a real place; especially in motion. will post a short clip at some point this week; just a quick look around.
              grinding on!

take care,

chris

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	625.2 KB
ID:	1060502

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	827.0 KB
ID:	1060503

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	927.4 KB
ID:	1060507

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	621.6 KB
ID:	1060511

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	672.3 KB
ID:	1060513

Name:	6.jpg
Size:	634.8 KB
ID:	1060514

Name:	7.jpg
Size:	960.7 KB
ID:	1060515

Name:	8.jpg
Size:	707.3 KB
ID:	1060516
              Attached Files
              Unreal Forum Thread
              Allison Road on Twitter

Comment

oculus rift test. earlier than planned. I thought it would be a big headache to set up, but that was literally plug and play. awesome.

it's running well at sp 130/140, which is slightly worrying given that there isn't all that much in the level yet.
                well; let's see how it goes further down the line.

Size:	840.5 KB
ID:	1060547

Size:	721.4 KB
ID:	1060548
                Unreal Forum Thread
                Allison Road on Twitter

Comment

Amazing! Stunning work my good man

Comment

thanks dude appreciated!
                    Unreal Forum Thread
                    Allison Road on Twitter

Comment

ok, quick update;
                      tweaked some settings and now got a stable 120-150fps in stereo; or 75 with vsync on. so far so good

cheerio!
                      Unreal Forum Thread
                      Allison Road on Twitter

Comment

update!
                        actually I updated loads of stuff, but I still want to tweak it some more. it's all about the detail :O

Size:	971.3 KB
ID:	1060839

Size:	875.5 KB
ID:	1060840
                        Unreal Forum Thread
                        Allison Road on Twitter

Comment

ok, quick update;
                          tweaked some settings and now got a stable 120-150fps in stereo; or 75 with vsync on. so far so good

cheerio!
                          The engine will always have processing overhead, so having an empty scene doesn't get you 1000fps or anything like that. The screenshots look nice so far, personally I'd turn down the fringe post-processing though.
                          Gangster Weapon Pack | Free Weapon Pack | Various Free Models

Comment

hey man
                            could you elaborate on that a little more, please?
                            what do you mean the engine always has processing overhead?

and thanks! I agree with the chromatic-ab and fringing.. that's just because I take screenshots from the Oculus.
                            Ingame it doesnt really have any of these effects/artifacts.

cheers!
                            Unreal Forum Thread
                            Allison Road on Twitter

Comment

hey man
                              could you elaborate on that a little more, please?
                              what do you mean the engine always has processing overhead?
                              I actually quoted the wrong post, I was basically replying to "it's running well at sp 130/140, which is slightly worrying given that there isn't all that much in the level yet."

Probably best for someone more technically minded to explain it though, but basically the engine has a certain amount of overhead in handling the rendering system, blueprint code etc. even when it's not doing much. The important thing to remember is the performance cost of visuals is non-linear. If you double the scene complexity, you won't necessarily halve performance.

Consider these two scenes:

Name:	PF2RA2N.jpg
Size:	468.9 KB
ID:	1060859
                              Despite the fact I increased the scene complexity by a pretty significant amount (each gun is about 2300 polys) the FPS only dropped by half.
                              Last edited by DaveFace; 11-10-2014, 04:01 PM.
                              Gangster Weapon Pack | Free Weapon Pack | Various Free Models

Comment

hey dave!

thanks for elaborating. I see what you mean
                                Unreal Forum Thread
                                Allison Road on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X